Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke Vs Liverpool - 10/1/09 5.30pm

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I wonder would it help match threads in general if a rule was brought in on the Soccer forum where it was not allowed to discuss the impact the match or the result of the match has on the rest of the league, or relative to other teams results against the same opposition? Maybe we need a sticky thread where all 'ramification' posts go in general, and leave the match threads to actually discuss incidents, tactics, goals, fouls etc., that occured in the actual match itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yet another tactically inept performance from the Liverpool manager.

Its horryfying to watch and its even more head bangingly annoying when you just know that a simple 4-4-2 formation with Torres and Keane up front would have a much better chance of getting the result that Liverpool wanted.

You Liverpool fans can say what you want but for me its clear that Benitez does not have an earthly clue how to read a game and improve his team, lest they go behind that is.

Look at the approach that Benitez takes when Liverpool go behind early, he unleashes the attacking prowess that Liverpool possess, but as long as its nil fcuking nil, he does not seem to realise that you need three points against the poorer sides if you are going to win the league. Very same as last season.

Plea to Torres. Get yourself the fcuk away from Benitez before you end up becoming a hopeless case. You were superb before you came to Liverpool but I fear you will lose your chance to become one of the best the game has seen if you stay with Benitez.
    I'm gonna bump this one in case anyone missed it. I myself think the last paragraph is the best.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cant understand liverpool fans constantly slagging off rafa he took over a sihte squad and turned liverpool into a team that now sits top of the league and in his tenure turned liverpool in to the most consistent team in the champions league sure his decisions can be baffling but he will come good he always does this is a man who got djimi traore a champions league medal for christs sake. have a little faith lads
    IN RAFA WE TRUST
    Ah djimi, good times. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I was joking sugar tits.

:mad: I was hoping for a pitch near a car park....

ntlbell wrote: »
    yea it#s amazing what a few pentalty shoot outs can do:rolleyes:

Well the current United squad can thank a penalty shoot out for their Champions League medals, in fairness.

:mad: I was hoping for a pitch near a car park....

I bet you were ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Highsider wrote: »
    Oh my god. Speechless. So lets totally forget the point that we are top of the league because we can't "put at least 3 past the likes of Stoke" :pac:

Not what I said. It's great that we are top of the league, but we should've been looking for the 3 points to put a bit of a gap between us and the rest.....? That's what I was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not in this day & age.

look at Tevez at utd for example at 32m

Small bit of irony there, considering Tevez set up Berbatov who was brought on to get the winner against Stoke. ;)

cant understand liverpool fans constantly slagging off rafa he took over a sihte squad and turned liverpool into a team that now sits top of the league and in his tenure turned liverpool in to the most consistent team in the champions league sure his decisions can be baffling but he will come good he always does this is a man who got djimi traore a champions league medal for christs sake. have a little faith lads
    IN RAFA WE TRUST
    Sky sports generation me thinks. liverpool win= we are brilliant....Liverpool draw= we are ****e,Rafa out.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Anyone else see xavi's head exploding when he looks at this thread tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

you realise Utd & Chelsea both play 4.2.3.1 against virtually all teams, yea?

as for you stat in regards to the relegated teams, i was always aware of it....which is why i always said a slight improvement in those games, and a slight improvement in results against the top teams & we could close the gap.

we are well on course to doing that.
    I'm tempted to put up youtubes to show you what I mean. But instead here is what I believe, Liverpool play a very strict system where most of the play is in the centre of the park especially when attacking the opposition.

When United attack, you have players who are capable of crossing the ball on both sides of the pitch. Similarly with Chelsea, up to this season there was always a danger of a ball from either flank when they attacked. I firmly believe that if you look at Chelsea this year compared to other seasons that the midfielders are almost tripping over each other. Thats very similar to Liverpool where you see players almost getting in each others way, you don't see that with United.

I'm not a United fan by any means by the way. I think the United fans know that after a recent comment I made concerning their manager.

Not what I said. It's great that we are top of the league, but we should've been looking for the 3 points to put a bit of a gap between us and the rest.....? That's what I was saying.
    No it's not. You are saying teams the likes of Stoke should be rolled over..Why? United squezzed past them and if steve's shot had of gone the other side of the post in injury time we would'nt be getting posts the likes of your's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm not a United fan by any means by the way. I think the United fans know that after a recent comment I made concerning their manager.

and the centre backs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sorry what

thought it was pretty obvious. prob had too much sugar to realise tho. with all the excitement of liverpool getting an away draw and rafa "completely losing the plot" yesterday u must not be at your usual speed

Can we all just blame Rory Delap? No one likes Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

spockety wrote: »
    Well the current United squad can thank a penalty shoot out for their Champions League medals, in fairness.
    and for being the only undefeated team in the competition, scoring the most goals and conceding the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

This forum is going to go in to meltdown over the next 4-5 months :D

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    and for being the only undefeated team in the competition, scoring the most goals and conceding the least

Deserved winners, no doubt about it.

Just like Liverpool were deserved winners of the Champions League, penalty shoot out or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boggles wrote: »
    Small bit of irony there, considering Tevez set up Berbatov who was brought on to get the winner against Stoke. ;)

that would be a good point if Rafa didnt bring on any attacking player

but Rafa brought on a striker and winger/forward today in Torres & Babel.

it was the two players i wanted to see him bring on too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Deserved winners, no doubt about it.

Just like Liverpool were deserved winners of the Champions League, penalty shoot out or not.

Agreed

poor form trying to slag off any teams achievements

that would be a good point if Rafa didnt bring on any attacking player

but Rafa brought on a striker and winger/forward today in Torres & Babel.

it was the two players i wanted to see him bring on too.

He started without attackers, that was my point.

I'm tempted to put up youtubes to show you what I mean. But instead here is what I believe, Liverpool play a very strict system where most of the play is in the centre of the park especially when attacking the opposition.

When United attack, you have players who are capable of crossing the ball on both sides of the pitch. Similarly with Chelsea, up to this season there was always a danger of a ball from either flank when they attacked. I firmly believe that if you look at Chelsea this year compared to other seasons that the midfielders are almost tripping over each other. Thats very similar to Liverpool where you see players almost getting in each others way, you don't see that with United.

i'm not denying we go through the middle more than the other teams, but your issued seemed to be with the formation. the same formation both Chelsea & Utd use.

to be perfect honest, the reason we go through the middle more than Utd is because our midfield is a lot better than theres with Alonso,Mascherano & Gerrard.
    He started without attackers, that was my point.

em, he started with Kuyt. the same fella who spearheaded our best attacking performance of the season against Newcastle.

em, he started with Kuyt. the same fella who spearheaded our best attacking performance of the season against Newcastle.

I saw that match, Kuyt had nothing to do with it and was eventually replaced with a Centre back, I could have played up against that drunken Newcastle defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Again Liverpool drop points its 15 pages long with a Man Utd fan with the most post on the thread how boring this is getting now

I saw that match, Kuyt had nothing to do with it and was eventually replaced with a Centre back, I could have played up against that drunken Newcastle defense.

Hey !

Hangovers dont count as still drunk and you know it! :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

he should have started with keane, kuyt, gerrard and reira. forgot yossi - hes sh1te

i thought Yossi has been really excellent the last number of weeks.

are you so clueless about football that you really think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads , Pool lads in fact why do you continue to let yourself get wound up , their are ppl who here whos sole goal is to wind ye up, how this thread is so long is beyond me.

I honestly can't remember Kuyt doing one thing.

You didn't need him for his endless running because there was no where to run to, Liverpool were camped in Newcastles half.

What did he do exactly?

• Advertisement

i know Chong :(

its just annoying. tbh people whos sole objective is just to wind people up & contribute nothing else to the forum should just be banned.

Yet anytime anything negative towards Liverpool happens, the same person riles the situation up worse and worse and then retreats into the night until his next opportunity arises.

its a joke tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

how come when things are going great you stfu but as soon as theres a bad performance you are out of the woodwork with your tactical genius ready to point out what we should have done?

eh ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58395359&postcount=270

apology in the post please.

This is the reason you were voted the most bias poster on this board Alan. Rafa makes mistakes. Ferguson makes mistakes. Mouriniho makes mistakes. Every manager makes mistakes. It doesnt make you less of a fan to admit it.

Before the game I said that I thought the team selection was wrong...and I stand by that. How can you defend Rafa in this case ? I have never seen Kuyt play well as a lone striker. I like the guy, but not as a lone striker. Hes played that role a few times this season but I dont think he has scored while playing in that position. I dont think hes fast enough for it, I dont think hes clinical enough for it, I dont think he has any of the attributes necessary to play in that role.

I also think it was a mistake to play with 2 deep midfielders. Were they really needed ? Stoke have scored the second least amount of goals in the league. I think Mascherano and Gerrard in the middle would have been fine. That way, we could have played with 2 strikers.

...and leaving Kuyt/Lucas on for 90 minutes was another mistake. Neither of them were offering anything, while Robbie Keane who has scored 3 goals in his last 3 games, sat on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

keane should have been playing or at least brought on.

Another error by Benitez and they will add up and prove costly

apologies if my post seemed harsh Tusky.

but my point is, 1 game after that post you are back to thinking you know better than the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

i know Chong :(

its just annoying. tbh people whos sole objective is just to wind people up & contribute nothing else to the forum should just be banned.

Yet anytime anything negative towards Liverpool happens, the same person riles the situation up worse and worse and then retreats into the night until his next opportunity arises.

its a joke tbh.

To be fair they can post whatever tripe they like

If people didn't reply to said tripe then this forum might be a more worthwhile place

tbf, they cant. this place has rules.

The point is about consitenty in the champions league

the year you won it 2 of the 3 games was won on penalities

the same year in the group stages you were beaten by monoco and olymipicos

drew at home to deportivo

etc etc so using the champions league seems to be the only card left to play to try and justify raffa

i know i know your top of the league now....but now makes f*ck all difference in may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If people didn't reply to said tripe then this forum might be a more worthwhile place

+1

I use this forum to discuss football with other fans. A lot of people are the same. Some people just aren't worth discussing football with, but other people have the mentality of just having to blindy defend any comments that are negative towards their team.

If people are posting rubbish just to wind you up then ignore it, I really don't see what you're getting out of replying. You end up being just as much a part of a problem as the wind up merchants.

tbf, they cant. this place has rules.

who's breaking them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

who's breaking them?

Go find a mirror son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

apologies if my post seemed harsh Tusky.

but my point is, 1 game after that post you are back to thinking you know better than the manager.

I dont know better than the manager. Doesnt mean I cant disagree with him though. Theres lots of things I love about Benitez, but they are lots of things that frustrate me about him too. This board would be pretty boring if we didnt express our opinions.

Spielberg knows more about making movies than me...but Indy 4 is still a **** film ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Villain wrote: »
    Go find a mirror son

QFT :)

Villain wrote: »
    Go find a mirror son

Can you show me a post where i broke the rules?

'son'

Then I presume you're happy to use the UEFA Co-efficient as a decent barometer of consistency in the Champions League yeah? I mean, it uses a 5 year rolling window, so you'd want to be pretty consistent to get a high ranking. Also happily happens to be number of years that Rafa has been at the club.

Oh, almost forgot... Liverpool are third. United are 6th. Behind Arsenal.

If you're going to pick an argument and steer it around corners, at least use a map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

the year you won it 2 of the 3 games was won on penalities

the same year in the group stages you were beaten by monoco and olymipicos

drew at home to deportivo

etc etc so using the champions league seems to be the only card left to play to try and justify raffa

i know i know your top of the league now....but now makes f*ck all difference in may

Who else did we beat on pens in 2005 i can just remember AC Milan in the Final

knock out Rounds
    Last 16 Bayer Levkussen *spelt wrong i know* Agg Score 6-2
    Quater Final Juve Agg score 2-1
    Semi Final Chelsea Agg score 1-0
    Final won on pens

3 teams in the group were all league winners

Tusky wrote: »
    I dont know better than the manager. Doesnt mean I cant disagree with him though. Theres lots of things I love about Benitez, but they are lots of things that frustrate me about him too. This board would be pretty boring if we didnt express our opinions.

Spielberg knows more about making movies than me...but Indy 4 is still a **** film ;)

fair enough mate.

can just be a little frustrating is all when we are very clearly showing great progress every year under Rafa.
    Can you show me a post where i broke the rules?

'son'
    more like

oooooooooooo matron

alex_-_Manchester_U_491995a.jpg

relevence to the Liverpool/Stoke match thread? or a post made solely to get a reaction?

you decide.

fair enough mate.

can just be a little frustrating is all when we are very clearly showing great progress every year under Rafa.

relevence to the Liverpool/Stoke match thread? or a post made solely to get a reaction?

you decide.

in reply to someone elses post

i dont see how it breaks the rules?

every second post including your own here brings topics outside the match into it

so if i did so did 90% of the posters including you

Who else did we beat on pens in 2005 i can just remember AC Milan in the Final

knock out Rounds
    Last 16 Bayer Levkussen *spelt wrong i know* Agg Score 6-2
    Quater Final Juve Agg score 2-1
    Semi Final Chelsea Agg score 1-0
    Final won on pens

3 teams in the group were all league winners

apoligies m bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

This is where it all went wrong is what they will say.

Keane and Torres on the bench.

What a gowl.

Poor performance from the 4th best team in England IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This is where it all went wrong is what they will say.

Keane and Torres on the bench.

What a gowl.

Poor performance from the 4th best team in England IMO.

Villa number 3?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement