Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez not happy with Fergie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Rafa you legend. It's great to see someone tell it like it is about ferguson. love the fact man u fans are getting wound up by this. Get in there rafa :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

When I heard about it on the radio, my initial thoughts were "ah jaysus, he didn't fall for it, did he?". Then I got thinking about how Rafa handled the owners this time last years when they were openly looking for a replacement for him. Then I actually watched the press conference and had to have a laugh.

The media will obvious spin this as being a victory for AF but the Liverpool squad will respond positively to it. Rafa is a shrewd operator and the fact that he was 100% in control of himself in that press conference is a clear indication that he hasn't "lost it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

rafa_benitez_394752a.jpg
    +
    pic_toys.jpg
    +
    silver-cross-sleepover-classic-pram.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

=win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

As a complete and utter neutral (I couldnt care less about either team)i honestly think Fergie will be sitting at home with a wry smile on his face right now.

He has been in this position before, and he has won, he has been in this position before and he has lost out.

But Rafa has never been in this position, much like Keegan all those years ago.

It may not have much effect just yet but it certainly is advantage Ferguson at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Boggles wrote: »
    Sorry Alan, Rafa has came out and talked nonsense while "sticking to the facts".

Rafa is wrong, whatever about the end of the season.
    Could'nt disagree more. It's fu<king brilliant. Calm,calculated and honest. I can understand why you and other man u fans are getting their knickers in a twist by it mind.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I only seen this thread now.I think we will leave this open as this story has legs and does not just concern Liverpool.

Here is an interesting piece I found on it,I would tend to agree the season starts here.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_fanzone/2009/01/arise-sir-rafae.html

Arise Sir Rafael Benitez

Was that the funniest press conference you're ever likely to see?

To all those media hacks trying to compare it with Keegan's rant at Ferguson and accusing Rafa of taking the bait; step back and think about it for a change. It is nothing like the rant of a broken man like Keegan, who had seen his side squander a healthy lead at the top of the table, reacting to the provocation and mind games from the purple nosed one. It is not taking any bait from Ferguson and signs of losing the plot, as Ferguson hasn't said anything for Rafa to react to. How can he take the bait if there isn't any there? He knew exactly what he was saying. A man losing the plot and reacting does not have a sheet full of notes to hand! He's casting the bait for Mr.Ferguson to bite on.

Rafael Benitez has spoken out this afternoon and said the things that everyone else has been too scared to say before. Everyone thinks it, but nobody has the balls to stand up and say it; until now. Well done Rafael Benitez. Alex Ferguson has been intimidating referees and the authorities for too long with nobody daring to stand up to him, and we now have a manager prepared to do just that. We've waited long enough!

It does hurt and scare them down the east lancs that we sit top of the table, and could be 10 points clear of them by Saturday night. It scares them to see a Liverpool side that sit clear at the top and can only become stronger with the return of Fernando Torres. It scares them that come May we could be sat back on the perch Ferguson always wanted to knock us off. They're scared, make no mistake about it.

And on that note, it's about time we stopped worrying about the fall from grace and being overtaken at the top. What about belief and desire, something Benitez has shown in abundance this afternoon. He's been very, very clever with his words today, putting pressure on the referee before the game with Chelsea on Sunday in a very astute manner. Something Ferguson and Mourinho have been masters at for the past few years. It's refreshing to see our manager ruffling a few feathers. The season starts here.

We're in there fighting and that press conference this afternoon is the music to my ears as we enter the ring. This is where it all begins.

He's timed it to perfect. A calculated swipe on the eve of what could be the defining weekend of the season. We've just got to go out an beat Stoke now to see whether today's press conference has any affect on the Sunday.

And the greatest thing about the interview? The simple slip of the tongue that highlights the humour and mindset of Rafael Benitez? Referring to him and Mr.Ferguson instead of Sir. The work of a genius. Simple yet blunt. Dismissing the stature of the man with the exchange of one word. Brilliant.

Our manager has started playing games this afternoon that may or may not have an affect on games, and ultimately the destination of the league title, but he's brought a smile to my face anway. Thank you Rafa.

Take the pressure off Gerrard. Take the pressure off Keane. Take the pressure off the side and putting it all upon himself and the referee before Sunday.

I doff my cap sir.

Paul Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dub13 wrote: »
    I would tend to agree the season starts here

and we have a 7 point head start! ;)

Reading around on various Liverpool forums, the scouse fans are ****ing loving this....
    A battle cry. A statement of intent. The Title race has offically started.

This man has given us the European Cup. He gave us back our Pride. He has Publically slated The Sun, The News of the World, The Yanks, He came for a bevvie with the lads, he invited the Union to his office and now he has done something that no Liverpool Manger since Kenny after holding up his baby saying "you'll get more sense out of this one than Ferguson" has done, given that arl twat a bloody nose. He is one of us, simple as, and I love the bones of the fella.

Anyone comparing this to Keegans rant is deluded, this was a measured, researched, intelligent statement of fact.

On sunday, them ***** wont be able to say a word to the ref, and neither will Fergie. He has taken the pressure off the lads and tomorrow, we will sing them home to victory.
    I've just read through this thread and listened to Rafa on the radio and I've never been so fired up!

This is it boys. This is the start of everything we've wanted for nearly 20 years. We're top of the league and looking like a proper team. We've got the best striker in the world ready to step back into the side and our manager is letting out a war cry. This is it!

From now on every game is massive. Rafa has drawn a line in the sand today and done so from a position of strength. We've now got to back up his words and fight with everything we've got to stay there.

Roll on Saturday afternoon as that game is now massive. I'm walking about here wanting to punch something I'm that fired up!

LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOOOOOL.....
    Ex-****ing-actly. 21 years since a Liverpool manager last took him on.
    Kenny holding his baby daughter at the post match press conference after the 3-3 on Easter Monday was genius but since then none of our managers have taken him on with the verbals.Rafa's outburst may go in our favour or maybe it won't but at least we've got a manager who's up for the battle and one who won't **** out because they're scared of the consequences.
    No-one from United, be they players or officials, will be able to so much look at the ref on Sunday.Also, the ref will want to look like he's not going to wilt under any United pressure.Should be fun to watch!**** them. If we're going to war lets do it properly, no pulling our punches or going in half hearted cos of what others might think.
    This is Liverpool on 18 titles against United on 17 titles and it's gonna get nasty. We either stick up for ourselves on and off the pitch or they will match our record.
    Time to show our balls.
    if yer didn't believe it before
    believe it now
    our manager is one of us
    and to paraphrase his "rant" today :-

COME ED YER WHISKEY NOSED MANC ****
    IF YER WANT IT, HERE WE ARE !!!

This is about the 5th time when i thought i couldnt possibly love Rafa anymore than i do, and then he goes and doubles my love for him.

well in Rafa. well ****ing in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That was released surprisingly quickly...

What's with all the double posting discuss it in one thread for the love of god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

So Rafa's lies have worked on the Liverpool fans.:P

hello mr bitter blue-how are you this evening? any fit strikers in your team yet?

little rich for an everton fan to give stick about fans swallowing managers ****e when david "the peoples club" moyes is currently managing your shower tbh.

re: Rafas rant, all he is doing is playing the game as Alex & Jose have done in the past-i'm delighted about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Nice of you to mention Everton in this thread !

But his rant today was lies ! Or do you believe it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Dont get too excited now.

• Advertisement

I was surprised at Rafa's comments.

He hasn't been the type to raise to the bait before and let's not forget Mourinho put Fergie in the ha'penny place trying to wind Rafa up during CL campaigns.
    He usually replied with just a wry smile and an obscure quote.

But ya know what, I love it! About time someone shut the whingebag up.

I am looking forward to "Mr Ferguson's" response.

ciaran76 wrote: »

do go on

ciaran76 wrote: »

do i believe what?

i believe it all except one line.

but the important thing is wat the statement means, it means he aint afraid of Mr Ferguson, and its great to see. it also means utd & chelsea players and staff are gonna be under a microscope for the game on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I see it as strange though in that he didnt really answer the original question, and that he chose to use the opportunity to bash Fergussen instead with a prepared attack. The big news this weekend is supposed to be the Man Utd-Chelsea game but now this will be all the headlines. If Liverpool don't beat Stoke then everyone will say "see what Rafa's done".

This has the potential to make or break Liverpool. Of course their fans will see this as a battle cry and haters will see it as a Keegan type melt down.

Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

That article would almost make sense apart from the fact the foundation it is built on is false.
    . It is not taking any bait from Ferguson and signs of losing the plot, as Ferguson hasn't said anything for Rafa to react to. How can he take the bait if there isn't any there?

Wasn't the "bait" Fergie questioning Liverpool ability to handle the pressure in the home stretch. Wasn't it a question directly relating to this "bait" that Rafa responded to.

Media hacks indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

is anyone starting to like benitez more and more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Eirebear wrote: »
    But Rafa has never been in this position, much like Keegan all those years ago.

Not in the PL but remember he's won La Liga twice so should know a thing or two about the pressure of challenging for titles. Different leagues/countries but the pressure would be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

zing wrote: »
    Not in the PL but remember he's won La Liga twice so should know a thing or two about the pressure of challenging for titles. Different leagues/countries but the pressure would be similar.

No way man, any shower of idiots could lead a Primera team to a Liga title, it's an inferior league with inferior opposition. It is nothing in comparison to NFL Europa : Soccer Edition with the impossibly skilled teams such as Blackburn and Bolton....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

zing wrote: »

What's that Alex?, 10 League Titles

fergie%20barrymore-thumb.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Absoulutely amazing stuff here. People on both sides are saying that a statement by a Manager in January is going to decide the League.

I didn't realise that the top professional footballers in the Premier League were so brittle that if it seems that someone got one up on their manager that it was the end of the League campagin.

Boggles wrote: »
    What's that Alex?, 10 League Titles

fergie%20barrymore-thumb.JPG

wat Mr Ferguson?

_42785697_fergie416.jpg

oh yea, thats a pic of the man who has won the last number of titles for you.

Yea, ya dont see him round much anymore do you?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Absoulutely amazing stuff here. People on both sides are saying that a statement by a Manager in January is going to decide the League.

I didn't realise that the top professional footballers in the Premier League were so brittle that if it seems that someone got one up on their manager that it was the end of the League campagin.

has any liverpool fan said we'll win it? I'm not really asking for proof just if and liverpool fan said that they'd be a little bit retarded.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    wat Mr Ferguson?

_42785697_fergie416.jpg

oh yea, thats a pic of the man who has won the last number of titles for you.

Yea, ya dont see him round much anymore do you?

ferguson9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That sig breaks all the rulz!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

It's tearing up the rule book one page at a time.

It is kinda funny though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Boggles is the only member on boards.ie who is allowed to get away with this

Villain wrote: »
    It is kinda funny though??

I only kept it for a few minutes, your right thou, it is funny! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mayordenis wrote: »
    has any liverpool fan said we'll win it? I'm not really asking for proof just if and liverpool fan said that they'd be a little bit retarded.
    And I never said who got one up on who.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Why is there a thread for this when there is a liverpool thread there to discuss about the latest liverpool news??? The only extra liverpool threads there should be are for matches surely. Sorry for the rant but it's annoying going on two threads disccussing the exact same topic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I am looking forward to "Mr Ferguson's" response.

Are you saying Alex Ferguson doesn't really exist? :confused:

tok9 wrote: »
    Why is there a thread for this when there is a liverpool thread there to discuss about the latest liverpool news??? The only extra liverpool threads there should be are for matches surely. Sorry for the rant but it's annoying going on two threads disccussing the exact same topic!

well then maybe discuss it in the one entitled "Benitez not happy with Fergie"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Unearthly wrote: »
    Boggles is the only member on boards.ie who is allowed to get away with this

dreamsyu1.gif

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well then maybe discuss it in the one entitled "Benitez not happy with Fergie"?

ah well the Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread was made for a reason and it wasnt because when there is big news from liverpool a another thread would be made

tok9 wrote: »
    ah well the Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread was made for a reason and it wasnt because when there is big news from liverpool a another thread would be made

em, thats exactly the way it works. big news, major signings etc get their own thread, smaller gossip and day to day stuff goes into the superthread.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Are you saying Alex Ferguson doesn't really exist? :confused:

I am saying I am looking forward to his response,I am not sure how you are confused.

ok here is my post from the other thread.

If every Liverpool fan isn't behind rafa at this stage then i don't think it will never happen!
    tbh i enjoyed every second of that press conference.

i don't understand where benitez contradicts himself like everyone seems to be saying.. if someone can find an example please tell me.

Also for the people who are saying that we have never been in this position before and there was no need for this extra pressure. As has been said he is deflecting the pressure from the players onto himself and i believe it shows the belief he has in his team that he is willing to put his reputation on the line.

So i say fair play to rafa. He's made my friday better!

btw i hope he doesn't get in trouble over these comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I am saying I am looking forward to his response,I am not sure how you are confused.

Well you put Alex Ferguson between inverted commas which tend to mean imaginary...Sorry for my confusion so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No-one should under-estimate the mental Powers of Rafa

Well you put Alex Ferguson between inverted commas which tend to mean imaginary...Sorry for my confusion so.

I think dub was talking about "Mr" as opposed to "sir" which alot of people are reading into today.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think dub was talking about "Mr" as opposed to "sir" which alot of people are reading into today.

;)

Its Rafa way of saying I am Spanish and don't have to call you Sir.

;)

Its Rafa way of saying I am Spanish and don't have to call you Sir.

/lick

TBH I think fair play to Rafa for having the balls to come out and say what he thinks BUT I think calling him Mr is disrespectful and makes him look a little silly

• Advertisement
Advertisement