Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez not happy with Fergie

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Villain wrote: »
    TBH I think fair play to Rafa for having the balls to come out and say what he thinks BUT I think calling him Mr is disrespectful and makes him look a little silly

This is all about the Respect campaign after all.
    Karma, Fergie shows no respect, he gets no respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

mayordenis wrote: »
    This is all about the Respect campaign after all.
    Karma, Fergie shows no respect, he gets no respect.

He's doing it intentionally. Just having a little poke, if you will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well Sir Alex imo as someone who doesn't like Utd has deserved the title of Sir and it doesn't do Rafa any favours to disrespect him by calling him Mr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well Sir Alex imo as someone who doesn't like Utd has deserved the title of Sir and it doesn't do Rafa any favours to disrespect him by calling him Mr

Rafa is from Spain.

What?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa is from Spain.

I'm from Ireland and I have no love for the queen or the titles she hands out but Sir Alex has earned a title and I would out of respect to him call him Sir if I was to meet or address him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Howard Webb is directing traffic on Sunday and when he's in the mood can be a bit of disciplinarian so I imagine Fergies Charges will be on thier best behaviour. As may the man himself.

What?

read imo as "in my opinion", although you have a point my use of the English language in that post was rather messy :D

I'm from Ireland and I have no love for the queen or the titles she hands out but Sir Alex has earned a title and I would out of respect to him call him Sir if I was to meet or address him.

So would Rafa, I'm sure!? Haven't you ever heard of "gamesmanship"? He's just winding it up a little...........no harm in it.

So would Rafa, I'm sure!? Haven't you ever heard of "gamesmanship"? He's just winding it up a little...........no harm in it.

Oh I agree and as I said fair play to Rafa but I think he let himself down by using Mr rather than Sir, just my opinion

• Advertisement

Oh I agree and as I said fair play to Rafa but I think he let himself down by using Mr rather than Sir, just my opinion

Nah. You know that he's not being serious when he "omits" the use of "Sir".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

wat Mr Ferguson?

_42785697_fergie416.jpg

oh yea, thats a pic of the man who has won the last number of titles for you.

Yea, ya dont see him round much anymore do you?

And here's the man who won all Liverpool's recent Premiership titles..

tumbleweed.jpg

Any minute now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

This is a brilliant thread IMO rafa trying to beat fergie at his own game can't wait for red noses response ( or is there anyone left he will give an interview to) should be good this is it now lads to the end of the season. Think there should be a sticky thread man utd - Liverpool bitchfest so we can go at each other without derailing other threads

As for calling fergie sir would you ever feck off because some royal ponse pot gives him a title

This is a brilliant thread IMO rafa trying to beat fergie at his own game can't wait for red noses response ( or is there anyone left he will give an interview to) should be good this is it now lads to the end of the season. Think there should be a sticky thread man utd - Liverpool bitchfest so we can go at each other without derailing other threads

As for calling fergie sir would you ever feck off because some royal ponse pot gives him a title

:D

You say the same about Sir Bob Geldof?

I would'nt call him "Sir" or "Bob". I'd call him "Scruffy F***er"!
    :D

Exactly

Ah they're just bitter it's not Sir Rafa. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Actually I think it would have been even better if he went one further and called him Mr. Sir Alex - implying that he thought the Sir was just a first name or something. Love Rafa for doing this all the same.

• Advertisement

walshki wrote: »
    Actually I think it would have been even better if he went one further and called him Mr. Sir Alex - implying that he thought the Sir was just a first name or something. Love Rafa for doing this all the same.

"Mr Sir Alex". LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Being listening to talksport there for a while today and besides Stan the dogger and woman beater Collymore coming down on Fergie's side most neutral fans seem to be saying about time someone put ferguson in his box. Let's be honest here Rafa has come out and said something most managers in the league would love to say but don't have the balls to.

Highsider wrote: »
    Being listening to talksport there for a while today and besides Stan the dogger and woman beater Collymore coming down on Fergie's side most neutral fans seem to be saying about time someone put ferguson in his box. Let's be honest here Rafa has come out and said something most managers in the league would love to say but don't have the balls to.

Too right.

wat Mr Ferguson?

_42785697_fergie416.jpg

oh yea, thats a pic of the man who has won the last number of titles for you.

Yea, ya dont see him round much anymore do you?

Ah yea without Carlos SAF is useless. That other CL, the 8 other titles etc....all pure fluke. What a spoofer SAF is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

He's not Sir Bob. He has an honourary knighthood so doesn't have the right to be called Sir Bob...so it's just plain Bob ;)

Ah yea without Carlos SAF is useless. That other CL, the 8 other titles etc....all pure fluk. What a spoofer SAF is.

What's a "fluk"? :D

• Advertisement

Collymore is a bafoon does nothing but criticize rafa and Liverpool week in week out . If he ever looks in my car window again...............

you're missing my point Neil, i amn't saying SAF wasnt an amazing manager. just that he had lost that in his old age. a lot of Utd fans were worried about CQ leaving the club this year as there was strong rumours he was running virtually ever facet of Utd, training,tactic,team selection,transfer targets.....Utds form this year would indicate this could well be true.

one more thing on rafas rant....this is a post from a very well connected fella on another site, sound fella:
    Just spoke with me mate at the club,1 or 2 interesting things did emerge.
    1.Anyone who thinks this was Keegan-like, is seriously deluded,this was a carefully premeditated attempt to let Ferguson know that Rafa and Liverpool will not be BULLIED by Ferguson any more,it was as though Vinny O'Connor had been VERSED what to ask.
    2.SENIOR players where mightily impressed by the Manager's views on Ferguson,and looked upon it as though Rafa was there BIG KID BROTHER who had just arrived as they where about to have a Scrap with the Local Bully.
    3 Call it over confidence but there seems a steely determination and belief that they could just win the league this year,the players have been given a huge boost in that, they've remained top of the League whilst being without Torres and now what to KICK ON WITH THE HEAVY ARTILLERY.
    So boys/girls don't worry about Rafa, he can sense the the belief/confidence coming from the players,believe me this statement was from a Confident not flustered Benitez.

Collymore is a bafoon does nothing but criticize rafa and Liverpool week in week out . If he ever looks in my car window again...............
    Lol. The fact that an idiot like that can get a gig in the media is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Jesus I just watched the Rafa rant and all I can say is the guy has lost the plot. He is obviously feeling the pressure. I have never seen a manager on tv go off like that for that amount of time and bring a bloody fact sheet to the interview. He went on for four minutes non-stop. He was obviously intending to do this otherwise he would not have gone and made a fact sheet. We are all entitled to a little moan but jesus christ.

As for fergie going on about the fixture list I feel nothing can be said against it. I read the other week (think the times) that the odds of playing last seasons top 10 away in the first half of the season in a supposed random list churned out by a computer would be in the millions. Then on top of that after each away champions league fixture United then had to play an away domestic fixture while I think Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool did not have to play all them games away. I think Chelsea had all three at home. As I said Rafa is entitled to his rant but the place to do it is not in front of a tv cameras. It would have been better suited to a newspaper interview or similar.

you're missing my point Neil, i amn't saying SAF wasnt an amazing manager. just that he had lost that in his old age. a lot of Utd fans were worried about CQ leaving the club this year as there was strong rumours he was running virtually ever facet of Utd, training,tactic,team selection,transfer targets.....Utds form this year would indicate this could well be true.

one more thing on rafas rant....this is a post from a very well connected fella on another site, sound fella:

We've had 4 assistants under Fergie and everyone has been successful. Any idea that Quieroz was that controlling is deluded. Just because you often see him in the after match conferences means very little. Quieroz was responsible for training - as is every other assistant, and the introduction to the 4-5-1 formation that was terrible at the start.

The fact is that he could have dealt with that question very simply, but chose to give people an insight into his thinking. This will not put any added pressure on Sir Alex or United. We are defending champions - what greater pressure could there be anyway? It sounded like one of the most nervous responses I've ever heard from a manager.

Is it just me or is it January? The pool think the title is over already the way they're talking as if we're buried!

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Jesus I just watched the Rafa rant and all I can say is the guy has lost the plot. He is obviously feeling the pressure. I have never seen a manager on tv go off like that for that amount of time and bring a bloody fact sheet to the interview. He went on for four minutes non-stop. He was obviously intending to do this otherwise he would not have gone and made a fact sheet. We are all entitled to a little moan but jesus christ.

I think he was reading from a prepared statement...?

its was HIS press conference, at HIS training ground.

it was the perfect place for it.

Like i said earlier when i first heard Rafa speak. He looked calm,confident and totally in control. Only an idiot would compare what Rafa Benitez has done today to what Keegan said all those years ago.

but the place to do it is not in front of a tv cameras. It would have been better suited to a newspaper interview or similar.

Based on what? I'm pretty sure he wanted as much coverage and impact as possible bar a tibetan monk style pouring of petrol on himself, he's done just that.

We've had 4 assistants under Fergie and everyone has been successful. Any idea that Quieroz was that controlling is deluded. Just because you often see him in the after match conferences means very little. Quieroz was responsible for training - as is every other assistant, and the introduction to the 4-5-1 formation that was terrible at the start.

The fact is that he could have dealt with that question very simply, but chose to give people an insight into his thinking. This will not put any added pressure on Sir Alex or United. We are defending champions - what greater pressure could there be anyway? It sounded like one of the most nervous responses I've ever heard from a manager.

Is it just me or is it January? The dippers think the title is over already the way they're talking as if we're buried!

lovely

Like i said earlier when i first heard Rafa speak. He looked calm,confident and totally in control. Only an idiot would compare what Rafa Benitez has done today to what Keegan said all those years ago.

It reminded me of Christian Grosse nervously pulling his train pass out of his pocket when he arrived at White Hart Lane.

"Look I have come by train" - "Look I have the facts"

Is it just me or is it January? The dippers think the title is over already the way they're talking as if we're buried!
    You are right it is January. TBH Benitez looked like he was as calm as i've ever seen him. Also who say's utd are out of the title race?

It reminded me of Christian Grosse nervously pulling his train pass out of his pocket when he arrived at White Hart Lane.

"Look I have come by train" - "Look I have the facts"
    Sorry you lost me

Sorry you lost me

The nervousness. Reminded me of that. He said the words but it was like a man doing a presentation for the first time repeating the word 'fahcts'.

The dippers

remove that and apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Based on what? I'm pretty sure he wanted as much coverage and impact as possible bar a tibetan monk style pouring of petrol on himself, he's done just that.

Based on the fact that he looks like he is certainly feeling pressure and everyone can see it. Percieving a manager to be under pressure from reading an article compared to watching it on tv are two totally different things. I dont think many would dispute that. Most people take what they read with a pinch of salt but actually seeing it makes it undisputable for all to see. I dont think he came across as he had hoped in the interview as regards public perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So now you mock his accent (are you well positioned to throw stones in that dept?)

Apologies. Editted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I actually think one of the main points of Rafa's rant was to put pressure on Steve Bennett for the Man U Wigan game which as one of their games in hand is more important than their game against Chelsea

Bennett is now under pressure to not be favorable to United and as he is card happy at the best of times if he is trying to show that he is not biased might actually dish out a few more than normal, Rooney might want to watch his mouth in that game

Rafa has just put pressure on the ref as Fergie has done on many many occasions and I think that was one of the main objectives

The nervousness. Reminded me of that. He said the words but it was like a man doing a presentation for the first time repeating the word 'fahcts'.

Another stupid comment mate - you're mocking him for his prounounciation of words in his non-native tongue.

If you are going to come here and debate don't sit around using play school insults - talk like an adult or take a hike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

agreed, sky sports news are now re running Fergies rants againts Hackett that he got away with and his rant about how the fixture list of the premier league isn't random but is fixed to go against utd. It's put the focus on his behaviour more than anything.

Based on the fact that he looks like he is certainly feeling pressure and everyone can see it. Percieving a manager to be under pressure from reading an article compared to watching it on tv are two totally different things. I dont think many would dispute that. Most people take what they read with a pinch of salt but actually seeing it makes it undisputable for all to see. I dont think he came across as he had hoped in the interview as regards public perception.

again The Pool side and the nuetrals seem to all think he was bang on, It's only really the United Fans who think otherwise.

Another stupid comment mate - you're mocking him for his prounounciation of words in his non-native tongue.

If you are going to come here and debate don't sit around using play school insults - talk like an adult or take a hike.

Hold on a second now, am I the first today to say it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think football in general will benefit from this, just like it did when Liverpool won the champions league for the fifth time in '05.

• Advertisement

Nah still don't get what your going on about. Looked in total control to me. "Fahcts" :confused: he is Spanish you do know this right?

Advertisement