Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez not happy with Fergie

• 09-01-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has launched an astonishing attack on Sir Alex Ferguson and has accused the Manchester United manager of attempting to start 'early' mind games in the Premier League title race.

Benitez takes his table-topping side to Stoke on Saturday looking to reinforce their position at the summit, but he has been angered by comments from Ferguson.

The Reds could move 10 points clear of third-placed United, who would enjoy the luxury of three games in hand, with victory at the Britannia Stadium but Ferguson has suggested that the Liverpool could choke under the pressure.

Ferguson's observation has caused an outburst from Benitez and the Spaniard has launched criticism of the Old Trafford boss, claiming he is the only manager to avoid punishment in the current Respect campaign.

Benitez said: "We had a meeting in Manchester with managers and the Football Association about the respect campaign.

"And I was very clear, forget the campaign because Mr Ferguson was killing the referees, killing Mr (Martin) Atkinson, killing Mr (Keith) Hackett.

Ban
    "But I have seen some facts. On 1st November, they played Hull and Mr Ferguson had a two-match touchline ban and a £10,000 fine after confronting Mike Dean, the referee, for improper conduct.

"We started the Respect campaign, and that was when (Javier) Mascherano was sent off (last season) at Old Trafford.

"The referee (Steve Bennett) was the referee when they played against Wigan - he could not see the handball against Wigan by Rio Ferdinand, he did not give a penalty. They won the game and they won the title in this game.

"I think it will be the same referee who will be in charge of their game in hand this season (against Wigan).

"During the Respect campaign - and this is a fact - Mr Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett.

"He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things."

Tricks
    Benitez also feels that Ferguson's suggestion that Liverpool cannot handle the pressure at the top of the table is only an example of the Scot's infamous psychological tricks.

"I was surprised but I have to talk about facts," added Benitez. "I think that is important. I think they (United) are nervous because we are at the top of the table.

"I want to be clear. I don't want to play mind games too early and I think that they want to start."

And Benitez has also been angered by Ferguson's complaints about the English fixture list.

"Then he was talking about the fixtures," continued the former Valencia chief. "Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kick-offs away on Saturdays when United were playing on Sundays. And we didn't say anything.

Complain
    "Now he is complaining about everything, that everybody is against United. But the second half of the season will see them playing at home against all the teams at the top of the table, it is a fantastic advantage.

"But at Christmas, United played on the 29th and the rest of the teams played on the 28th. We were away against Newcastle two days after playing Bolton. They were playing about 40 hours later, they were not complaining then.

"If he wants to talk about fixtures, and have a level playing field as you say in England. There are two options if we don't want more problems with fixtures.

"One is the same as in Spain, the draw for the first part of the league is known, everyone knows which weekend. In the second half everyone plays the opposite, so you all know.

"Sky have the right to choose their games and it will be the same for everyone. So Mr Ferguson will not be complaining about fixtures and a campaign against United.

"Or there is another option. That Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple."

Not like Benitez to say something like this, but to me it shows he is feeling the pressure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

*Sigh* Liverpool thread is that way
    >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Discussed in both the United and Liverpool threads. No need for this. If you must just bump a Keegan thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Saw the press conference on skysports.com. He should just just leave the matter alone and concentrate on helping the pool stay on top. Fergie must be having a right old laugh right now, sipping red wine. Mind you he does complain and it is easy to see how Benitez has been wound up. I saw him take the piece of paper out. It was very funny, would have been better if it was folded up and then had to be taken apart.

Don't get drawn into it Rafa. You have a great opportunity to win the league, don't get distracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I guess a mod could do some thread merging (good luck with that guys!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Rafa Benitez has lost the plot:

So cringeworthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If thats loosing the plot I'd like to er see loosing the plot.

Everything he said was right, liked the bit about Chelsea staff using zonal marking against Utd staff. He's right about the bullying of refs and the 4th official.

THIS is loosing it.

mike65 wrote: »
    If thats loosing the plot I'd like to er see loosing the plot.

Everything he said was right, liked the bit about Chelsea staff using zonal marking against Utd staff. He's right about the bullying of refs and the 4th official.

THIS is loosing it.

Fergie says Pool may crack in second half of the season and Rafa comes out with a dossier on Fergie.

:rolleyes:

To come out like this is ridculous on Rafa's behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Benitez blasts Ferguson over referees

Friday, 9 January 2009 16:17

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has made an astonishing attack on his Manchester United counterpart Alex Ferguson.

The Spaniard claimed United boss Ferguson is the only manager 'who will not be punished' for outspoken attacks on referees.

Benitez claimed: 'We had a meeting in Manchester with managers and the Football Association about the respect campaign.

'And I was very clear, forget the campaign because Mr Ferguson was killing the referees, killing Mr (Martin) Atkinson, killing Mr (Keith) Hackett.'

He added: 'To hear someone talking when he has problems with referees every single week, and now complaining about the fixtures and complaining about everything, I think that is not fair.

'You can see every week how they put (referees) under pressure, we know this. We have seen it before.

'We have seen players sent off at Old Trafford and we do not see our opponents sent off.

'It is part of the game. But to complain and to always have an advantage is not fair.

'During the respect campaign, and this is a fact, Mr Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and (the FA's) Keith Hackett.

'He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things.'

'Then he was talking about the fixtures. Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kick-offs away on Saturdays when United were playing on Sundays - and we didn't say anything.

'Now he is complaining about everything, that everybody is against United. But the second half of the season will see them playing at home against all the teams at the top of the table, it is a fantastic advantage.

'But at Christmas, United played on 29 December and the rest of the teams played on the 28.

We were away against Newcastle two days after playing Bolton. They were playing about 40 hours later, they were not complaining then.

'If he wants to talk about fixtures, and have a level playing field as you say in England. There are two options if we don't want more problems.

'One is (to have the same system) as in Spain, the draw for the first part of the league is known, everyone knows which weekend. In the second half everyone plays the opposite, so you all know.

'Sky and Setanta have the rights to choose their games and it will be the same for everyone. So Mr Ferguson will not be complaining about fixtures and a campaign against United.

'There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Benitez finished off by criticising the conduct of United officials when Liverpool play matches at Old Trafford.

He added: 'We know what happens every time we go to Old Trafford and the United staff.

'They are always going man-to-man with the referees, especially at half-time when they walk close to the referees and they are talking and talking...'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0109/benitez_ferguson.html

• Advertisement

THIS is loosing it.

Losing it? I thought that was LOVING it? :D

Can you imagine the Press conference tomorrow at Old Trafford if the hacks decide to take thier cue from Rafa? Could get interesting. I hope SSN carry it (but hope they don't do it as PPV)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Jesus that was awful to watch! Poor rafa! Good homework though!

Anyone else find your mans voice very annoying on SSN, sounds like he has a cold!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

An astonishing attack? :rolleyes:

Mike, that's not losing it. Ron Atkinson's rant at Keys and Gray in the mid-90s is losing it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Probably a good idea for this thread, considering it is being discussed in the two super threads. Lets bring it all together and share the fun.

So anyway. I don't think Rafa lost it. He knew after Fergusons comments during the week that Liverpool will starting feeling the pressure of the title chase in the coming weeks and months that there he was going to be asked about them. So came prepared with a list of things Fergie has already complained as an attempt to rubbish his comments. He got asked the question, he gave his prepared answer.

Was it a well judged statement or timing?

Who knows, if Liverpool go on to win the league it will be remembered as Rafa brushing Fergie aside. If Man Utd go on to win the league it will be remembered as when Liverpool/Rafa lost it. If Chelsea went on to win the league is was the moment Man Utd and Liverpool took their eye of the ball However none of these statements would be true.

Should he have kept his mouth shut?

All a matter of opinion. Some will say Liverpool have nothing to gain from it so why bother, others will say its about time someone said it, others will say Rafa is losing it, some will say Rafa is taking the focus and pressure away from his team and putting even more on United before an already big game.

It was not a Kevin Keegan moment, and it will not decide to the league.

Rafa 0 - 0 Fergie (apart from the fact its actually Rafa 1 this season since they hold a victory of Man Utd)

dfx- wrote: »
    An astonishing attack? :rolleyes:

Mike, that's not losing it. Ron Atkinson's rant at Keys and Gray in the mid-90s is losing it:D
    This is more like cracking under pressure rather than losing it.

Can you imagine the Press conference tomorrow at Old Trafford if the hacks decide to take thier cue from Rafa? Could get interesting. I hope SSN carry it (but hope they don't do it as PPV)

What press conference tomorrow. Fergie does his press conference on a Friday regardless of when they play. I doubt he will be doing another one to respond to Rafa.

Fergie press conference was held before Rafas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Probably a good idea for this thread, considering it is being discussed in the two super threads. Lets bring it all together and share the fun.

So anyway. I don't think Rafa lost it. He knew after Fergusons comments during the week that Liverpool will starting feeling the pressure of the title chase in the coming weeks and months that there he was going to be asked about them. So came prepared with a list of things Fergie has already complained as an attempt to rubbish his comments. He got asked the question, he gave his prepared answer.

Who knows, if Liverpool go on to win the league it will be remembered as Rafa brushing Fergie aside. If Man Utd go on to win the league it will be remembered as when Liverpool/Rafa lost it. If Chelsea went on to win the league is was the moment Man Utd and Liverpool took their eye of the ball However none of these statements would be true.

All a matter of opinion. Some will say Liverpool have nothing to gain from it so why bother, others will say its about time someone said it, others will say Rafa is losing it, some will say Rafa is taking the focus and pressure away from his team and putting even more on United before an already big game.

It was not a Kevin Keegan moment, and it will not decided to the league.

Rafa 0 - 0 Fergie (apart from the fact its actually Rafa 1 this season since they hold a victory of Man Utd)

spot. ****ing. on.

(plus i love the fact Rafa-who i love, slated Ferguson-who i dont love)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

haha, rafa is pretty much spot on there with everything he says.

Utd fans want this to be a keegan style rant. I dunno, maybe they are deluded and think that fergie is a nice, fair person. he isnt. he has proven that time and time again. but sure, let bias enter your opinion. just cos he has won a ton of trophies for your club it doesnt make him this nice man who plays by the book. sure every manager is a hypocrite and they are pretty much all not nice men, but fergie (and probably arsene) are two of the nastiest.

deny that and either you have a massively coloured (and therefore wrong) opinion or you just dont know wat u are talking about. tis that simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Jazzy wrote: »
    haha, rafa is pretty much spot on there with everything he says.

Utd fans want this to be a keegan style rant. I dunno, maybe they are deluded and think that fergie is a nice, fair person. he isnt. he has proven that time and time again. but sure, let bias enter your opinion. just cos he has won a ton of trophies for your club it doesnt make him this nice man who plays by the book. sure every manager is a hypocrite and they are pretty much all not nice men, but fergie (and probably arsene) are two of the nastiest.

deny that and either you have a massively coloured (and therefore wrong) opinion or you just dont know wat u are talking about. tis that simple

Only it not just Utd fans its being widely reporting in the media as Rafa losing it and ranting. I think its actually Pool fans trying to put a positive spin on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ferguson has declined to comment.

Maybe he has nothing more to say than throwaway comments on choking.

Whatever you think about who has the upper hand in the mind games / media trash talk - it's added a bit of spice :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It was not a Kevin Keegan moment, and it will not decide to the league.

You couldn't sit on the fence more than if there was a comfy armchair on it.

What's your matter of opinion? Should he have said it?

It'll be interesting whether the media will use this as cover for going after Ferguson's nonsense or whether they'll sit back in the palm of his hand again, fearful as per usual of him banning them from talking to him or his players.

What press conference tomorrow. Fergie does his press conference on a Friday regardless of when they play. I doubt he will be doing another one to respond to Rafa.

Fergie press conference was held before Rafas.

Oh Crap :( Pity, still there's always the after game interview to look forwards to esp if they loose.

you mean football365? the website dedicated to having a laugh at everything football?

its a rant alright but its not 'losing it'. keegan lost it and the two pieces are completely different. whereas kev just went hell for leather and put his heart on his sleeve, rafa had a form in front of him with all the facts. he knew wat he was doing, and that was a mourinho. rafa can take the pressure, football players are notorious for crumbling under it. rafa is putting all the focus and attention on himself and is deflecting it away from his players (1 of whom was recently in a 'brawl', another who has a world of expectation on his shoulders and another who is trying to justify his price tag).
    bloody great move and very intellegent. look at the timing too, right before a chelski - utd game. the fact that all the Utd fans are constantly going to be thinking "rafa rafa rafa" and all the media are going to do the same is perfect.
    u can think it was someone losing it all u want, but everything in the media is a deception. the sooner ppl realise that then they can come back with their precious opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Benitez is developing a weird Scouse-Spaniard accent.

I don't think he's losing it. I think it's just mind games; having the craic, even. I'm curious to see how Fergie responds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

reckon rafa would have fergie any day:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

reckon rafa would have fergie any day:p

All I know is Rafa's Dad is bigger that Fergie's Dad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I thought he was going to cry at one point !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I thought he was going to cry at one point !
    no way rafas as hard as nails sucks tum tacs instead of tic tacs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's a smokescreen we're really signing David Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Three points:
    1. Rafa spoke very clearly and not in any way "animated"
    2. I would have preferred him not to say anything but he presented himself very well.
    3. The sky presenters are clearly having a torrid gay love affair and I wish them all the best

That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

"Then he was talking about the fixtures," continued the former Valencia chief. "Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kick-offs away on Saturdays when United were playing on Sundays. And we didn't say anything

Well thats not true Rafa is it ????

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/liverpool-boss-rafa-benitez-unhappy-over-554949.html

Liverpool Boss Rafa Benitez Unhappy Over Early Kick-off Timings On Saturday Following Internationals
    Submitted by Niraj Prabhu on Thu, 2007-09-13 10:35.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is not happy about the early kick-off fixture on Saturday that follows the internationals, as he feels “it is impossible to prepare the team properly.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jazzy wrote: »
    rafa is putting all the focus and attention on himself and is deflecting it away from his players (1 of whom was recently in a 'brawl', another who has a world of expectation on his shoulders and another who is trying to justify his price tag).
    bloody great move and very intellegent.

Or highlight them further as a reason Mad Rafa went into the rant, because no one today was talking about Torres, Keane, or Gerrard, they will be tommorow. :D

Pressure at the top can do strange things to people, United top by Saturday week, Rafa gone in the summer.

You heard it here first. ;)

benitezDM2510_468x384.jpg

It's quite clear what's happened here.....Benitez is studying sports psychology in the University of Liverpool, and that right there, was his thesis!

dfx- wrote: »
    You couldn't sit on the fence more than if there was a comfy armchair on it.

What's your matter of opinion? Should he have said it?

No, as I don't see what he or Liverpool gain from it.

Also as I said its all a matter of opinion. Nobody comes out of this as right or wrong until the league has been won and then the moment will be looked back on as something it wasn't.

• Advertisement

Sorry to do a Pighead on it but this is beautiful:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2319584/Rafael-Benitez-turns-on-the-Premier-League.html

"I would like to ask the Premier League why is it that Liverpool always play the most fixtures away from home in an early kick-off, following an international break?" he said. "We had more than the top clubs last season and we have four already to prepare for this season. It's going to be very difficult for us to win the Premier League because the other teams are so strong, but I want our supporters to know that despite the disadvantages we have, we will fight all the way.

"We will fight to cope with our more difficult kick-off times and all the other decisions which are going against us."

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No, as I don't see what he or Liverpool gain from it.

Also as I said its all a matter of opinion. Nobody comes out of this as right or wrong until the league has been won and then the moment will be looked back on as something it wasn't.

Sorry Alan, Rafa has came out and talked nonsense while "sticking to the facts".

Rafa is wrong, whatever about the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I love the excuse that he is taking the pressure off the players in January with a game with Stoke City

Any title challenging team worth their salt wouldn't need pressure off them for that game

Boggles wrote: »
    Sorry Alan, Rafa has came out and talked nonsense while "sticking to the facts".

Rafa is wrong, whatever about the end of the season.

I didn't mean right or wrong as in the facts that were said. I meant right or wrong in starting the exchange / responding to it.

Unearthly wrote: »
    I love the excuse that he is taking the pressure off the players in January with a game with Stoke City

Any title challenging team worth their salt wouldn't need pressure off them for that game

Really cause you United were under pressure for 80 minutes to beat them.

• Advertisement

Well one could argue that he's trying to influence the United games by talking about bennett reffing against Wigan. He knows that the "comfortable lead" (that Mr Alan talks about) won't be so comfortable if United win the games in hand and on Sunday so he's trying to be smart but instead he's made somewhat of a laughing stock of himself. The fact that he wrote it down and gave it some thought and that was his best effort says to me that the pressure is getting to him.

Really cause you United were under pressure for 80 minutes to beat them.

Still did it without Fergson writing a list of false facts before the game!

Boggles wrote: »
    Mad Rafa

now i know im right

Still did it without Fergson writing a list of false facts before the game!

correct we just needed an extra man than them

So? There's 38 games in a season, you don't win all of em 5-0 having been down to 8 men. We still got the result against a team who set up to get every man behind the ball and kick the sh1t out of any United player with the ball at his feet. And that tactic cost them one of their players....tough sh1t. Point is we won the game, and Fergie wasn't looking to deflect attention from his team prior to the game. I firmly believe Rafas comments are geared more towards trying to influence officials in the United games rather than take pressure off his own team.

I don't really know what you are trying to get at

Are you saying Man Utd struggled to beat Stoke because they felt pressure of the title race in December?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dunno whether I enjoy that more when it's done to Mr Alan or Mr Benitez :D

. I firmly believe Rafas comments are geared more towards trying to influence officials in the United games rather than take pressure off his own team.

I think you are right actually thinking about it

but he still made himself look silly in the way he went about it

Completely agree. I think he's made a fool of himself because of the way he did it. taking out notes had me laughin at him before he said anything!

I don't really know what you are trying to get at

Are you saying Man Utd struggled to beat Stoke because they felt pressure of the title race in December?

No, I am saying that United didn't just turn up and beat Stoke at a canter. Just like Liverpool might not tomorrow and there will be pressure on them to take advantage of the fact either United or Chelsea or both will be dropping points on Sunday.

Also I don't believe I ever said Rafa was trying to take pressure off him team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement