Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord in breach?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for opinions here!

Myself and a few others have been renting a house since Summer 08. Ever since we moved in there have been nothing but problems. The property is managed by an estate agent, sometimes they have been good at getting things fixed, other times not. I've been the main person dealing with it all the problems and I've been quite stressed at times trying to get things sorted, problems have ranged from a utility being cut off due to external reasons, to the shower breaking, to sewerage pipes backing up constantly, and many more. None of this have been our fault, mostly I'm sure to the cowboys who refurbished the place.

I've complained also that the place is too cold, tried maybe to get curtains (some of the rooms only have blinds, you may as well just have the windows open), even though there is double glazing.

Anyway, the latest problem we've discovered is damp in the bedrooms, which is also spreading slowly into other rooms in the house. Some of our stuff has been destroyed by mould, and we've had to pack away the majority of our clothes to keep them safe. We were provided with a dehumidifier which we've had on all day, every day for weeks now.

The managment company have had plumbers and builders around to have a look at the problem. The dehumidifiers aren't doing anything, and we're paying for the extra cost incurred for the electricity with no offer of a reduction in rent, or compensation for the electricity.

Basically, we've had enough. The house is too cold, and damp. We've handed in our notice. We had signed a fixed term lease with no break clause. I've given written notice, as well as on the phone, stating the reasons. I think our reasons are legitimate, the house is not suitable.

Are we still at risk of losing our deposit and/or the landlord coming after us for the remainder of the rent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

*Bump* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Contact the PRTB or Threshold for advice. I would certainly say you could break your contract and get your deposit back if this has been an ongoing problem that isn't being resolved quickly.

Send a registered letter to the agency outlining the problems, how long each has been going on for, and tell them they have 1 month to resolve the issues and compensate you or you will be contacting a solicitor.

Advertisement