Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead Expert Mode

• 09-01-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

So, I've been playing Left 4 Dead with mates since before Christmas and been having a great laugh playing it. Always been playing on normal and have for the most part been able to fly through it with relative ease.

So we sat down the other night and figured we'd give the 1st campaign a run through on Expert mode. I mean how hard could it be right? Wrong! It's insanely difficult. We managed to get through the first part with 2 of us making it to the safe room but only after we said "Screw this" and made a run for it when things were getting hairy.

Onto the second section and we got up to where you alert the horde and could not for the life of us get past it. Now we had great fun while trying but we were never really anywhere close to putting up a decent fight against the zombies. It's great to see such a learning curve in the difficulty and we never really got too frustrated cause it was always hilarious trying and dying so pathetically each time. It's a testament to the game that it didn't get frustrating and I don't think I'd had as much fun since my first run through of some of the levels.

So what do you guys think of expert mode? Any of you managing it with ease. Suffice to say I'd be interested in teaming up with anyone here and having another go at some stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

I was thinking of getting this. You'd recommend it then? What is the online play like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

djkeogh wrote: »
    So what do you guys think of expert mode?

One word: rape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, tried it there, got a smack from a regular zombie and it knocked 10 health off me. Don't even ask about getting pounced on by a hunter.

If you play on expert, make sure you have some decent buddies, teamplay is even more vital. Also, don't even think about playing with the AIs.

If anyone is around for some advanced later on, gimme a shout (Gamertag: P1992).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    One word: rape

nah its not that forgiving... id go along the lines of anal rape no lube. :pac:

We have tried it and got to maybe the 3 chapter on most levels.. its just really difficult you would need a good solid 5 hours to do it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

djkeogh wrote: »
    So what do you guys think of expert mode? Any of you managing it with ease. Suffice to say I'd be interested in teaming up with anyone here and having another go at some stage.

I'm on a PC so maybe it is easier, but the first time we beat No Mercy on expert it took 5 hours. Second time it took 1.5 hours. It's all about where you make your stand. During the finale, have everyone switch to shotguns when the tank comes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing on PC myself and for a campaign the only difficulty I'll touch is Expert. Still haven't finished a campaign on expert yet but I find advanced just too easy. Still as you say it's amazing how the game never gets boring replaying parts despite how frustrating it really should get. It's like the downfall of the team is part of the experience itself and you all laugh about just how unfair it was and get on with trying to do better (or worse as the case maybe). It's definitely possible to beat the campaigns on expert it's just it can take some practice and a good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

dazftw wrote: »
    nah its not that forgiving... id go along the lines of anal rape no lube. :pac:

Oh really, our very on Mr. Moon from boards is in the game as a zombie, is he? (On running joke from one of the fifa threads!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Expert is all I really play these days, campaign wise, unless someone new is playing then we'll go for Advanced. Advanced feels easy in comparison, you can stand there for a good while taking a beating from a standard horde, on Expert you have to be on your toes, a few hits from a Hunter and your health is gone. I haven't done Expert with a pick up group, can't say I want to try, a good team is key and communication makes it so much easier, you can call out when there's a Hunter on you instantly, discuss tactics.

I think my record was Dead Air on Expert (360 that time, no AI, 4 people), about an hour and a half, first time we played it on Expert, I'm sure that with the same team we can improve on that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

Haven't really had a decent go of Expert online yet, just can't get the staff.

Left 4 Dead is my first game on my own name (used to use a housemate's 360), and unfortunately it really demands a decent team. There's only so many times I can see people run back to the safe room for more ammo without crying. And I don't understand the mentality of people exploiting safe spots where you can't be hit to get through some tough bits. Don't they like fighting with zombies?

Also, when other Infected block the lift in No Mercy on Vs mode, I tend to be the hunter who's hitting the generator away from the lift so the game can start being fun again. I've had some really great games where everyone played right, but they're unfortunately rare.

If anybody would like to shoot lots of zombies with me, add Father Trendy to your friends (preferably with a reference to this site in the message so I know what's going on). will add people from here next time I'm on, too, if that's cool.

Mgoraf:
    It's a great game, if you like co-op shooters, and you like Valve, you should love it.
    Online play, with a decent team, is a ball, and very rewarding. With a not-so-good team, you can still have plenty of fun. And there's two-player off-line split-screen, which is a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Had a go of it on expert with dazftw and a couple other lads and its just insane, but unlike most other games that would frustrate you, its just loads of fun :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement