Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bus Lane on the Oscar Traynor road

Options
  • 09-01-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Yesterday I came home from Enfield and I decided to take the M50 => M1 => Coolock Route (Oscar Traynor road)

I'm sure everyone that uses that road will be aware of the problem at the cross roads at the Astropark. (For those unaware this road is one of the main routes off the M1, however until recently it was a single laned road. A couple of people looking to turn right at the cross roads would potentially back up traffic onto the slip road on the M1 and back the other way as far as Northside shopping centre)

Anyway over the the Last 1 1/2 Years they have widened the road to 2 lanes so that this traffic Jam doesn't happen (Longest time to widen such a short road ever I might add).

But what have they gone and done?

Slapped 2 Bus Lanes on either side of the Road, and after all that Money and Time spent on fixing the road we are back to square one. Worst of all the only Bus the uses that route is the 17a! which comes once a fortnight (Even if your waiting at the terminal)

I would imagine Dublin Bus does not pay for the Bus Lanes. we the people paying the Motor Tax pay for the roads... and what do we get for our money? A City littered with Bus lanes. I accept Bus lanes are required on some of the Busy routes.. but the 17a?!!!! COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Its makes my Blood Boil!
    I am defiantly taking this up with my local TD.

I believe they are looking to put a Bus Lane on the Raheny Road also!
    Its Crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

grahambo wrote:
    we the people paying the Motor Tax pay for the roads...

Motor tax isn't ringfenced for roads any more than alcohol excise duty is ringfenced for pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I''ve never seen a Gard doing anyone for using the bus lane for 20 yards to go around someone who is turnign right, so it will cu tout the right turner blocking traffic issue altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As far as I know, it is legal to use the bus lane to move around an obstruction including someone who's turning right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

the 27b also uses that route, and comes every fifteen minutes in both directions, and the 17a comes every 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if you ever wanted to see a construction company milk a job that is prime example i could have widened that road by myself in that amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

OP, your complaint is what exactly?

Before, it was a two lane road (one in each direction)...
    After, it is a two lane road (one in each direction)...

The fact that there is now a bus lane either side does not enter the equation (from a motorists perspective) apart from as Stark has rightly pointed out, now there is space where you can get by the obstruction that was causing you the blockage in the first place.

Can you point to the county council development plan statement that decreed that your particular stretch of road should become two lanes in each direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Neither bus lanes are open yet, so you could have quite legally used it when you drove down off the M1... :rolleyes:

Advertisement