Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez not happy with Fergie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

mormank wrote: »
    i didnt bring it up dude. and i am over it, in fact i think that if we go on to win the league by a couple of points we can look back at masch gettin sent off in this fixture as a factor in it..we beat utd at anfield, masch wassuperb in this game, a performance which i believe had alot to do with his sending off, and if he didnt play so well we may not have won the game leading to a significant points swing in utds favour..

United were really poor that day at Anfield anyway, even if Masch didn't play well, they still would have lost tbh. I see your point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

SlickRic wrote: »

rooney is singled out, not necessarily because he's definitely the worst (though I struggle to think of anyone on a par, nevermind worse tbh), its because he is a high-profile player who always gets away with it. whether its because of favouritism, or people don't want to take the 'edge' off him, its excused because its him
    Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand, Gallas, Ashley Cole, Drogba, Macherano, Beckham does it, Keane did it, Carragher's no saint, there's loads of high profile players that do it and sometimes get away with it.

I'm not saying they are as consistant as rooney, but refs are only going to make a decion in the the context of the game being played, not if he has been a regular offender in previos games. I think the referee should realise that players sometimes might have a right to feel slightly agreived by something that happens in a game, all he needs to do is wait till he calms down, then tell him to shut up and play the whistle.

Players are going to be at least twice as fired up as the fans, and given the amount of abuse directed at the ref from the fans when they disagree with a decision, the ref shouldn't be offended when the same happens from a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand, Gallas, Ashley Cole, Drogba, Macherano, Beckham does it, Keane did it, Carragher's no saint, there's loads of high profile players that do it and sometimes get away with it.

I'm not saying they are as consistant as rooney, but refs are only going to make a decion in the the context of the game being played, not if he has been a regular offender in previos games. I think the referee should realise that players sometimes might have a right to feel slightly agreived by something that happens in a game, all he needs to do is wait till he calms down, then tell him to shut up and play the whistle.

Players are going to be at least twice as fired up as the fans, and given the amount of abuse directed at the ref from the fans when they disagree with a decision, the ref shouldn't be offended when the same happens from a player.

fair point about taking it within the context of a game and reputations should mean nothing. Couldn't agree more.

I just think rooney does it THAT often that it's natural he'll be scrutinised more. plus the random acts of violence (stamping, kicking) compound the disrespect he can show. The players listed don't exhibit the violence to even a tenth of the degree he does.

It happens once every other game with him (probably a slight exaggeration but its certainly happened on at least 4 or 5 occasions in the last month). sooner or later one of these singular incidents should be punished, not because its accumulated over matches but because it simply needs to be punished as an act in itself

same as it should be punished if any player commits the same acts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

United were really poor that day at Anfield anyway, even if Masch didn't play well, they still would have lost tbh. I see your point though.

i dont think so. it was javiers tackle on giggs on the byline that directly led to our winner so i think itd wouldve been a draw without his superb performance..not tryin to be pedantic jus genuinely think this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mormank wrote: »
    p.s. boggles if u are reading this plz dont respond, ur arguments are like that of a 12 yeaar old most of the time...

Bit mean, I havn't been near a PC in hours. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Did you even read it? He took Benitez's "facts" and analysed them thoroughly. He didn't express opinion on them, he analysed them to see if they were valid claims.

Please read before commenting next time, cheers.

my point being that the facts are right, they are just hypocritical. the writer in question doesnt give the right reasons as to why rafa ranted... that is why its a poor piece and sensationalist. it tries to underly the depth of whats going on with simple black and white.

i can get smugger if u want, cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jazzy wrote: »
    my point being that the facts are right, they are just hypocritical. the writer in question doesnt give the right reasons as to why rafa ranted... that is why its a poor piece and sensationalist. it tries to underly the depth of whats going on with simple black and white.

i can get smugger if u want, cheers ;)

The piece in question has picked apart Rafa's Rant and exposed it for what it is.

A complete shambles consisting of unwarranted whinging and hot air.

It's not sensationalist in the slightest, in fact, Rafa was being more sensationalist with his amateur dramatics when he suddenly produced his "list" at the press conference and started going on about mind games and "facts".

Facts that have been disproved by the journalist.

Of course, if Liverpool fans are going to blindly take everything Rafa says as gospel, then nothing any journalist writes will convince them otherwise.

Well done for proving that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jeez, talk about your bitter immature rants :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Haven't read most of the thread, but what I take from the 'mind games' is this part in Tony Barrett's piece from the Liverpool Echo today;
    This is a massive season for Benitez but it is also huge for Ferguson because he knows that if he is to fulfil his ambition of knocking Liverpool off their "f***ing perch" this is the best chance he is ever likely to get.

Title success for Liverpool would leave the United boss needing three more of his own for his life's work to be complete and having reached pensionable age two years ago he knows the sands of time are against him.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

Facts that have been disproved by the journalist.

he just says they are hypocritical.

dunno... cant really take a Utd supporters view of this all too seriously. i mean look at this one -
    Boggles wrote:
    made to look like a fúckíng idiot

sorry lads, but just because u really really want rafa to have lost the plot and are willing to jump on board with any old journalists doesnt make u right. last season yeah, the egg did land on rafas face when drogba knocked us out... but he was right to have a go at unstable drogba, look wat happend when the pressure got to him in the final.

make it as black and white as u want lads, whatever suits. sure isnt that the way here anyway

edit-
    Des wrote:
    Of course, if Liverpool fans are going to blindly take everything Rafa says as gospel, then nothing any journalist writes will convince them otherwise.

im not taking rafa's word as gospel. i am however looking beyond wat is actually being said and deep reading wat could possibly be going on behind the scenes. but sure, put a full stop where it suits. it is all OPINIONS after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Haven't read most of the thread, but what I take from the 'mind games' is this part in Tony Barrett's piece from the Liverpool Echo today;

very poor piece of journalism imo. in the first paragraph it seems to claim that matchin the 18 titles this year would be enough to knock us off our perch and then in the second paragraph suggests that if we win the title matchin our 19 would no longer be enough but that thne fergie would need 20..

besides all that, fergies boys at utd well and truly have knocked the pool off their perch since he has been there. im sure he would like to match the 18 titles but make no mistake that when defgie first utter the immortal words he never in his wildest dreams was implying that he in his lifetime would manage utd to overtake liverpools haul of league titles...what he set out to do regarding the perch is accomplished and was accomplished years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm not trawling through god knows how many pages of tripe, but has this been posted yet?

fergierafa.gif

Charlie wrote: »
    I'm not trawling through god knows how many pages of tripe, but has this been posted yet?Y

Yes, yes it has.

Yes, yes it has.

:(

No thanks for me so.

No thanks for me so.

Just in case you were wondering, the Rafakeegan picture has also already been posted.

Which I suppose you wouldn't find as funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

No thanks for me so.

its still as funny the second time round, so thanks.

anyone else think rafa's english is better than fergie's

Just in case you were wondering, the Rafakeegan picture has also already been posted.

:mad:

Link???

I'm in no mood for Kev bashing this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

:mad:

Link???

I'm in no mood for Kev bashing this evening.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335091&page=361great pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Benitez back on the offensive

Monday, 12 January 2009 14:52

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has made a fresh attack on Manchester United with a swipe at the club's chief executive David Gill.

Benitez made headlines last week with a series of outspoken remarks about his Old Trafford counterpart Alex Ferguson.

He has followed that up with further comments about Gill, who also holds a senior position at the Football Association.

Benitez said: 'They were saying we are a threat. Now they know we are, they are playing mind games.

'But I don't think it's a mind game when you have control over everything; it's a mind game when you have the same level as the other people, then you can show you are cleverer than the others.

'But when you have control of everything and your chief executive is powerful in the FA and things like this, then that is not mind games.

'Is there a conflict of interest with David Gill at the FA?

'That is another fact. It is a fact that one person has a lot of power and control, and is on a lot of committees in the FA. To me that is very strange.'

Neither the Football Association nor United have commented.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0112/benitezr.html

My god, keep digging Rafa......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Excellent point from Rafa. Surely this has to be a conflict of interests here. Hopefully more managers will come out and expose this situation. Unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well Man U fans used to complain about it all of the time when that Arsenal lad was in a similar position, bet we won't hear similar complaints now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Well Man U fans used to complain about it all of the time when that Arsenal lad was in a similar position, bet we won't hear similar complaints now :rolleyes:

Eh, welcome to yesterday lads. I direct you to post 395 of this topic and the subsequent discussion. Not sure how to link directly to a post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,451 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Having checked too - Gill was VOTED on to the FA Board by the premier league, which i presume means that the premier league club chairmen voted for him to take that position. (Hint, Liverpool would have had a vote on this). He is also one of FOUR premier league reps; which include the Bolton chairman and a Blackburn director (or it did comprise this at the time he was voted on to the board)

I'm sure Rafa is equally angered by big liverpool supporting Barwick having held so much power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Having checked too - Gill was VOTED on to the FA Board by the premier league, which i presume means that the premier league club chairmen voted for him to take that position. (Hint, Liverpool would have had a vote on this). He is also one of FOUR premier league reps; which include the Bolton chairman and a Blackburn director (or it did comprise this at the time he was voted on to the board)

I'm sure Rafa is equally angered by big liverpool supporting Barwick having held so much power.
    Em big differnce between Barwick supporting Liverpool and Gil actually being involved at United.

Highsider wrote: »
    Em big differnce between Barwick supporting Liverpool and Gil actually being involved at United.

Yeah, there is, but is it any less contemptious to imply Gill is a murky figure using his power, power given to him by the premier league as one of their 4 representatives, to cheat other clubs to help a club he works for, than it is to say Barwick and the FA might be lenient on Liverpool cause he is a fan and obvioulsy wants them to do better than their rivals?

If you can cite any incidents in which Gill can be seen to have used undue influence to aid United I would love to see it.

Also, I would assume people don't want the premier league to have any representatives with the FA, or if they do, they want these premier league reps to have nothing to actually do with the premier league.

Never let it cross anyones mind that the premier league body, made up of each club, voted for Gill to be one of their four reps because they felt he could do a good job and is a person they trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how much do Utd pay Gill every year?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    how much do Utd pay Gill every year?
    Can't find any info on it - i know he is well paid though. What has that got to do with it though? The premier league chairmen voted him into the position - they obviously did so for a good reason. I also don't remember reading that he was head of any disciplinary panels and I have seen no evidence or hints at corruption on his part.

Again, I presume you either want the PL to have no representation, or that any representation they do have has nothing to do with the PL.

i was just asking.

i aint claiming that there is a conspiracy, but it undoubtadly is a conflict of interests and is in no way comparable to Brian Barwick being fond of Liverpool.

i was just asking.

i aint claiming that there is a conspiracy, but it undoubtadly is a conflict of interests and is in no way comparable to Brian Barwick being fond of Liverpool.
    I honestly don't know. I don't know enough about his role with the FA; as 1 of 4 representatives of the PL, on the FA board, i don't know what undue power he could weild in favour of man united.

As regards Dein, for the majority of his time he held a role different to Gill. For a time, Dein was VICE-PRESIDENT of the FA. A role he lost in 2004 after a restructuring, and was then voted on to the FA board.

I would imagine having a minority vote, as Gill would have, and being a representative on the board among others, reduces your power to do pretty much anything that would be unfair.

Wonder why people don't piss and moan about Gartside having the same role as Gill.

• Advertisement

Wonder why people don't piss and moan about Gartside having the same role as Gill.

that wouldn't suit anyones agendas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

why is everyone getting so worked up about this.Rafa is just doing what fergie always do and attempting to divert media attention and pressure to rivals.
    Cool your jets,its just a bit of craic that fills the tabs till a big signing happens.

that wouldn't suit anyones agendas

now ur getting it

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I love how Benitez goes from saying that Ferguson served a two match suspension for having a go at a referee, to saying that he is the only manager that can say anything to referees and not get suspended.

Facts indeed FSW...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm beginning to think Benitez was just bored out of his tree and feeling a bit mischievous. Look at all the reaction he got from a 4 minute spiel.. he must be p*ssing himself laughing.

spockety wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think Benitez was just bored out of his tree and feeling a bit mischievous. Look at all the reaction he got from a 4 minute spiel.. he must be p*ssing himself laughing.
    Thats interesting, he didn't really look like he was too amused in that press conference. FSW must be a good poker player...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

FSW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

mayordenis wrote: »
    FSW?

Best I could do was this

He must mean Female Sex Worker I guess......

edit; seriously though, using such a term as Fat Spanish Waiter to refer to him kinda undermines you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

spockety wrote: »

ye haha id say hes pissing himself laughing at the fact that united are breathing down his neck, in fact id say he's laughing so much its hurting.
    Bored out of his tree? might have been better off picking a better ****ing team to that farce that took the pitch against stoke, instead of clowning around and messing with the master of mindgames.
    Yep, hes most definitely pissing himself.

• Advertisement

Hey mayord, its just a bit of fun. No need to be so uptight just because your manager is feeling the pressure from United breathing down their necks on their way to a third consecutive title. You're doing ok, you haven't ****ed your entire season up before christmas this time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

abelard wrote: »
    Best I could do was this

He must mean Female Sex Worker I guess......

edit; seriously though, using such a term as Fat Spanish Waiter to refer to him kinda undermines you.

He undermined himself a long time ago... This just compounds things really...

Just shows you how worried some United supporters must have been when they can get worked up so easily.

this thread should really be locked, just attracting ****e talk now tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

only1stevo wrote: »
    ye haha id say hes pissing himself laughing at the fact that united are breathing down his neck, in fact id say he's laughing so much its hurting.
    Bored out of his tree? might have been better off picking a better ****ing team to that farce that took the pitch against stoke, instead of clowning around and messing with the master of mindgames.
    Yep, hes most definitely pissing himself.

Farce that is still top of the league and still ahead of "the master of mindgames" - that's a cool name, so cool you should tattoo it on your scrotum.

He undermined himself a long time ago... This just compounds things really...

Just shows you how worried some United supporters must have been when they can get worked up so easily.
    :)

Its actually a well known fact in football circles that FSW is his nickname. You're not a big fan?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I think its hilarious how FS... sorry Benitez is so wound up that he had to get personal with SAF. Surely a sign of a man feeling the heat of the mighty red devils. :cool:

this thread should really be locked, just attracting ****e talk now tbh.

Now?

• Advertisement

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    :)

Its actually a well known fact in football circles that FSW is his nickname. You're not a big fan?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I think its hilarious how FS... sorry Benitez is so wound up that he had to get personal with SAF. Surely a sign of a man feeling the heat of the mighty red devils. :cool:

My best mate, who I also have the misfortune of sharing a gaff with, actually calls him this so I am well aware of it. Twould expect it from him though, he is an Everton supporter.

I would also qualify it by saying that it isn't well known in "football circles" - more like well known among bitter, Liverpool obsessed Everton and United fans who seem to like giving their fellow fans a bad name.

My best mate, who I also have the misfortune of sharing a gaff with, actually calls him this so I am well aware of it. Twould expect it from him though, he is an Everton supporter.

I would also qualify it by saying that it isn't well known in "football circles" - more like well known among bitter, Liverpool obsessed Everton and United fans who seem to like giving their fellow fans a bad name.
    ... or I could have just been too lazy to type in his full name so I used the FSW acronym.

Don't worry, I'm not bitter, as I am a fan of the current World, European and English champions. I mean, how could I be?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

mayordenis wrote: »
    Farce that is still top of the league and still ahead of "the master of mindgames" - that's a cool name, so cool you should tattoo it on your scrotum.

Yes Farce, clearly not your best team, I mean who Yossi Benayoun, Lucas, Kuyt up front with two better strikers on the bench???? Absolute Farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

only1stevo wrote: »
    Yes Farce, clearly not your best team, I mean who Yossi Benayoun, Lucas, Kuyt up front with two better strikers on the bench???? Absolute Farce

you sound surprised, Benitez has been messing about with player selection for quite some time! :p

I'm not so sure if this has been posted yet but just to cheer things up a little around here I figured I might as well post it...

bfkfr.jpg

Should have a little less hair though! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement