Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benitez not happy with Fergie

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ntlbell wrote: »
    sham of a manager

as keane would say..

"raffa, show us your medals"

I presume you want to do like for like.. given Rafa is 48 I presume we are only going to compare medals up to that age..??

Fergie:

Scottish first division
    Scottish prem league x 3
    Scottish FA Cup x 4
    Scottish League Cup x 1
    UEFA Cup winners cup x 1
    UEFA Super Cup x 1

Rafa:

Spanish La Liga x 2
    UEFA Cup x 1
    FA Cup x 1
    UEFA Champions League x 1
    UEFA Super Cup x 1
    FA Community Shield x 1

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

spockety wrote: »
    I presume you want to do like for like.. given Rafa is 48 I presume we are only going to compare medals up to that age..??

Fergie:

Scottish first division
    Scottish prem league x 3
    Scottish FA Cup x 4
    Scottish League Cup x 1
    UEFA Cup winners cup x 1
    UEFA Super Cup x 1

Rafa:

Spanish La Liga x 2
    UEFA Cup x 1
    FA Cup x 1
    UEFA Super Cup x 1
    FA Community Shield x 1

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

yea that makes a lot of sense..

yea that makes a lot of sense..

Aye, I reckon it makes more sense than comparing someone with 20 years more experience alright....

;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

he should of watched a few mourinho tapes or arsne to see how to it with style and a touch of class.

Yes saying Ronaldo had a “difficult childhood” with “no education” is very classy.

Aye, I reckon it makes more sense than comparing someone with 20 years more experience alright....

;)

and calling a man that's won just about everything in the game a sham makes as much?

• Advertisement

and calling a man that's won just about everything in the game a sham makes as much?

Well you'll have to take that point up with the original poster.. however I don't think comparing Rafa's medal haul with Alex Ferguson's is a very constructive way to go about your rebuttal.

There is no doubt that Ferguson's medal haul makes him the most successful manager in the world right now. However, there are other aspects of his 'game' that probably need some sort of other analysis beyond a straight up medal count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

sur why don't we compare who's lad is bigger while we're at it? Its about as relevant to the thread..

Fergie:

Scottish first division
    Scottish prem league x 3
    Scottish FA Cup x 4
    Scottish League Cup x 1
    UEFA Cup winners cup x 1
    UEFA Super Cup x 1

Rafa:

Spanish La Liga x 2
    UEFA Cup x 1
    FA Cup x 1
    UEFA Super Cup x 1
    FA Community Shield x 1

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

I know you meant this to try and discredit Fergie....but I believe he's the last manager of a club that wasn't Celtic or Rangers to win an SPL. While he was manager Aberdeen were THE force in Scottish football.

Which is more difficult...winning La Liga with a highly established team in Valencia, or winning the Scottish League when you're up against BOTH Celtic and Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I know you meant this to try and discredit Fergie....but I believe he's the last manager of a club that wasn't Celtic or Rangers to win an SPL. While he was manager Aberdeen were THE force in Scottish football.

Which is more difficult...winning La Liga with a highly established team in Valencia, or winning the Scottish League when you're up against BOTH Celtic and Rangers.
    As opposed to breaking the Real/Barca domination?
    Celtic/Rangers vs Real/Barca which is the greater achievement?

micks wrote: »
    As opposed to breaking the Real/Barca domination?
    Celtic/Rangers vs Real/Barca which is the greater achievement?

Em Deportivo had done that for them in 2000.

Also Benitez took over from Hector Cuper who had established Valencia as one of the top teams in Europe by reachin 2 CL Finals. They were far from a small club. It doesn't diminish what he achieved at all but the post in question was trying to say that Fergies achievements at Aberdeen were nothin special, which is b0ll0x tbh. You cannot turn your nose up at winning a European trophy with a Scottish club side and breaking that dominance Celtic and Rangers had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So back to the original question that was asked of Rafa, are Liverpool feeling the pressure? After today, the answer would have to be Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not really, we put in ****e performances like today before Rafas conference yesterday-so its really just business as usual.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not really, we put in ****e performances like today before Rafas conference yesterday-so its really just business as usual.

Well Liverpool won't win the league playing shyte like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You'd have been going on about the masterstroke of a press conference if Liverpool had won 3-0 today though...

Whatever about it not having a negative influence, it clearly didn't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

no, he used facts... and made sure ppl knew he was using facts. if the facts are that fergie is a big hypocrite then there is little u can do.

missing u yesterday ntlbell. i was actually quite confused as to why u werent all over this like a 5 year old on sugar. but alas today is a new day and here u are, getting all giddy

keane2097 wrote: »
    You'd have been going on about the masterstroke of a press conference if Liverpool had won 3-0 today though...

Whatever about it not having a negative influence, it clearly didn't help.

Perhaps Rafa would have been better off coming up with better instructions for his players instead of compiling his dossier on Fergussen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

dgo5g7.jpg

....From Redcafe :D:D:D

FatherTed wrote: »

why not? every team that has won the PL has always had a number of ****e games every season have they not?
    keane2097 wrote: »
    You'd have been going on about the masterstroke of a press conference if Liverpool had won 3-0 today though..

em, no i wouldnt, as i said yesterday-whether rafas press conference had any effect or baring on anything wont be decided for quite some time yet.
    Perhaps Rafa would have been better off coming up with better instructions for his players instead of compiling his dossier on Fergussen.

it was not a dossier, it was a piece of paper with dates & fixtures on it :rolleyes:

dgo5g7.jpg

middle_finger.jpg

from google images :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

We just might, ya know.........? :D

The "Special One" did it.

• Advertisement

it was not a dossier, it was a piece of paper with dates & fixtures on it :rolleyes:

All I saw was SEVERAL pieces of paper. A dossier can be on one page. Did Rafa show you what was written on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Some posters lost the plot in here

calm down lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

All I saw was SEVERAL pieces of paper. A dossier can be on one page. Did Rafa show you what was written on it?

Funny that. I saw one piece of paper.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Unearthly wrote: »
    Some posters lost the plot in here

calm down lads

Agreed. I think everyone should watch this video before posting again:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

loved that tune

Jazzy wrote: »
    no, he used facts... and made sure ppl knew he was using facts. if the facts are that fergie is a big hypocrite then there is little u can do.

missing u yesterday ntlbell. i was actually quite confused as to why u werent all over this like a 5 year old on sugar. but alas today is a new day and here u are, getting all giddy

I was referring to mayordenis not raffa

nice one for keeping up with the flow of the thread tho...

dgo5g7.jpg

LMFAO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

lol

further proof of utd fans just wanting it to be a kev style rant. if u click your heels together 3 times u can wish for watever u want... to go home... dimitar berbatov... or if u are ronaldo - a penalty!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

. A dossier can be on one page.

So we are now changing the defintion of words to suit you also? what next?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

FA to review Benitez complaints

_45363863_rafafergie226gett.gif Ferguson is a past master at playing mind games with rival managers

The Football Association is to review Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez's verbal attack on Alex Ferguson before deciding whether to take any action against him.

Benitez claimed his Manchester United counterpart gets away with criticising referees and poured scorn on his complaints about the fixture list.

The FA said in a brief statement that the comments will be analysed "in their full context" in the coming week.
    Ferguson has yet to respond to the claims levelled against him by Benitez.

o.gif
    It will certainly have an impact on their relationship, but not on Ferguson

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

The Spaniard's outburst came after a journalist asked for his response to Ferguson's suggestion that Premier League leaders Liverpool might get nervous in the title run-in.

After claiming Manchester United might be nervous themselves, he produced a sheet of paper and read out a list of accusations about Ferguson's conduct regarding referees, the FA's Respect campaign and fixture lists.

Benitez claimed that Ferguson intimidates match officials and often escapes punishment for his criticism of referees.
    Former top-flight ref Graham Poll claimed in the Daily Mail that Benitez "has articulated what referees have been thinking for years - that Sir Alex can say what he wants about them and the FA allows him to get away with it."

However, Ferguson could point to several past run-ins with the FA during his time in charge at Old Trafford.

The most recent came in November when the Scot was given a two-game touchline ban and fined £10,000 for remonstrating with referee Mike Dean.

o.gif

Arsenal manager ArseneWenger said on Saturday thathe does not think Benitez's words will have any effect on the Premier League title race, but expressed his shock that the Liverpool boss had openly attacked Ferguson.

"It will certainly have an impact on their relationship, but not on Ferguson," he said.

"It came as a complete surprise because he [Benitez] is usually a quiet man and I would not like to comment further on that. "I do not know what it was really about. I do not know what he [Ferguson] is doing. You do not know. Nobody knows in the country."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7822101.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

See Rafa was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I thought the whole thing was laughable. They are all as bad as each other so Benitez was being a hypocrite.

Taking out his notes for his "facts" was bordering on embarrassing.

At the end of the day who gives a **** what they say really, it has little or no impact on the scheme of things imo.

The fact the Liverpool fans take this as an opportunity to air their conspiracy theories about Ferguson is also laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

who would have thunk it,a thread like this decends into a liverpool/united mickey size contest:D

Did he break down a la Keegan or was he the usual rafa with stats and a coldness he shows his players.I think it was the Latter.

He didnt say anything that was outrageous or a lie so whats the hassle?

dont think he will crack,probable just fed up with the lack of credit he has gotten in england,lucky to win the champions league and too defensive etc.

Good to see a bit of crack between the managers and it was funny to boot.
    Bring on the game in March i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Circus. Middle-aged/elderly men behaving like five-year-olds. What's any of it got to do with football?

They used to have this sort of thing when boxing started its decline. No one with any sense took any notice.

I think the timing of Rafa's rant was very strange

a day before a really big match

if he said it after winning that match fair enough but he really has made a fool of himself now

He has put more pressure on pool players

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Amazed by the whole thing. Rafa comes out and tells it like it is and people call that embarassing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

if he said it after winning that match fair enough but he really has made a fool of himself now

He has put more pressure on pool players

So what do we make of it if United go on to lose today?

Liverpool were always well capable of dropping points away at Stoke, I think people are reading way too much into it.

Sir Alex Ferguson has responded to Rafa Benitez's criticism by admitting he still considers Chelsea to be Manchester United's main title rivals

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez launched a calculated attack on Ferguson on Friday, claiming the United boss often receives preferential treatment from the Football Association.

Benitez's side currently top the Premier League table despite being held to a goalless draw by Stoke on Saturday.

Ferguson believes there is now more expectation on Liverpool to mount a strong challenge but he has hinted that he expects them to drop out of the title race before the end of the campaign.

Chelsea have dominated English football for the last few years alongside United and Ferguson feels their experience could stand them in better stead than Liverpool.

"I'm of the opinion that it normally goes down to two teams, in the last month anyway," Ferguson said in the Sunday Times.
    Expectation

"Liverpool have had a good start and it's given them more confidence and there's more expectation on them now.

"They're talking about winning the league, the supporters are talking about it and the players are talking about it so that makes a change.

"But they've not been able to talk about it for at least a good few years.

"Chelsea have experience and have been our main rivals for the last five years."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4779345,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Highsider wrote: »
    Amazed by the whole thing. Rafa comes out and tells it like it is and people call that embarassing?

Has been done to death. Might as well just leave it tbh. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

adox wrote: »
    The fact the Liverpool fans take this as an opportunity to air their conspiracy theories about Ferguson is also laughable.
    However, Ferguson showed his displeasure with Riley's leniency up to that point as he insisted: "I thought the referee waited far too long to act.
    "No matter whether it's a Charity Shield, it's still two top sides and you have to have control.
    "He never produced any yellow cards when he should have and then, when he did, it was a red card.
    "So the referee must question his wisdom in not giving any yellow cards sooner because I think both sides should have had them.
    But Ferguson felt the blame lay with referee Wiley again, saying: "The referee was to blame, and the crowd was egging him on and there was every chance he may have been sent off, and not for anything he did in the game.
    Speaking after Sulley Muntari's penalty gave Pompey a shock victory at Old Trafford, Ferguson felt his side had earlier had a blatant spot-kick denied when Cristiano Ronaldo was blocked by Sylvain Distin.

"It's absolutely ridiculous," Ferguson said. "I cannot explain it. Managers get sacked because of things like that and he's going to referee a game next week."

He added: "He (Hackett) is not doing his job properly and he needs to be assessed.
    Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson accused referees of refusing to give his side penalties after they were held 0-0 by Manchester City in Sunday's derby.
    Ferguson claimed officials were scared of giving spot kicks in the wake of a controversial penalty awarded to United in their 2-0 home victory over champions Arsenal two weeks ago when Wayne Rooney went down under Sol Campbell's challenge.
    He felt United should have been awarded two penalties in the opening 15 minutes of a game which ended with Alan Smith being sent off.
    "I have seen the penalties at halftime and they were clear penalties, there is no dispute about that," Ferguson told the post-match news conference.
    "But we are being penalised for getting the penalty against Arsenal. We are not allowed to get them now.
    "You will have to hit someone with an axe before we get a penalty.
    "I don't know what you do about that. I mean the laws of the game are there... They were pulled back, (Mikael) Silvestre was, (Louis) Saha was."
    Ferguson also criticised referee Graham Poll for sending Smith off for two bookable offences. It was the 10th red card of the England and former Leeds United striker's career.
    "I will have to see it again," Ferguson said. "He's only made two tackles in the whole game and when you see the number of fouls they gave away and there were only two yellow cards for them in the game it seems absolutely ridiculous."
    Ferguson accepted his side will have to improve their form if they are to mount a serious title challenge.
    He said: “We have a problem with Ronaldo. Every time he gets the ball, the crowd boo – and the referee has listened to the crowd. There is no question about that.

“Ronaldo was clearly brought down by Nicky Butt. I don’t know what you can do about things. But the booing is unfair to the boy because he is such a great player.

“It was frustrating. If the referee watches the game and does not listen to the crowd, then OK, but that is not the case.”
    "It is getting ridiculous now," he said. "I am not sure if they are instructed but it is looking sinister to me. That is the same referee who gave Portsmouth a penalty against us for the slightest tug by Rio Ferdinand and also denied us an absolute certainty when Louis Saha was fouled in the Carling Cup semi-final against Chelsea," Ferguson complained.
    "Since that penalty kick against Arsenal, it seems to me we are not going to get another no matter what the circumstances. One of our players will need to get shot for us to get one."
    "It is the same with any walk of life," Ferguson said. "It is why you have apprenticeships in engineering or courses in management. You need to hone skills, improve and develop them. Referees have to be the same.
    "Making decisions quickly and accurately is key. It is not about fitness. Referees are full-time. We expect them to be fit. It is their decision making we want to improve."
    An angry Ferguson said: "The penalty incident is a result of a perceived idea of the referee that Ronaldo dives, there is no question of that.
    "But in fairness to the referee in this case, the goalkeeper conned the referee. Without question, the goalkeeper got Ronaldo booked. His reaction immediately suggested that Ronaldo had dived, but it was the wrong decision.
    "Why would he dive? He is through, has gone round the goalkeeper and is on a hat-trick, so there is no reason to dive. It was unbelievable. He was one-on-one with the keeper and he was running at full pelt and he caught him with both hands. It was unfair that Ronaldo got booked for it.
    "Ronaldo is paying for his reputation, but he is nothing like that now. He is a mature and magnificent footballer and he has been unfairly treated."
    The Manchester United boss was fuming over various incidents in Saturday’s 4-0 win.
    He rapped: “There is one law for them and another for everyone else.” Wiley missed a kick by William Gallas at Nani and then refused to take retrospective action after seeing a video replay.
    Ferguson said: “From what I have heard, Keith Hackett has told the referee to rescind the red card, and he wouldn’t do it.
    “If it had been a Manchester United player, Keith Hackett wouldn’t have done this.
    “If the referee has made a mistake, this is going to happen all the time.”
    PENALTIES CONCEDED AT HOME BY PREMIERSHIP CLUBS
    Man Utd: 3 penalties conceded in 106 games
    Arsenal: 5 penalties conceded in 105 games
    Chelsea: 5 penalties conceded in 105 games
    Newcastle: 7 penalties conceded in 106 games
    Liverpool: 9 penalties conceded in 105 games
    Charlton: 13 penalties conceded in 86 games

quotes are mainly form this year but one or two are old enough, stats are about 3/4 years old but is all i can find! its not a conspiracy when its blatantly obvious....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well whatever the facts may be United players have been superb this weekend and the Pool players were poor whether that has anything to with how the players reacted to Rafa's press conference or not I don't know

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Rafa is spot on, everything he says is accurate.
    Its about time someone stood up to ferguson.
    All those saying it embarrassing, wake up ffs.

Dcully wrote: »
    Rafa is spot on, everything he says is accurate.
    Its about time someone stood up to ferguson.
    All those saying it embarrassing, wake up ffs.
    Of course he was right. Example: Rooney today kicks out from behind on Chelsea player in first half and then tells the ref to fu<k off. Red card right? Not at castle greyskull..not even a yellow. Pathetic TBH

Villain wrote: »
    Well whatever the facts may be United players have been superb this weekend and the Pool players were poor whether that has anything to with how the players reacted to Rafa's press conference or not I don't know

Nope Liverpool just are not the same with out Alonso on the team Lucas takes too much time on the ball.

Same thing happened last week when Alonso went off at half time V PNE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Highsider wrote: »
    Of course he was right. Example: Rooney today kicks out from behind on Chelsea player in first half and then tells the ref to fu<k off. Red card right? Not at castle greyskull..not even a yellow. Pathetic TBH

He should of been carded but id say it has more to with being an england player than a utd one.

He should of been carded but id say it has more to with being an england player than a utd one.
    Should have been a red. Makes a mockery of the so called "respect campaign"....Doubt the press will talk about it mind you,but if that had have been Ballack or Drogba making that challange and then giving the ref a earful do you think they would'nt have been off ?

Highsider dont you know the respect campain does not apply to English or United players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Agreed tbh. I thought Rooney was absolutely disgraceful on a number of occasions over the past few weeks, those sorts of outbursts should bring bans. But it's not to do with him being a Utd player. It's the fact that he is a key English player, Terry is another player who stretches the rules of the game beyond limit because of his status for England.

Lol at Alex calling Rafa a bitter man. Bit of a conflict of interest to have Carragher on the panel analysing Fergie's response to Benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

It was pretty shocking that Rooney wasnt booked there tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

heh heh, poor response from ferguson there, just a couple of digs at rafa. didn't really know what to say, you could see he was well put out by rafa but was scared to say anything in case he got accused of being taken in by mind games!

• Advertisement
Advertisement