Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke Vs Liverpool - 10/1/09 5.30pm

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ntlbell wrote: »
    in reply to someone elses post

i dont see how it breaks the rules?

every second post including your own here brings topics outside the match into it

so if i did so did 90% of the posters including you

Charter wrote:
    Flamebaiting in threads.
    Mild flaming or trolling.
    Provocation.
    Derailing or off topic posting in super threads.
    Flaming
    Trolling

take you're pick.

I agree i sank to your levels, but its the fact that these kind of threads seems to be your only contribution to this forum & the the fact that you always do it, which sets you apart.

anyway, i'm off out.

goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

spockety wrote: »
    Then I presume you're happy to use the UEFA Co-efficient as a decent barometer of consistency in the Champions League yeah? I mean, it uses a 5 year rolling window, so you'd want to be pretty consistent to get a high ranking. Also happily happens to be number of years that Rafa has been at the club.

Oh, almost forgot... Liverpool are third. United are 6th. Behind Arsenal.

If you're going to pick an argument and steer it around corners, at least use a map.
    Think that's a knockout blow right there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Mr Alan wrote: »
    tbf, they cant. this place has rules.

And as I see no bans and infractions and a moderator has recently posted in this thread it is fair to say that they haven't broken any

It doesn't matter how dislikable and troll worthy some of the posts are they haven't really crossed the line

No matter how much you or I would like to see them gone from here until such a time as they become abusive (and I don't see that happening) they are free to post here

If people stop replying to them then we can have more productive threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

ah well top of the league still. I'm off out and hoping for the draw tomorrow with a few sendings off, just for the crack like ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

and the centre backs
    I said nothing bad about any centre back. Unless you mean of course that I think one is a bit overrated. Still said nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

cant understand liverpool fans constantly slagging off rafa he took over a sihte squad and turned liverpool into a team that now sits top of the league and in his tenure turned liverpool in to the most consistent team in the champions league sure his decisions can be baffling but he will come good he always does this is a man who got djimi traore a champions league medal for christs sake. have a little faith lads
    IN RAFA WE TRUST
    Highsider wrote: »
    Sky sports generation me thinks. liverpool win= we are brilliant....Liverpool draw= we are ****e,Rafa out.:rolleyes:

It's pretty irritating to be honest. There are a couple of myths about Benitez's management which have been allowed to permeate into the general football fan's consciousness over the past couple of seasons. And they are now so deeply embedded, that people can't prevent themselves auto spewing them all over the place at even the remotest of opportunities.
    spockety wrote: »
    I wonder would it help match threads in general if a rule was brought in on the Soccer forum where it was not allowed to discuss the impact the match or the result of the match has on the rest of the league, or relative to other teams results against the same opposition? Maybe we need a sticky thread where all 'ramification' posts go in general, and leave the match threads to actually discuss incidents, tactics, goals, fouls etc., that occured in the actual match itself?

Excellent idea imo. Mod comment?

Chong wrote: »
    This forum is going to go in to meltdown over the next 4-5 months :D

Careful now. The owners of this site aren't big football fans as far as I am aware. They have shut this forum down when it became irritating before - and if things deteriorate further I wouldn't bet against them simply deciding to put us all on ice until sometime in June. Right now, I'd find it hard to argue forcefully against such an idea.
    Again Liverpool drop points its 15 pages long with a Man Utd fan with the most post on the thread how boring this is getting now
    And as I see no bans and infractions and a moderator has recently posted in this thread it is fair to say that they haven't broken any

It doesn't matter how dislikable and troll worthy some of the posts are they haven't really crossed the line

No matter how much you or I would like to see them gone from here until such a time as they become abusive (and I don't see that happening) they are free to post here

If people stop replying to them then we can have more productive threads

A fair percentage of the posts since 19.00 demonstrated a clear desire to wind people up. Yes, it would be great if people possessed a sufficient level of self - control and maturity to think 'what a stupid post - responding to it is a waste of everyone's time'. But we are talking about football fans on the internet. So - while there is merit to what you are saying - what comes first? The chicken or the egg?

It takes two to tango all right, but it begins with one of the two asking the other to dance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought Liverpool were quite poor and if Stoke were a bit more clinical they could have won it. What's the deal with Keane? Is there bad blood between him and Benitez or what? His treatment of him is a bit baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Mr Alan wrote: »
    whenever the gruesome twosome arrive, its usually the same.

Stoke got a draw against the team top of the league afterall so for them its......

Boggles & NTLbells day of fun!
    db2219-inbreeding-personafied.jpg

don't they look happy?

Man I'm sorry to be postin so late, but that picture is ****1n brilliant.
    I've already skipped loads of pages of bitchin, and im a man u supporter, but that picture is just the bees wax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well basically I'm just a football fan who wants to see as many teams challenging for the Premier League as possible as my own team is not in a position to do that. That statement I made was a bit of a frustrated rant.

I have nothing against Liverpool, in fact I'd love to see them win the PL.

Maybe what I said comes across as a bit harsh. But there are a few things I'll clear up here and now.

1. I firmly believe that Benitez is far too conservative and this is costing Liverpool too many points every season. Its clear he understand how to beat other teams while the game is ongoing, as he seems to do it consistently when the Liverpool go behind. He does however fail to do it time and time again when the game is still scoreless midway through the second half. Why the fcuk does he not treat that as the dire situation it is and go for it.

2. Everyone knew how good Torres was, why else would they pay so much for him? The thing is that you have a fantastic striker called Dirk Kuyt who is playing out of position and while he is a workhorse and is doing a decent job most of the time he was bought to score goals, not play on the wing, but now he is stuck on the wing. He is such a cracking goalscorer but his goalscoring touch will desert him if he continues to play out of position. Similarly Torres came to Liverpool and made an immediate impact, but confidence is very important for forwards and when you are being left out fo the team, you don't pass any heed at first, but then you wonder why and then you start to lack confidence and before you know it you end up on the scrap heap or playing with a lesser club than you should have been. Then you have Robbie Keane who for me has been great since he came to Liverpool and he starts making an impact and suddenly low and behold when they need a goal he cannot get a game. Why??????????????????

3. Now when all is said and done Liverpool have a great record as pointed out by someone earlier when using the 4-2-3-1 system but thats against the best sides not against your average relegation scrapping outfit. I have pointed out in the past something that was overlooked by everybody, the media, the fans, the forums.

Even though you insulted me at the beginning of your post, I'll point it out again.

Everyone said that the reason Liverpool were not in contention for the Leauge last season was because of their record against the big four. Well there was another stat that nobody looked at except me. Thats why I get annoyed at Benitez, his record in the Premier League is so poor in comparison to the other big teams against poor sides who are looking for a point.

Teams relegated in 2007/2008 season = Reading, Birmingham, Derby

Manchester United vs relegated = 14 points
    Chelsea = 18 points
    Arsenal = 16 points
    Liverpool = 11 points

I insulted your post, not you. I've nothing against you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

still going on? hardcore man, hardcore

aside from the sugar hill gang with their 'opinions' i thought we did really poorly. starting line up was a joke. robbie is the best lucozade tester on the planet but i wouldnt mind him playing football. isnt this why we bought him? to make sure we had proper front line attacking if torres werent there? yet hes on the bench - against f**kin stoke, away. really - forgoet your bias, forget your want of everything being 'okay' - thats just f**kin wrong. wtf liverpool, wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I dont think anyone has actually acknowledged Stokes performance. I knew this was a potential banana skin for Pool, like it has been for other teams, including United. Its a credit to them, for a newly promoted side, that they can strike such fear into teams arriving there. Its by no means sexy football but it can get them the most important thing of all, results.

The significance of that result depends on todays. Far from give United and Chelsea a greater incentive to win, I think it will make both teams not want to lose even more as a draw wont make things any worse than before this weekend. So by close of business today we could be in the exact same position we were in on Friday. And iirc correctly, Rafa was a genius and Pool were unstoppable on Friday. So we will probably see a lot of people revert to this opinion come next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

This season, more than ever, we are seeing the impact of all the Premier League money on the results in the league.

Almost weekly there is a "shock" or "unexpected" result and it comes down to the simple fact that the "smaller" clubs can afford to buy better quality and more experienced players than they were ten years ago. Stoke had players with Premier League experience in their first eleven, which has not always been the case with promoted teams.

Also, managers of lower league clubs appear to have learned a lot as the league has gotten richer. The bigger clubs are setting their sides up in very Champions League oriented formations, 4.2.3.1 etc. and so they really only have the personnel to play that way. These formations are a lot easier to defend against than a more traditional 4-4-2 since there is a lot less width and crossing from the dominant side.

We are just seeing the standard of the 20 Premier League sides getting closer, hence the scrap for the 4th to 8th places and the crazy situation in the bottom 10.

So, all in all, this result is great for the winner of United and Chelsea, but it is not devastating yet to Liverpool. Their reaction to this result is what will make or break their season. You can understand Benitez not bringing on Torres, considering the United game at Stoke, the chances of him getting a reoccurance of his injury is high based on the amount of hard tackling Stoke like to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Boggles and Ntlbell are contributing nothing to this thread, other than trying, with varying degrees of success, to wind up Liverpool fans and, along with one or two other, thanking each others "hilarious" posts.
    If it's not trolling, i don't know what is

Here's a revolutionary idea - REPORT THE FUCKING POSTS.

There's maybe two reported posts in this thread. Two out about 50 fucking retarded and childish 'contributions'.

If you have a problem with someone then do something about without whinging in the thread. Same goes for everyone else bitching.

Villain wrote: »
    This is exactly like the crap that went on before the Soccer Forum was closed totally and then you had all the posters begging for it to re-open and swearing they would behave. Just hope we don't end up back there again.

QFT, because that's the way it looks to be heading.
    Chong wrote: »
    This forum is going to go in to meltdown over the next 4-5 months :D

No it won't because as soon as any of it starts I'll be locking threads because I do not want this forum getting the bullet due to a couple of clowns who find it hilarious to shit stir every weekend. There's already a careful eye on the forum following the last time.

I think there's enough evidence to lock this crap anyway. One of the other mods can re-open it if they like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement