Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

late bars in cork

Options
  • 09-01-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

heh guys just wondering do ye have any recommendations for late bars in cork. beginning to get sick of all the clubs. any good place to go these days?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

SoHo, Counihans (sp?) and Crane Lane
    different crowds in each but they wold be the ones I frequent most

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

Pavilion is OK as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Brog, The Quad, The Slate and I think the Sky Bar. Think that's most of the ones not already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Where is the Slate, Kold?
    I feel a bit too old for Quod and An Brog, sometimes :)
    Do they have good music?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

The Slate is right beside the Quad. It's where people go when they feel they are to old (or cool) for the Quad or Brog.:cool:

• Advertisement

Oh, is that place! Thank you :) Will I be cool enough? Sure I'm old enough...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

The bodega is a late bar I think, not my scene though. Can't think of any others that haven't been already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I second The Slate and Crane Lane. :D

I only discovered the Slate before Christmas but I will be making it a regular haunt.

The Quad is okay, it smells tho and the toilets are scary.

The Quad is okay, it smells tho and the toilets are scary.

LOL :D I second u on the toilets.
    Anyway...I like the Quad some nights, cause I like the music...but sometimes I really feel a bit old there...blame the teenagers...lol
    Is the music in the Slate similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Music is quite similiar to the Quad.

I was in the Slate the weekend just before Christmas and it was really good. They had an alternative Christmas night with local singers and comedians and poets doing their take on Christmas. I think they have somthing on in there every Sunday night and its not too packed either.

The only problem is the sore head in work on Monday morning. :o

• Advertisement

I don't have a job :D (sigh)
    But in this moment I also don't have anyone to go out with...well, I'll try the place asap, thank you for the advice, Beans!

I'm not fond of the Quad for the simple reason that the place lacks any atmosphere mostly due to the sh*t sound system. Saying that I go there or the Slate often enough because people whinge about going to the Brog/Crane Lane which would be where I'd try to lead people.
    Is Scotts a late bar or do they charge for entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

dioltas wrote: »
    The bodega is a late bar I think, not my scene though. Can't think of any others that haven't been already mentioned.
    Think the Bodega has turned into a "club" at this stage and they charge to get in, one of my friends who works there told me that it might be closing down soon enought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

Kold wrote: »
    I'm not fond of the Quad for the simple reason that the place lacks any atmosphere mostly due to the sh*t sound system. Saying that I go there or the Slate often enough because people whinge about going to the Brog/Crane Lane which would be where I'd try to lead people.
    Is Scotts a late bar or do they charge for entry?

Scotts is a late bar, It's free entry up to 11pm I think. After that It's a fiver I think

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Think the Bodega has turned into a "club" at this stage and they charge to get in, one of my friends who works there told me that it might be closing down soon enought too.

Bodega is Currently closed for renovations and will be open in May as far as I know , all done up will be Bar's / Late bars / food / club.

Tirabella , I think you might like the Pavilion as well it's definitely worth checking .
    I'm not overly Fond of the Slate at all, and the Music is NOT like the Quad any time I've been in there. Old as I am I'd still go to the Quad before the slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Cool_CM wrote: »

has it not closed down to be replaced by a clothes shop or something?
    Scotts is a late bar, It's free entry up to 11pm I think. After that It's a fiver I think

paying to get into a late bar is scandalous.

the pavilion is a lovely late bar, great music in there every night of the week (check out the soul night on wednesdays, its brilliant)

Wallacebiy wrote: »
    Tirabella , I think you might like the Pavilion as well it's definitely worth checking .
    I'm not overly Fond of the Slate at all, and the Music is NOT like the Quad any time I've been in there. Old as I am I'd still go to the Quad before the slate.

TY for suggestions...everything is very new for me...
    The Pavillon, I've been there during the day (for a cappuccino), it's a nice location, relaxed...even if I usually prefere something a bit more rock'n'roll :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

The Bailey and Chambers are grand spots.

Waxys is a late bar too but not my scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 little miss sos

not sure waxy's is my scene. :) never thought of headin to chambers. have been in there during the day alright for the swap shop and liked the look of the place. what kinda vibe is in there at nighttime???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mcelligott

There are more late bars than you would think on the weekend - over 20 of them. You can see a list of them here

http://www.thebuzz.ie/index.php/bars-in-cork-city-with-late-license.html

• Advertisement

Hmm. What's the Boardwalk and Flux like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mcelligott

Could depend on your orientation - flux is a gay bar. Seems to be pretty popular in the gay scene but have never been there myself. Have not been to the boardwalk either. There are lots of mentions of it elsewhere but mostly about the food and people's opinion of neil prenderville who is involved in it. As a late bar, not sure. It's location may go against it but then again it is only 5 minutes to the crane lane if you don't like it.........

Might give it a go so. The Boardwalk, not Flux, went to a gaybar before actually when a gay friend was over visiting, they're not actually as fun as the TV shows make out, more sleazy. Makes sense though, I mean if there was a bar where I'm sure all the women were there just to meet guys, I'd probably be fairly single minded about it too when I was inside.

Although Neil Prendeville is an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Scotts is alright - it depends on your age, gender and music taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mike.230

Anybody know where would be a good spot for some good cover bands. They are not normally advertised like, only bands doing originals are listed on the web, as far as i can see anyway. Just looking for some good rock songs i recoginise and can sing along to when im drunk.

^^ Cyprus Avenue

Advertisement