Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke Vs Liverpool - 10/1/09 5.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

boggels ntlbell and headshot can yous thank each other any more by any chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mr Alan wrote: »
    whenever the gruesome twosome arrive, its usually the same.

Stoke got a draw against the team top of the league afterall so for them its......

Boggles & NTLbells day of fun!
    db2219-inbreeding-personafied.jpg

don't they look happy?

That looks like Tony Adams!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Thought the game was a decent game a football today for a 0-0 draw but can't understand the decision to not play either Keane/Torres. Liverpool badly needed something up front and whilst Kuyt will run all day and hassle defenders, he lacks real pace or creativity that you get from the likes of Torres. Fair enough if he's not 100% fit but I'd rather start him and see how long he lasts and then replace him, by then he might have gotten a goal.

in fairness, we brought him back a little early last time & he got a re-occurance, and i'd imagine the reason Kuyt started ahead of Keane was because when Kuyt started in our last game up top without Keane, we gave our best performance of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

ntlbell wrote: »
    Well I'm a boh's fan

and hear it all the time..

Are you this immature in relation to matters pertaining to Irish football too? Or does that only apply when you become a Manc for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    its an incredible position, where the 3 top teams are all regularly playing hilariously bad football.

I think it's the first time in a long time that the league has been so tight whether it's the fact the smaller sides are playing above themselves or the top teams are playing generally ****e. There's no games you could really look at and say "that's a banker" anymore, whereas under Mourinho Chelsea wouldn't drop points foolishly and United wouldn't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DSB wrote: »
    Are you this immature in relation to matters pertaining to Irish football too? Or does that only apply when you become a Manc for the weekend?

I'm a retard most of the time.

have you anymore questions?

Probably, how much time do you have?

Probably, how much time do you have?

i have the time have you the energy?

more importantly

i can handle the pain if you can handle the smell...

I think it's the first time in a long time that the league has been so tight whether it's the fact the smaller sides are playing above themselves or the top teams are playing generally ****e. There's no games you could really look at and say "that's a banker" anymore, whereas under Mourinho Chelsea wouldn't drop points foolishly and United wouldn't either.

true, i think its because smaller teams, with the influx of money into the game, have improved their squads in general while at the same time they have learnt how to frustrate & get results against these teams.

its good for the game as a whole i think, the one annoying thing about it is when fans of rival clubs pretend that their team are immune to it.

• Advertisement

thats a bit harsh on retards;)

true, i think its because smaller teams, with the influx of money into the game, have improved their squads in general while at the same time they have learnt how to frustrate & get results against these teams.

its good for the game as a whole i think, the one annoying thing about it is when fans of rival clubs pretend that their team are immune to it.

chelsea were...united...were...

united v stoke 6 goals and 6 pints

liverpool v stoke 2 pints and 0 goals

if that's not immune to it i dunno what is...

unlucky tho...you really played them off the park today..

ntlbell

Could you possibly sign up with the poker forum team so I can get sent off ?

Thanks

in fairness, we brought him back a little early last time & he got a re-occurance, and i'd imagine the reason Kuyt started ahead of Keane was because when Kuyt started in our last game up top without Keane, we gave our best performance of the season.

Fair enough if it was for the good of the player because there's still a long way to go. I know Keane is playing bad but surely he has more about him as a striker than Kuyt has, especially when Babel came on wide. I thought the change would've been Torres and Keane up top with Gerrard out right and Kuyt out left when they were chasing 3 points.

i have the time have you the energy?

more importantly

i can handle the pain if you can handle the smell...

Ok then, what did you think of Riera's performance today? What do you feel the best chance of the game was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Rafa simply didn't have the balls to put out a semi attacking side against Stoke, he was afraid of them, I'm pretty sure he won't be too gutted that he got a point, Gerrard can't do it in every game, and starting a match against a side that have a good home record without strikers is quite simply baffling but not surprising when it comes to the odd decisions the Spaniard makes.

I stick by my prediction yesterday.

UNITED TOP BY NEXT SATURDAY EVENING, RAFA GONE TO POSSIBLY MADRID IN THE SUMMER!

• Advertisement

thats a bit harsh on retards;)

i have to pick on someone

ntlbell

Thanks

Why would i have to sign up

you can hit people on the sideline and get sent off....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Will be incredibly interesting to see the complexion of this forum tomorrow if Chelsea win at Old Trafford.

That will mean that even if United win all of their games in hand, they cannot rise above 3rd.

Oooer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

ntlbell

Thanks

Thats a bit of a ridiculous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What a snoozefest.

Keane must have done something to grotesquely offend Benitez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This is exactly like the crap that went on before the Soccer Forum was closed totally and then you had all the posters begging for it to re-open and swearing they would behave. Just hope we don't end up back there again.

Back on topic Rafa seemed to suggest he didn't put Keane on and go for the win because he felt Liverpool weren't in control and didn't want to risk losing the game, I find that a little odd if the Pool want to go on and win the title

Ok then, what did you think of Riera's performance today? What do you feel the best chance of the game was?

Shocking, that ex lad from Sunderland had him in his pocket.

chelsea were...united...were...

united v stoke 6 goals and 6 pints

liverpool v stoke 2 pints and 0 goals

if that's not immune to it i dunno what is...

i'm not talking about just Stoke. I'm talking about smaller teams in general.

Apologies there though, myself and Utd Irishman were actually talking about something relevant there, we may have distracted you from the job at hand for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Villain wrote: »
    Back on topic Rafa seemed to suggest he didn't put Keane on and go for the win because he felt Liverpool weren't in control and didn't want to risk losing the game, I find that a little odd if the Pool want to go on and win the title
    It gets harder and harder to defend his decisions. So so negative. :(

BOGGELS HELP ME HELP YOU

he's right in fairness....we were really so poor today. Stoke had numerous good chances.

BOGGELS HELP ME HELP YOU

? Help me then. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Good result for us overall. Would have liked the three points but hey we are clear at the top and i'll be hoping for a draw or a Chelsea victory tomorrow. Great to see Skrtel back playing a full 90 and Torres is slowly but surely getting ready for the run in. Interesting times ahead and we are more than matching our objective at seasons start to be in and amongest the leaders come the second half of the season.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

one of the most moronic posts i have ever read. Torres' career was in a real rut until Benitez took a chance on him. Now he's widely regarded as the best striker in the world. Cop on
    Well basically I'm just a football fan who wants to see as many teams challenging for the Premier League as possible as my own team is not in a position to do that. That statement I made was a bit of a frustrated rant.

I have nothing against Liverpool, in fact I'd love to see them win the PL.

Maybe what I said comes across as a bit harsh. But there are a few things I'll clear up here and now.

1. I firmly believe that Benitez is far too conservative and this is costing Liverpool too many points every season. Its clear he understand how to beat other teams while the game is ongoing, as he seems to do it consistently when the Liverpool go behind. He does however fail to do it time and time again when the game is still scoreless midway through the second half. Why the fcuk does he not treat that as the dire situation it is and go for it.

2. Everyone knew how good Torres was, why else would they pay so much for him? The thing is that you have a fantastic striker called Dirk Kuyt who is playing out of position and while he is a workhorse and is doing a decent job most of the time he was bought to score goals, not play on the wing, but now he is stuck on the wing. He is such a cracking goalscorer but his goalscoring touch will desert him if he continues to play out of position. Similarly Torres came to Liverpool and made an immediate impact, but confidence is very important for forwards and when you are being left out fo the team, you don't pass any heed at first, but then you wonder why and then you start to lack confidence and before you know it you end up on the scrap heap or playing with a lesser club than you should have been. Then you have Robbie Keane who for me has been great since he came to Liverpool and he starts making an impact and suddenly low and behold when they need a goal he cannot get a game. Why??????????????????

3. Now when all is said and done Liverpool have a great record as pointed out by someone earlier when using the 4-2-3-1 system but thats against the best sides not against your average relegation scrapping outfit. I have pointed out in the past something that was overlooked by everybody, the media, the fans, the forums.

Even though you insulted me at the beginning of your post, I'll point it out again.

Everyone said that the reason Liverpool were not in contention for the Leauge last season was because of their record against the big four. Well there was another stat that nobody looked at except me. Thats why I get annoyed at Benitez, his record in the Premier League is so poor in comparison to the other big teams against poor sides who are looking for a point.

Teams relegated in 2007/2008 season = Reading, Birmingham, Derby

Manchester United vs relegated = 14 points
    Chelsea = 18 points
    Arsenal = 16 points
    Liverpool = 11 points

Yeah that's the only thing I found strange. Fair enough they were in the ascendancy and the hit the post but putting 4 vs Stokes Back 4 would've forced them back further. It's coming to the stage of the season where 1 point against the so called smaller sides isn't worth much. Then again, like I said above with the top three playing so bad there's going to be a lot more points dropped along the way.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    It gets harder and harder to defend his decisions. So so negative. :(
    How is top of the league negative?

he's right in fairness....we were really so poor today. Stoke had numerous good chances.

I don't know I think it was crying out for Lucas to come off and Gerrard go back into the Centre and supply Keane and Torres?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yet another tactically inept performance from the Liverpool manager.

Its horryfying to watch and its even more head bangingly annoying when you just know that a simple 4-4-2 formation with Torres and Keane up front would have a much better chance of getting the result that Liverpool wanted.

You Liverpool fans can say what you want but for me its clear that Benitez does not have an earthly clue how to read a game and improve his team, lest they go behind that is.

Look at the approach that Benitez takes when Liverpool go behind early, he unleashes the attacking prowess that Liverpool possess, but as long as its nil fcuking nil, he does not seem to realise that you need three points against the poorer sides if you are going to win the league. Very same as last season.

Plea to Torres. Get yourself the fcuk away from Benitez before you end up becoming a hopeless case. You were superb before you came to Liverpool but I fear you will lose your chance to become one of the best the game has seen if you stay with Benitez.
    This is without a doubt the most stupid post i have ever read on this forum.

Highsider wrote: »
    Garrard and Torres manage to bail him out and the other top four haven't been great this season.

eagle eye wrote: »
    3. Now when all is said and done Liverpool have a great record as pointed out by someone earlier when using the 4-2-3-1 system but thats against the best sides not against your average relegation scrapping outfit. I have pointed out in the past something that was overlooked by everybody, the media, the fans, the forums.

you realise Utd & Chelsea both play 4.2.3.1 against virtually all teams, yea?

as for you stat in regards to the relegated teams, i was always aware of it....which is why i always said a slight improvement in those games, and a slight improvement in results against the top teams & we could close the gap.

we are well on course to doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Failing to beat a team like Stoke is negative. We should be putting at least 3 goals past teams like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

taught Babel should have been brought on earlier

he really looked dangerous

I find it very odd about Keane not coming on

when you spend around 20 million for a striker
    you expect him to play or at least come on

maybe Rafa is going back to old days of resting players

taught Babel should have been brought on earlier

he really looked dangerous

:eek:

I don't know I think it was crying out for Lucas to come off and Gerrard go back into the Centre and supply Keane and Torres?

true, but i think with the vein of goalscoring form Gerrard is in (5 in his last 5 before today) he wanted him up there if a chance broke.

which it very nearly did.= with him hitting the woodwork on a couple of occassions (granted, one was a free)

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    :eek:

what :D

Sherifu wrote: »
    Garrard and Torres manage to bail him out and the other top four haven't been great this season.
    bail him out? lol. You need to stop watching so much sky sports my friend.

when you spend around 20 million for a striker you expect him to play or at least come on

not in this day & age.

look at Tevez at utd for example at 32m

Failing to beat a team like Stoke is negative. We should be putting at least 3 goals past teams like this.
    Oh my god. Speechless. So lets totally forget the point that we are top of the league because we can't "put at least 3 past the likes of Stoke" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is without a doubt the most stupid post i have ever read on this forum.
    Give your opinion on where I'm going wrong then rather than just insulting a poster. I'm getting fed up of it being quoted without any proper argument.

If you want to insult people there is a forum for that.

bail him out? lol. You need to stop watching so much sky sports my friend.
    Don't watch sky sports. Not your friend. Pal.

• Advertisement

true, but i think with the vein of goalscoring form Gerrard is in (5 in his last 5 before today) he wanted him up there if a chance broke.

which it very nearly did.= with him hitting the woodwork on a couple of occassions (granted, one was a free)

Thats true and if Alonso was on the pitch I'd agree 100% but Lucas wasn't bringing Gerrard or Torres into play most of the balls going up to Torres were high long balls been sent in from from the back 4

not in this day & age.

look at Tevez at utd for example at 32m

thats why i personally dont think he'll be staying

its around 32m in total but utd have paid some of that allready

it'll be like around 25 milliion in summer if utd wanted him

cant understand liverpool fans constantly slagging off rafa he took over a sihte squad and turned liverpool into a team that now sits top of the league and in his tenure turned liverpool in to the most consistent team in the champions league sure his decisions can be baffling but he will come good he always does this is a man who got djimi traore a champions league medal for christs sake. have a little faith lads
    IN RAFA WE TRUST

Thats a bit of a ridiculous post.

I was joking sugar tits.

cant understand liverpool fans constantly slagging off rafa he took over a sihte squad and turned liverpool into a team that now sits top of the league and in his tenure turned liverpool in to the most consistent team in the champions league sure his decisions can be baffling but he will come good he always does this is a man who got djimi traore a champions league medal for christs sake. have a little faith lads
    IN RAFA WE TRUST

yea it#s amazing what a few pentalty shoot outs can do:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement