Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: Idea for new tatt

Options
  • 09-01-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

hi

ok so im thinking of getting koi fish on my calf, but im wondering is this too common and or what could i get that has similar represtentation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Now I could be wrong but to my knowledge the Koi tattoo has many differing meanings depending on other elements in the tattoo also depending on the colour of the koi itself and how many there are. I think I also read somewhere that depending on whether you have it swimming up or downstream can affect the meaning. However, to my knowledge the overriding symbolism of the koi is knowledge and truth. Hope that helps a bit, if I think of something symbolising knowledge and truth I'll let you know. Personally I dont think the Koi is a bad choice for a tattoo. Its classic Japanese as much as the Hannya or Samurai are, there are also so many variations that despite their commonality (is that a word?) you can personalise the koi tat to a great degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I thought the koi tat was meant to bring good kuck and fortune. Thats whats it's always touted as on Miami Ink. Could be another variation like you sai, Diceicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

shivkk06 wrote: »
    hi

ok so im thinking of getting koi fish on my calf, but im wondering is this too common and or what could i get that has similar represtentation?
    Koi Dragon leg piece!! FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

The koi has many "meanings" as such.

In Japanese mythology, the koi swim up the golden river (koi are one of the few fish that swim upstream) , if they manage to reach the top they are transformed into a dragon!

Koi are held in high regard in Japanese and other cultures because:

*They are strong willed - they swim upstream/against the current so can represent triumph over adversity.

*They are called the samurai fish as when caught, rather than wriggle and try to escape/panic, they lay perfectly still and eyeball the knife and accept their fate, the way samurai do.

*they are considered magical/lucky because of the dragon legend/folklore associated with them.

*they are also associated with family and children, children in Japan fly Koi kites at festivals for good luck.

I have a koi side piece that I love, I got it because I liked both the particular design and colour scheme I chose and also because of the associated meanings of the design.

Its your calf, if you want one go for it, dont be worrying about other peoples opinions ;)

Good luck!

Molberts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Molberts wrote: »
    I have a jamazing koi side piece
    Fixed it for you dear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

Koi Dragon leg piece!! FTW!

hey raze really dumb but what is FTW

ok cheers for opions i went koi, im changing colours to my own preferences its not finished yet but will put pic of it so far up in few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

shivkk06 wrote: »
    hey raze really dumb but what is FTW

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=FTW

k heres what i have so far, rest of koi is going to be pink colour and blue waves to be finished

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looking good so far! Is there any kind of background going in, or just the couple of waves that we can see + the lotus flowers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

lookin good! love the white highlights in the blossoms, hope youre pleased with it so far :)

only waves that can be seen for now. yeah im delighted with it so far cant wait to have it finished

finally got it finished havent been on for while so here is finished piece

Advertisement