Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with Feedback

Options
  • 09-01-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while, I hope the admins will take the time to read this and let us know what they think.

I do love boards in many ways but I've gotta say I think the feedback mechanism for this site (i.e. this forum, Feedback) is somewhat lacking. This is not a rant, this is an observation which I've been thinking about for some time and I hope it can be constructive.

Most websites have a means of communicating feedback to the site operators. Usually via an email address. It rarely takes the form of something that allows any member (any old joe soap) to chip in with their 2 cents by replying to the feedback. This is how it happens on boards.ie and this, in my opinion, has resulted in a culture of veiled slight hostility to many feedback threads in this forum. Some of them maybe deserve it but many of them don't - I think this may discourage people from delivering genuine constructive feedback. I feel that this is bad for boards.ie and it is at odds with how customer service systems/feedback mechanisms/whatever you want to call them.

Many items of Feedback are picked over and torn to pieces by people who do not have any interest in improving the site, many of whom are moderators who are not employed or authorised by the owners to reply to feedback on behalf of the owners. Yet to an inexperienced user, any moderator might be taken as the "official" voice of boards.ie.

This culture of hostility to feedback from users has also resulted in those tiresome "Have you PMed the mods?" and "Links/examples please?" replies. Sometimes they are necessary, but by and large they tend to establish an immediate air of suspicion about someone's feedback which is frequently not deserved. They also add to the impression that any joe soap, moderator or otherwise, is qualified to make judgements or otherwise act on feedback to the site, which is not the case. They are at odds with an air of professionalism which would be expected from most large websites such as this.

I might appear to run the risk of drowning in my own negativity, so here is my suggestion as to how the above problems could be remedied: Reverse the roles of the Help Desk and Feedback forums, and clarify and enforce the distinction between each forum. This is how it would work:

-Open the Help Desk so everyone can reply. If someone has a query as to how the place is run, they can turn to the Help Desk where many members will probably be happy to help them out. This site is full of helpful people after all. Strictly no grievances/rants/ban appeals allowed here, only people looking for some assistance of some sort.

-Close the Feedback forum so anyone can start a thread containing feedback on how the site is run, but only admins/smods (or maybe even admins only) can reply. If someone has a grievance, it goes here. Obviously, trolls and nuisance users should not be tolerated but I think people delivering genuine constructive feedback should not be discouraged from doing so by a general air of negativity. Perhaps a "suggestion box" mechanism whereby feedback could be sent invisibly (but not anonymously) could be looked into, maybe something like the Reported Posts forum.

We all love a good debate on this site and lot of us secretly love a big trainwreck of a thread. But I don't think the feedback mechanism for a company is the place for this. I think some changes in how feedback is delivered to the people who run the site would be a very positive thing for boards.ie. My key point is that every user/moderator does not have the ability to constructively act on feedback delivered to the site and therefore should not be given the ability to reply to that feedback - feedback should be read by the site owners, it can be ignored if necessary, but it should not be open to debate.

We've seen some positive changes since this forum was actively moderated (although part of me misses the lolcats) but I think more changes are necessary. Maybe this could be carefully looked into when the Community Manager is taken on. Thanks for reading :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

cornbb wrote: »
    Most websites have a means of communicating feedback to the site operators. Usually via an email address. It rarely takes the form of something that allows any member (any old joe soap) to chip in with their 2 cents by replying to the feedback. This is how it happens on boards.ie and this, in my opinion, has resulted in a culture of veiled slight hostility to many feedback threads in this forum. Some of them maybe deserve it but many of them don't - I think this may discourage people from delivering genuine constructive feedback. I feel that this is bad for boards.ie and it is at odds with how customer service systems/feedback mechanisms/whatever you want to call them.

Other forums I frequent utilise public and private feedback options. Might be the way to go? Although for all I know there is already an alternative feedback route that I am unaware of...
    Many items of Feedback are picked over and torn to pieces by people who do not have any interest in improving the site, many of whom are moderators who are not employed or authorised by the owners to reply to feedback on behalf of the owners. Yet to an inexperienced user, any moderator might be taken as the "official" voice of boards.ie.

:eek: I thought mods were 'authorities' :(
    This culture of hostility to feedback from users has also resulted in those tiresome "Have you PMed the mods?" and "Links/examples please?" replies. Sometimes they are necessary, but by and large they tend to establish an immediate air of suspicion about someone's feedback which is frequently not deserved. They also add to the impression that any joe soap, moderator or otherwise, is qualified to make judgements or otherwise act on feedback to the site, which is not the case. They are at odds with an air of professionalism which would be expected from most large websites such as this.

Ppl do get away with a bit in these thread alright.

Two questions:
    How often do things requiring real 'feedback' come up?
    Do site admins actually care?

(Thoughtful post btw, gj)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

And then the usual hilarious tossers wade in with pictures of cats when you just want to make point to the admins. These cretins should be banned for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Tristram wrote: »
    Other forums I frequent utilise public and private feedback options. Might be the way to go? Although for all I know there is already an alternative feedback route that I am unaware of...

Nope, unless maybe you could get hold of the email address of one of the admins and email them, although that is definitely not an official way of making feedback
    :eek: I thought mods were 'authorities' :(

In a way, but only in whatever little corner of boards they moderate. They can make policies for their own forums but do not have any say in how the site as a whole is run.

Two questions:
    How often do things requiring real 'feedback' come up?

Good question - I reckon more feedback, and higher-quality constructive feedback, would be made if some changes were implemented.
    Do site admins actually care?

I don't know, I'm sure they do, I think it would certainly be in their interest to care and to take good feedback into account.
    (Thoughtful post btw, gj)

Cheers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Interesting points raised OP. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people post in Help Desk with queries that most regulars could answer easily but only SMods/Admins or the few mods with Help Desk access can actually answer. Usually they could be answered by reading stickies or the Newbies forum but we know people will post in Help Desk anyway and some of these things are either undocumented or hard to find. Examples from the first two Help Desk pages:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055457626
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055457496
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055457158
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055456302
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055452156
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454307
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055453954

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people post in Help Desk with queries that most regulars could answer easily but only SMods/Admins or the few mods with Help Desk access can actually answer. Usually they could be answered by reading stickies or the Newbies forum but we know people will post in Help Desk anyway and some of these things are either undocumented or hard to find.

Yes, I would certainly agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I get the spirit of your post, but I can't say I agree with reversing the roles of the Help Desk and feedback. However, I do agree that sometimes the line is blurred and the role of either forum is often not very clear.

In regards to feedback, I do feel that to some degree it may be unfair to ask *all* feedback to go through the public process. However at the same time, it would be unfair to consider an individual piece of feedback and act on that without giving the community at large a chance to respond and let their feelings be known.

Boards.ie is shaped by its members, so one user does not represent the views of the whole, which is why the whole has the opportunity to respond.

There indeed may be usefulness in a "suggestion box" type of feature, where suggestions which don't impact the whole community (or which are blatantly just good ideas) can be quietly dealt with. Other suggestions such as "Change the way the Pro Wrestling Forum is moderated", should absolutely 100% be thrown to the wolves so that they can give their opinion. Perhaps they could be "massaged" by the relevant person so that the suggestor actually gets their point across before it goes public.

And then the usual hilarious tossers wade in with pictures of cats when you just want to make point to the admins. These cretins should be banned for life.

That usually only happens now if the thread has run its course or the OP is clearly acting the maggot. There are very few idiotic replies in the early stages of a genuine feedback thread these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

+1

seamus wrote: »
    I get the spirit of your post, but I can't say I agree with reversing the roles of the Help Desk and feedback. However, I do agree that sometimes the line is blurred and the role of either forum is often not very clear.

At the very least I think the role of each forum should be clarified and enforced.
    In regards to feedback, I do feel that to some degree it may be unfair to ask *all* feedback to go through the public process. However at the same time, it would be unfair to consider an individual piece of feedback and act on that without giving the community at large a chance to respond and let their feelings be known.

Boards.ie is shaped by its members, so one user does not represent the views of the whole, which is why the whole has the opportunity to respond.

This is a very noble idea in principle, but in practice I don't think it always works out terribly well. Yes, users should have a say in how the site is run - they should have a say in forum charters etc. But many feedback threads descend into mayhem after hundreds of replies, and any sort of meaningful consensus can disappear very quickly. In these instances, potentially useful feedback can be masked by a hundred unhelpful replies and forgotten about very quickly. But I suppose you are right that some sort of public consultation is often desirable.
    Other suggestions such as "Change the way the Pro Wrestling Forum is moderated", should absolutely 100% be thrown to the wolves so that they can give their opinion.

I think that this sort of feedback rarely has a positive outcome, unfortunately. I think even the very phrase "thrown to the wolves" represents a lot of what is wrong with this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

<snip oh lordy>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Personally, I think the recent clampdown in Feedback and the move to using the Help Desk more has been a step in the right direction.
    Nope, unless maybe you could get hold of the email address of one of the admins and email them, although that is definitely not an official way of making feedback

You could PM the admins I would think.

There's a Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Anyone know who this goes to? (Assume it is admins).
    Interesting points raised OP. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people post in Help Desk with queries that most regulars could answer easily but only SMods/Admins or the few mods with Help Desk access can actually answer. Usually they could be answered by reading stickies or the Newbies forum but we know people will post in Help Desk anyway and some of these things are either undocumented or hard to find. Examples from the first two Help Desk pages:

I did think about doing video demos and putting together a "How to Use boards guide" but the cost of software was a bit expensive. A wiki "how to use boards" might be helpful.
    I get the spirit of your post, but I can't say I agree with reversing the roles of the Help Desk and feedback.

Agreed. Don't see what this would achieve.

This has always been the boards ethos.
    At the very least I think the role of each forum should be clarified and enforced.

Yeah, that I would agree with, though perhaps it is useful that there is some overlap.
    This is a very noble idea in principle, but in practice I don't think it always works out terribly well.

I agree but I can't think of the last time I saw a good, genuinely thought out idea derided in Feedback. Honestly, I can't. Feedback was, and still sometimes is, quite a brutal place but I think posters often only have themselves to blame. When people are polite in their posts they are usually responded to in kind.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I agree but I can't think of the last time I saw a good, genuinely thought out idea derided in Feedback. Honestly, I can't. Feedback was, and still sometimes is, quite a brutal place but I think posters often only have themselves to blame. When people are polite in their posts they are usually responded to in kind.

Translation: "Links/examples please?" :D:D

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who is not a paid employee of boards.ie is a regular joe soap user. To trot out the old mantra, "mods are only mods in the forums they moderate". Its true that the longer people have been here, the wiser and more helpful they tend to get, but experience alone does not qualify users/mods to speak on behalf of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Translation: "Links/examples please?" :D:D

Ha, ha. I was going to post that but I didn't want to make cornbb mad. It's called diplomacy!
    Its true that the longer people have been here, the wiser and more helpful they tend to get, but experience alone does not qualify users/mods to speak on behalf of the site.

They speak on behalf of the community which is the most valuable part of the site.

I think that this sort of feedback rarely has a positive outcome, unfortunately. I think even the very phrase "thrown to the wolves" represents a lot of what is wrong with this forum.
    In my experience, these types of threads rarely have a positive outcome because of what Earthhorse describes here:
    The vast majority of threads which get derided in feedback tend to be just steam-letting. If you ask the poster to put their thoughts into the form of a suggestion or constructive feedback, they're largely unwilling or sometimes incapable of doing this.

Which is why I suggest that the person who is privately dealing with the feedback can talk to the person directly and tease out exactly what it is that the person is trying to achieve and help them put it into a format which doesn't just sound like a 1500-word rant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I imagine this will improve once they have hired the Community Manager.
    This culture of hostility to feedback from users has also resulted in those tiresome "Have you PMed the mods?" and "Links/examples please?"

Feedback is supposed to be for all things to do with this site.
    The Help Desk is where you should be going to complain about moderating.
    Smods will move the threads there when we see them.
    Open the Help Desk so everyone can reply. If someone has a query as to how the place is run, they can turn to the Help Desk where many members will probably be happy to help them out.

The Help Desk already does that.
    It is also there for complaints regarding Mods and bans.

Feedback is here to discuss all things site related.

A lot of users don't read the stickys at the top of both forums and sometimes post in the wrong place.

Ha, ha. I was going to post that but I didn't want to make cornbb mad. It's called diplomacy!

I expected "Links??" to be the first reply to the thread tbh :D

They speak on behalf of the community which is the most valuable part of the site.

It is true that the opinions of very experienced users tend to carry more weight, and its true that its important to take into account the wishes of the community, but I think sometimes its more appropriate for the admins to make "executive decisions". I don't think this happens enough, or at least its not visible enough.
    In my experience, these types of threads rarely have a positive outcome because of what Earthhorse describes here:

The vast majority of threads which get derided in feedback tend to be just steam-letting. If you ask the poster to put their thoughts into the form of a suggestion or constructive feedback, they're largely unwilling or sometimes incapable of doing this.

Which is why I suggest that the person who is privately dealing with the feedback can talk to the person directly and tease out exactly what it is that the person is trying to achieve and help them put it into a format which doesn't just sound like a 1500-word rant.

This is a good point. Even if one assigned person is privately dealing with feedback it can still be ignored and laughed at if it is deemed to be unconstructive. I don't think "the mob" has the ability to separate the good stuff from the bad stuff a lot of the time.

This is a good point. Even if one assigned person is privately dealing with feedback it can still be ignored and laughed at if it is deemed to be unconstructive. I don't think "the mob" has the ability to separate the good stuff from the bad stuff a lot of the time.
    Indeed, there have been a couple of cases where people with genuine feedback had to endure a good deal of lolcats and PFO's before an admin stepped in and said, "Actually, are you trying to say X..?", where "X" was actually valid feedback.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Feedback is supposed to be for all things to do with this site.
    The Help Desk is where you should be going to complain about moderating.
    Smods will move the threads there when we see them.

The sticky directing people with grievances to the Help Desk has been there for as long as I can remember but I still often see such threads in Feedback. It has become ingrained in boards.ie culture. I think people still like a public spectacle, which is why so many complaints are being posted in Feedback, and my whole point is that a public forum is not the place for these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

I think people still like a public spectacle, which is why so many complaints are being posted in Feedback, and my whole point is that a public forum is not the place for these.

A lot of people like a public spectacle. Me included. As well as that some of the people posting on feedback do it for that very reason, one could say they almost have an agenda rather than a complaint.

But not to worry, boards will become more sanitised as the revenue increases.

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It has become ingrained in boards.ie culture. I think people still like a public spectacle, which is why so many complaints are being posted in Feedback, and my whole point is that a public forum is not the place for these.

Though isn't it the public's choice to be able to post their complaints in feedback where they know they'll get some other public support rather than in Helpdesk where maybe the post *should* go.

Advertisement