Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penality Points Question

Options
  • 09-01-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Just a quick question..

If a northern reg driver is caught speeding in the south can the points be given? I know that previously points could not be placed on a northern license but this was due to change just wandering has this been brought in to power yet? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Implementation doesn't exist yet but the agreement in principle does. For the moment they can't be given.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it depends on how they are caught.
    The gardai have no way of knowing who owns which car so if the car is not stopped then the driver should be fine.
    However, if the driver is stopped, the gardai can record the UK licence number and if its transferred for an RoI licence then the points appliced.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Sorry what do you mean by if its transferred for an RoI licence then the points appliced?

Do you mean that if the person applies for a RoI License? This wouldnt realy be much of an issue for most people anyway as a UK license covers the RoI as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I think I am right on this, but a UK license doesn't cover you here if you take up residency.... you take up residency here in Ireland, the law states that you must have an irish licence....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

robtri wrote: »
    I think I am right on this, but a UK license doesn't cover you here if you take up residency.... you take up residency here in Ireland, the law states that you must have an irish licence....

Thanks for all the answers that answers my question!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My wife (despite my best advice) eventually gave up her NI licence for an RoI one. In order to transfer it, they wanted the NI one. I presume that the guys in Kildare Co Co ran a check for any points being kept warm for her against her NI licence number.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think they say this; and it wouldn't be legal for them to claim it anyway - any EEA licence is valid till its expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Utter nonsense, as has been quoted here many, many times before. Any EU licence, from the UK or otherwise, is valid until it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

where did you get this information from?

Which law are you referring to?

You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Think again, that law only applies if your licence is not from one of the recognised states (EU, EEA and a few others) and only if you're gonna be here for more than a year.

You're permitted to exchange your recognised license for an Irish one if you wish but you don't have to.

OP: There is currently no system for mutual recognition of driving points between Ireland and UK. The authorities have agreed to recognise driving bans but no legislation has been passed yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement