Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez not happy with Fergie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mr Alan wrote: »
    why? its just an article-a journalists opinion.

i agree some of the things Rafa says were a tad hypocritical, i have no issue with that.

I believe the whole reason for Rafas conference was to let Mr Ferguson know that Liverpool are not there to be bullied. Dalglish was the last manager we had who wasnt afraid of Ferguson.

Rafa was showing that he isnt either, that Ferguson should stfu, cause Rafa will bite back.

Hence the reason when Fergie came out and called him disturbed yesterday, Rafa came out and questioned Gills conflict of interest due to his dual roles with the PL & Utd.... its Rafa saying, **** you ferguson, you keep talking about me and my club & i'll talk about you-some of wat i say may be ****e, but i'll point fingers and have the world and its mother watching your club like a hawk.

I for one am delighted about that. We may not win the league this year, but we are fighting for it. Utd fans at the start of the season wouldnt have said we'd be top now, yet we are. We are improving all the time & Rafa is just drawing a line in the sane imo.

*all managers talk ****e Des, Ferguson is the ****ing King of it, so dont be pretending Rafa is letting himself down or any such thing. I firmly believe referees are afraid of SAF and so do a lot of people, Rafa saying that is not a big deal....and the RESPECT campaign is a farce when Rooney is allowed carry on the way he does week in week out. Rafa made a series of very valid points & a couple of ones that were less valid, but i'm ****ing delighted he made every single one of them
    But they don't all come to a press conference with "Fhacts" on a prepared piece of paper and keep stating they are facts when they obviously aren't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des wrote: »
    In fact, if you go to that match thread, it's as plain as day what was going on.

some quotes about said incident
    mayordenis wrote: »
    a for **** sake stupid ref ruining the game, nando booked for giving out about persistent fouling masch should shut up though.
    No suprise, i was gonna post a few minutes ago that he would get sent off by the end of the match
    ~Marky~ wrote: »
    What is Mascherano after doing?? :mad:
    deise59 wrote: »
    Absolute stupidity from Mash, he's probably just lost liverpool the match
    Can't blame the ref, Mascherano was a f*cking idiot there
    mike65 wrote: »
    Bennet started this chain of events to a degree with a stupid yellow for the first foul of the game. That does'nt excuse Masch though.

Mike.
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    100% agreement
    but you could see it coming , he was ranting and raving since the first yellow.
    No excuse for that but if it was Gerrard/Rooney/Terry/Lamps I doubt they would have been off. Ref is certainly doing his part for united today.
    Mascherano was at it everytime a decision went against Liverpool. He's the last referee you should be doing that against and wont be suprised if he sends off more today. Torres will have to calm down aswell.
    It was so needless though. It was a Liverpool free kick, what was Torres complaining about in the first place? Madness from Mascherano, you could see Alonso trying to restrain him.

Madness aside though, United have really grown into the game and imo deserve to be up going into half time. Reina is having a bit of a bad one.
    Roar wrote: »
    That was stupid from mascherano. but fair play to the referee. if more players were shown yellow cards for shouting and abusing referees, players would stop doing it. it's mascherano's own fault, he has no one to blame but himself
    Masch and Torres are the only two pool players at the races in the first half, add the fact that the ref was giving nothing to the two of them must have really been winding them up. Stupid from Macsh, couldn't expect anything else but as said the two were hardly shouting at the ref.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Reina is so dodgey! We need to work him more.

Mascherano might have crippled Liverpool, most refs wouldnt have sent him off but surley EVERYONE knows that Steve Bennett is just a dickhead, i knew after 11mins that Masch was getting sent off.

Aurelio has really impressed me today.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    big passion? Are you Andy gray?

The ref gave a free kick FOR the pool masch is moaning about something that has nothing to do with him at all.

use the passion to work your feet not your mouth
    Andy Gray is right, the ref is a joke. The yellow for Torres was a disgrace. Mash was silly for giving descent, but hardly worth sending him off for it.
    adox wrote: »
    I think the fact that Mascherano was in Bennets face after every decision led to the sending off.

He was stupid and deserved to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Villain wrote: »
    But they don't all come to a press conference with "Fhacts" on a prepared piece of paper and keep stating they are facts when they obviously aren't?

Mitchs article was working under the assumption Rafa was talking about this season, he was talking about every season since he's been here.
    some quotes about said incident

no one is arguing that mascherano shouldnt have been sent off.

just that Rooney constantly gets away with the same thing inexplicably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mitchs article was working under the assumption Rafa was talking about this season, he was talking about every season since he's been here.

no one is arguing that mascherano shouldnt have been sent off.

just that Rooney constantly gets away with the same thing inexplicably.

Not inexplicably.

He is an English international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Villain wrote: »

No, but they are in the school of online posting which after every statement people say FACT. And does anyone here respect those people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not inexplicably.

Exactly.

Not inexplicably.

Exactly.

so you can sign up for one conspiracy theory but not another?

why not say he is an England international who always plays under Alex Ferguson.....this imo, is wat makes him near untouchable to refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

We are improving all the time & Rafa is just drawing a line in the sane imo.

Rafa is just doing a what now :pac::pac: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so you can sign up for one conspiracy theory but not another?

why not say he is an England international who always plays under Alex Ferguson.....this imo, is wat makes him near untouchable to refs.

how many times did he get sent off for similar at Everton? Its the same way Gerrard has got away with lots in his career. The same way Terry gets away with being a second goalkeeper (did it again yesterday). Same way Shearer got away with kicking Lennon in the head. The english golden boys don't get the same treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You've got to wonder if Terry practices those star jumps on the training field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rooney's behaviour is on a different level to anyone else's though (bar cole in that incident last season when he turned his back on the ref). even terry doesn't dish out that level of abuse.

it's not excusable in any shape or form, even in moderation, but the slack given to rooney yesterday was mind-boggling.

lose ball to bosingwa, kick him violently for no reason other than he lost out, get blown up for it, reprimand the ref repeatedly, walk away, not come back when asked, still moan while again being reprimanded.

masch deserved to be sent off last season, but this was on another level. my feeling is (and this is only a feeling of course), is that the ref bottled it at old trafford in one of the biggest games of the season.

also, i get the feeling refs might take into account, wrongly, his naturally fiery demeanour. the fact his actions are in keeping with his general attitude to how he plays the game, refs i believe will be more lenient. as opposed to a giggs or fabregas doing it. With them it would be more out of character and maybe viewed as a more purely violent outburst

it's like the school messer getting away with lots more than the good boy who might step out of line once his whole life

SlickRic wrote: »
    rooney's behaviour is on a different level to anyone else's though (bar cole in that incident last season when he turned his back on the ref).

also worth noting the furore over Coles (England internationals) behaviour last year-one of the reasons the RESPECT campaign came about afaik as opposed to the wall of silence which meets Rooneys constant dissent and aggressive violent outbursts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

also worth noting the furore over Coles (England internationals) behaviour last year-one of the reasons the RESPECT campaign came about afaik as opposed to the wall of silence which meets Rooneys constant dissent and aggressive violent outbursts.

Bringing up the Masch argument again is pointless but the incident with Ashley Cole the week beforehand had a big part to play in Mascherano being sent off.

By the letter of the law, the ref was right to send him off but you can't help but wonder if it would have happened if Cole didn't get away with what he did the week before.

SlickRic wrote: »
    lose ball to bosingwa, kick him violently for no reason other than he lost out,

He felt Bosingwa elbowed/through an arm in his face, fouling him, to stop ronney getting past him. His behaviour is not excusable, but he would probably say he didn't kick out simply because he lost out - but because he was fouled.

Bringing up the Masch argument again is pointless but the incident with Ashley Cole the week beforehand had a big part to play in Mascherano being sent off.

By the letter of the law, the ref was right to send him off but you can't help but wonder if it would have happened if Cole didn't get away with what he did the week before.

true, and while its a good point it is a moot one in the grand scheme of things. the fact is it is in place, should always have been, and yet mr rooney still gets away with it.

nevermind kicking an opponent with no provocation

He felt Bosingwa elbowed/through an arm in his face, fouling him, to stop ronney getting past him. His behaviour is not excusable, but he would probably say he didn't kick out simply because he lost out - but because he was fouled.

its funny, cause the bit in italics above, you say his behavious is not excusable. then in the bits in bold, you make excuses for it :)

i see your point, but i don't buy it for a second. There's no way he thought bosingwa elbowed him. arms are used all the time and players know when they're actually being elbowed.

rooney always hits out when he loses the ball, always. it's not because he thinks he is fouled. Look at any number of games to see proof of this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

its funny, cause the bit in italics above, you say his behavious is not excusable. then in the bits in bold, you make excuses for it :)

Is excusing the same as explaining :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Giggs behaved impeccably with the linesman, he respectfully spoke to him. Giggs is a model pro.= and a great example of how players should behave.

Rooney ran at him like a gargoyle on acid and screamed at him for a minute before walking away throwing his arms about like the spoilt child he is.

Mr Alan.. cracking quote there!

As a United fan I would agree Rooney went f**king mental at the linesman at one stage I thought Giggs was going to have to pull him away from the linesman.

Ok it was a bad decision, I watched the replay and it took me a minute to see what had happened. Best way to deal with that situation is not to go nuts at the ref/linesman get the ball and stick it in the net (which is what happened) Rooney needs to calm down when approaching officials.

I really think the rugby way of just the captain being allowed speak is the way forward for all teams.

Thought your grasp of english was better than that.

I didn't say what i think are his justifications for his response were an acceptable excuse for that response. Did I?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think all are agreed such behaviour is inexcusable. It matters not what reason he might or might not give.

So why did the referee excuse it?

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I think all are agreed such behaviour is inexcusable. It matters not what reason he might or might not give.

So why did the referee excuse it?

that's what we're trying to work out!

rooney's hot headed rep means he gets leeway? is he an untouchable england goldenboy? alex ferguson's influence? big decision in a big game? old trafford intimidated him?

it must be one of the above because he saw it along with rooney reaction afterwards. if he saw it and came to the conclusion that it was within the rules of the game then...well...

Tauren:yes i think you were trying to make excuses for it. Why else would you make up reasons for him to snap?
    He felt Bosingwa elbowed/through an arm in his face, fouling him, to stop ronney getting past him.

how do you possibly know this unless he told you?
    His behaviour is not excusable, but he would probably say he didn't kick out simply because he lost out - but because he was fouled.

the very fact that you even say, "his behaviour is not excusable, but" further leads me to believe, that perhaps subconsciously, you were trying to make excuses for Rooneys unacceptable behaviour.

Tauren:yes i think you were trying to make excuses for it. Why else would you make up reasons for him to snap?

It's quite obvious really. He ran all the way back, won the ball well only to have Bosingwa illegally get his body between Rooney and the ball, which the ref didn't punish. i highly doubt there was any other reason for it unless Webb made a move on Colleen before the game, which I doubt, and Rooney was letting him have it. Let's not get too technical here. It was clear to see that was what was annoying him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can we stop arguing bull**** unless someone can bring new information into it.. I can tolerate the bull**** when someone is at least trying to use stats but this has become a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Dave! wrote: »
    Not an OFFICIAL request?! :eek:

haha. nice. i was clearly not seriously makin this request. if i was serious i would pm a mod. nice to know if i was askin that a mod is allowed just take the piss outa me...i was worried that i would never mod anything cos i would take the piss alot..assures me to know id be allowed

It's quite obvious really. He ran all the way back, won the ball well only to have Bosingwa illegally get his body between Rooney and the ball, which the ref didn't punish. i highly doubt there was any other reason for it unless Webb made a move on Colleen before the game, which I doubt, and Rooney was letting him have it. Let's not get too technical here. It was clear to see that was what was annoying him.

sorry, but how was it illegal?

and he's made these reactions before when he's lost the ball. so it's no excuse for it.

correction, there's no excuse anyway. even if it was illegal, bosingwa's attempts to get the ball didnt warrant a violent kick to the leg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »

As for this being a sign of Benetiz cracking. It was a weird comment. But I don't think its why United beat Chelsea, and I don't think its why Liverpool drew with stoke. It's just an easiest explanation than Liverpools attack lacks some potency and Chelsea's defending leaves much to be desired. Also, it's more fun. That said, his following comments about Gill are pretty weird, so maybe he is cracking. But I really can't see Rafa cracking under pressure personally, he seems too chillaxed for it. I think he's just distracting attention from his teams inadequcies, something that Fergie has been doing for years, something Mourinho loves to do.

PHB - Bag piping fact into news

pretty much spot on

PHB wrote:
    That said, his following comments about Gill are pretty weird, so maybe he is cracking. But I really can't see Rafa cracking under pressure personally, he seems too chillaxed for it.

you're right, Rafa wont crack, as much as Utd fans like to pretend he has.

the comments re:Gill today imo were because of Fergusons response yesterday when labelled him disturbed...the whole point of the press conference was for Rafa to show he is not afraid to engage Ferguson, Rafa speaking out again was Rafa saying-talk about me all ya want, i aint afraid of you & i'll give as good as i get.

• Advertisement

the very fact that you even say, "his behaviour is not excusable, but" further leads me to believe, that perhaps subconsciously, you were trying to make excuses for Rooneys unacceptable behaviour.

The elbowing gestures rooney made... it was a hint. Don't call me a liar Al.

i aint calling you a liar my good man x x x x x

PHB wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks United get favoritist treatment from the FA is joking themselves. Any sensible person can see this. In some areas, they get away with stuff, just like everyone else does in some areas. Fergie knows how to manipulate refs, as do the United players. At the same time, the amount of penalties we should get is nowhere close to the amount of penalties we deserve. Ronaldo was defo fouled in the box by Carvalho yesterday, no doubt about it, defo penalty, nothing done, except book Ronaldo and Carvalho. That said, I think that problem is of Ronaldo's doing to an extent. On other stuff, United are used to set examples, which is pretty ****ing annoying, see Evra this year.

Rooney is extremly aggressive to refs. No doubt about it. Refs need to book him. Then again, if they stopped ****ing up so much, maybe he wouldn't have so much to give out to them about. I don't want him to stop, because it works and he gets away with it. As for the Mascherano debate again, I don't really care anymore. Maybe refs should be more consistant, but ultimately, Mascherano was stupid to do what he did, and we would have won the game anyway, so :)

As for this being a sign of Benetiz cracking. It was a weird comment. But I don't think its why United beat Chelsea, and I don't think its why Liverpool drew with stoke. It's just an easiest explanation than Liverpools attack lacks some potency and Chelsea's defending leaves much to be desired. Also, it's more fun. That said, his following comments about Gill are pretty weird, so maybe he is cracking. But I really can't see Rafa cracking under pressure personally, he seems too chillaxed for it. I think he's just distracting attention from his teams inadequcies, something that Fergie has been doing for years, something Mourinho loves to do.

im sorry but your first sentence here is complete tripe..yes once or twice ye have been held up as examples, rio for example, but to say evra didnt deserve his ban is rubbish.

to say utd dont get the amount of penos they deserve is rubbish unless your saying that no teams get the amount of penoes they deserve but utd almost get the full amount they deserve whereas otherteams get nowhere near it..utd also dont give away as many penoes as they deserve..im sure of the exact stat but im pretty sure utd have given away one peno at old trafford in the 500 years or summit!!! you have more chance of winning the league than gettin a peno at old trafford..and dont waste ur time sayin its cos ye never committed a foul in the box cos that is simply wrong..

as for rooney, blatantly shouldve been sent off over the course of the game yesterday, who knows if he got the first yellow for the boswinga thing he couldve been sent off before the end of the game, boosting chelsea morale and endin up with a draw or chelsea victory..ha.

utd fans really annoy me with how they just dont see the favouritsm they get from refs..its almost like they think its normal. its not guys.

p.s. boggles if u are reading this plz dont respond, ur arguments are like that of a 12 yeaar old most of the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Still though, should he really get that annoyed? Stuff like that is always going to happen in a match. Under the respect thing, he should've been booked. You have to ask why he wasn't.

With that in mind, i think the respect inititive is a load of bollox anyway. We shouldn't complain when we see a ref realise that this is a big game, things are always going to get a bit heated and some players are going to go off one.It's agood thing when refs keep the game at 11v11 in tense games like that without it boiling over into violence. Some times players need a bit of slack, and to be allowed get their temper tantrum out of their system.
    It's a bit rich when one set of fans single out someone on another team when there are probably players that have a go at refs like rooney on every team in the premiership.

i aint calling you a liar my good man x x x x x

I say I am not trying to excuse his behavior, but explain what his own justification may have been (in response to the 'fact' he kicked out 'unprovoked') and you state that I am trying to excuse it.

mormank wrote: »
    p.s. boggles if u are reading this plz dont respond, ur arguments are like that of a 12 yeaar old most of the time...

-Boggles-
    img_0117.jpg

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »
    You need to watch that game again. Mascherano was yapping at the ref throughout the first half. He kept at it and I think the ref just had had enough of him.

correct me if im wrong but im assuming yapping is slang for talkin..so what ur sayin is that the ref didnt like masch talkin to him so he sent him off..hmm, didnt know u could be booked for talkin to a ref...i know u could be booked for cursin or for showin disrespect but talkin??? hmm

Article by Duncan White writing in the Sunday Telegraph

(who is by no means a Fergie man)

HAS Rafael Benitez cracked? Has he fallen for the oldest of Sir Alex Ferguson’s ruses? Or was this Benitez seizing the initiative, a calculated attack designed to undermine the Manchester United manager’s formidable, not to say intimidating, influence?

Benitez is an almost compulsive intriguer. He has spent the last year engaged in a loosely concealed attempt to undermine his own chief executive, Rick Parry, employing innuendo and double-speak rather than coming out and clearly defining his position. He tussles for every advantage behind the scenes at Liverpool. Yet this attack on Ferguson is not the Machiavellian scheme some might attribute to Benitez. Leaving aside, for a moment, the accusation that he has risen to Ferguson’s bait, it is worth examining the validity of Benitez’s various accusations. Disinformation and half-truth abound. Charge 1: “We have seen players sent off at Old Trafford and we do not see our opponents sent off.” There has only been one player sent off at Old Trafford this season. In September, Middlesbrough’s Emanuel Pogatetz was shown the red card after he went in twofooted on Rodrigo Possebon. The young Brazilian midfielder was lucky to avoid serious injury and both the Boro manager Gareth Southgate and Pogatetz apologised. There can be absolutely no dispute.

Two players have been sent off for the opposition at Anfield this season. Wigan’s Luis Antonio Valencia was sent off for two bookings in October in a game that Liverpool won 3-2. His first caution was for encroaching on a free-kick. At the time Wigan manager Steve Bruce said: “It’s difficult enough coming to Anfield, but you need some fairness. Two minutes after Valencia was dismissed, [Nabil] El Zhar tackled Mario Melchiot in the same way and... nothing. That’s what annoys us.”

The other player to be sent off at Anfield? Nemanja Vidic of Manchester United.

Hardly fits Benitez’s conspiracy does it? Charge 2: “During the Respect campaign, and this is a fact, Mr Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett. He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things.” Ferguson was charged for making some pathetic and disparaging remarks about Atkinson after the FA Cup quarter-final defeat to Portsmouth in March. Carlos Queiroz, his then assistant, was also charged. Both were cleared by an independent commission, not the FA.

In regards to Hackett, Ferguson accused him of being biased towards Chelsea after John Terry’s red card against Manchester City was rescinded. Ferguson looked paranoid – the decision to send off Terry had been considered pretty harsh – and not a little self-interested as Terry was freed up to play United. And perhaps the FA’s failure to punish Ferguson was a weakness. But to suggest other managers get punished misses the mark. Everton’s David Moyes has been fined £5,000, Phil Brown has been fined £1,000 and Roy Keane received no fine over charges of improper conduct. All were warned about their future conduct.
    While this might show that the Respect campaign is a sham, it does not suggest the FA are cracking down on anyone. Not a touchline ban to be seen. Oh, except for Ferguson, who was given a two-game ban for abusing Mike Dean after a the 4-3 win over Hull in November. He also got a £10,000 fine. So he is the one manager who has been substantially punished by the FA this season. Charge 3: “Then he was talking about the fixtures. Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kickoffs away on Saturdays when United were playing on Sundays – and we didn’t say anything.” Ferguson’s claims of an antiUnited bias in the fixture schedule are laughable. But so is Benitez’s countersuggestion that United were favoured in the past.

True, Liverpool did play five away fixtures in the early Saturday slot in the 2006-07 season, losing two, winning two and drawing one. But then United also played five away games for the Saturday matinee audience. Again, Benitez seems to have his facts wrong.

He is right that United played more Sunday games that season – nine to Liverpool’s five – but they are hardly advantageous if you are playing in the middle of the following week.

Jose Mourinho used to complain that the English league disadvantaged its Champions League competitors by failing to move games that undermined preparation for big ties. But then all teams have been disadvantaged equally.

Few managers take on Ferguson and come off unscathed. Benitez’s courage might be applauded if only his claims had more substance. Ferguson is petty and irrational, and he will wind you up until you crack.

Benitez might consider taking the higher ground in future.

Printed and distributed by NewpaperDirect | www.newspaperdirect.com, US/Can: 1.877.980.4040, Intern: 800.6364.6364 | Copyright and protected by applicable law.

Still though, should he really get that annoyed? Stuff like that is always going to happen in a match. Under the respect thing, he should've been booked. You have to ask why he wasn't.

With that in mind, i think the respect inititive is a load of bollox anyway. We shouldn't complain when we see a ref realise that this is a big game, things are always going to get a bit heated and some players are going to go off one.It's agood thing when refs keep the game at 11v11 in tense games like that without it boiling over into violence. Some times players need a bit of slack, and to be allowed get their temper tantrum out of their system.
    It's a bit rich when one set of fans single out someone on another team when there are probably players that have a go at refs like rooney on every team in the premiership.

sorry but no

players can go off on one in a big game, but materialising that into kicking an opponent and refusing to show respect to the ref when you're being reprimanded is another thing.

rooney is singled out, not necessarily because he's definitely the worst (though I struggle to think of anyone on a par, nevermind worse tbh), its because he is a high-profile player who always gets away with it. whether its because of favouritism, or people don't want to take the 'edge' off him, its excused because its him

nobody deserves slack for violence or petulance. They're not thugs or children. They're professionals who play to a set of rules which should be abided by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

correct me if im wrong but im assuming yapping is slang for talkin..so what ur sayin is that the ref didnt like masch talkin to him so he sent him off..hmm, didnt know u could be booked for talkin to a ref...i know u could be booked for cursin or for showin disrespect but talkin??? hmm

Yawn...

That was ages ago, get over it man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Article by Duncan White writing in the Sunday Telegraph

(who is by no means a Fergie man)

so he must be right then........

read that last paragraph of PHBs post. it makes more sense then any of the media atm. its all a deception, they just want ur $$$

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    so he must be right then........

read that last paragraph of PHBs post. it makes more sense then any of the media atm. its all a deception, they just want ur $$$

Did you even read it? He took Benitez's "facts" and analysed them thoroughly. He didn't express opinion on them, he analysed them to see if they were valid claims.

Please read before commenting next time, cheers.

Few managers take on Ferguson and come off unscathed. Benitez’s courage might be applauded if only his claims had more substance. Ferguson is petty and irrational, and he will wind you up until you crack.

Benitez might consider taking the higher ground in future.

This sums it all for me to be honest. It would have riled Ferguson far more if he just left it...and if we'd ('Pool) gone on to win the league, just stayed silent and basked in the fact that he won without resorting to the pettiness Ferguson thrives on.

Now he will just get painted with the same brush.

But then again, much like Ferguson, will he care how he's depicted if we do win it? Probably not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What's the text speak for irony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Could'nt be bothered reading through the last few pages but i get the general tone of it. It's pretty sad TBH. How anyone can suggest Utd don't get preferential treatment from referee's and the FA is laughable. You have to look no further than a view from the neutral fan and i have'nt talked to one yet who believes otherwise. That's not to say that from time to time Liverpool,Arsenal and Chelsea don't get things going there way but nothing to the extent of what Utd have enjoyed. Only realised there today when reading another forum that Utd went nine years woithout a penalty awarded againest them at OT. This is proof enough IMO.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

to say utd dont get the amount of penos they deserve is rubbish unless your saying that no teams get the amount of penoes they deserve but utd almost get the full amount they deserve whereas otherteams get nowhere near it..utd also dont give away as many penoes as they deserve..im sure of the exact stat but im pretty sure utd have given away one peno at old trafford in the 500 years or summit!!! you have more chance of winning the league than gettin a peno at old trafford..and dont waste ur time sayin its cos ye never committed a foul in the box cos that is simply wrong...

It's amazing to me how Liverpool fans can actually say stuff like this with a straight face. United get the majority of borderline decisions their way at home but so do Liverpool, so do most big clubs when they play at home.

To say its only united that benefit from generous refereeing at home is laughable

Yawn...

That was ages ago, get over it man!

i didnt bring it up dude. and i am over it, in fact i think that if we go on to win the league by a couple of points we can look back at masch gettin sent off in this fixture as a factor in it..we beat utd at anfield, masch wassuperb in this game, a performance which i believe had alot to do with his sending off, and if he didnt play so well we may not have won the game leading to a significant points swing in utds favour..

Highsider wrote: »
    Only realised there today when reading another forum that Utd went nine years woithout a penalty awarded againest them at OT. This is proof enough IMO.:mad:

It's hard to concede penalties when 90% of your opposition have 10 men in their own half for most of the game. Teams rarely attack United at Old Trafford so it's understandable why a record could go for that long. Much more likely theory than any pro utd bias from refs

Unearthly wrote: »
    What's the text speak for irony?

nice :D however i was referring to the content of his arguments and not to how he simply used short hand similar to what ALOT of ppl use in texts and not just 12 year olds...

It's hard to concede penalties when 90% of your opposition have 10 men in their own half for most of the game. Teams rarely attack United at Old Trafford so it's understandable why a record could go for that long. Much more likely theory than any pro utd bias from refs

I'm sure there were a few peno's that should have been given that weren't - it does add up to 171 games, at least, after all. However, there were probably as many penalties NOT given to United too.

Oh yeah definitely, I mean the penalty decision United didnt get at home to Portsmouth last year arguably cost them a shot at the treble again. I just meant that its not like United were having clear penalty shouts against them in all 171 matches

• Advertisement
Advertisement