Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now That's What I Call Music, Vol. 1!

Options
  • 09-01-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

Heard that Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 1 has been released on CD. The earliest copy I have and my first ever album was Now 7. Does anybody still have a copy of Now Vol. 1?! Or what is your earliest recollection of it?!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Yup you can buy it on Amazon!

Track Listing:

1. Together Again - Jackson, Janet
    2. As Long as You Love Me - Martin, Max
    3. The Way - Scalzo, Tony
    4. Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
    5. Say You'll Be There - Spice Girls
    6. All My Life - Hailey, Joel "Jo Jo
    7. Never Ever - Jazayeri, Robert
    8. If You Could Only See - Hart, Emerson
    9. MMMBop - Hanson, Isaac
    10. Zoot Suit Riot - Perry, Steve [2]
    11. Shorty (You Keep Playing With My Mind) - Lawrence, Ron [Bass
    12. Anytime - McKnight, Brian
    13. Barbie Girl - Rasted, Soren
    14. Karma Police - Greenwood, Colin
    15. I Will Buy You a New Life - Alexakis, Art
    16. Fly Away - Kravitz, Lenny
    17. Sex & Candy - Wozniak, John

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Surely that's not the first one? I have Now 27 and it's from 1992.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

I have 1 - 6 somewhere. I won them on the Hotline on 2FM for translating 'Hotline' into another language. I translated it into ASCII so id say that way probably around 1985-1986

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I am old enough to still have my original copies of vol's 1+2 on vinyl up in the loft :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I thought they stretched back to the 60's :confused: Maybe there is another similar compilation series that I'm getting confused with.

Actually, I'm just back from a bit of Googling and it looks like they split each release into two issues, which would account for the ridiculously high numbers they have reached. Apparently they are up to now Now 70 something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_That%27s_What_I_Call_Music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Yup you can buy it on Amazon!
    I think you mean this one, that's certainly the one the OP meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Horrifying stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I think the NOW series was started in America at some stage, and judging by some of the tracks, that was probably NOW America 1.

My first memory is of NOW7. I remember listening to it, on the Walkman of course, as my parents drove me to a hospital appointment. On the way, my Dad got pulled over for speeding. Quick as a flash, my Mum changed the time on the appointment card from 2 to 12, and told me to look poorly. Not only did the Garda let my Dad off, but he was offering advice on best route to the hospital as we were cutting it fine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Karma Police wasn't written by Colin :S Maybe he'd be the first name when the group is listed alphabetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

It's funny I was just talking about this the other day.
    This is apparently the original I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy its re-release!
    I was pretty sure my earliest recollection of them was one with Rick Astley on it:pac: but after having a look through the Discography I cant find him on any - so it must have been something else:P so I remember I definitely owned Now 20 and possibly 19 up to Now 29.

The last 'Now' album I can remember buying/receiving was this. It's says there it was released in November so I reckon I got it for Christmas.
    Anyhow I remember that because What's the Frequency Kenneth was on there which led me to buy Monster... and of course the classic 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

sceptre wrote: »

Ah I'm not really bothered anyway, I google'd it because I was bored, give me Clubland anyday!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

There was a bloke on Dave Fannings show last night on Radio one going on about it; he was one of the lads working in Virgin (or perhaps EMI) on the original project. I'm not sure if many people are aware, but up until then, there were two types of compilation. One, was where they tried to cram as much as they could onto a single disc, so songs were edited down to hell (i have a version of - i think - John I'm only Dancing by David Bowie and it's called the KTel edit, 2 and a bit minutes) and the listner was kinda left short changed.

The other kind was the (also KTel) Dollybird style compilations called Top of the Pops (no brand synergy in those days), where you'd have an attractive lady fronting an album made of soundalike cover versions. Lots of famous musicians worked on them as session men, among them Tom Jones, Elton John and (i think) Jimmy Page.

The NOWs were different; full length songs and by the original artists. The real kicker was that the songs were present. Sometimes you got a bands *last* hit, but sometimes you got the up and coming single that was yet to be released. My copy of Now 10 had Fairytale of New York on it, described as the Pogues new single, and stating that they last hit the charts with The Irish Rover. In other words, their record company (Stiff, i think) reckoned that Fairytale mightn't do the business chart-wise, but they'd make a few bob on shoving it on a compilation.

Now that i think of it, that Now 10 also had 'My Baby Just Cares for me' by Nina Simone which is the only song i can find that *also* appeared on the rival (and rather shortlived) 'Hits' compilations, done by CBS/Warners.

Barcelona, by Freddie Mercury and Monserrat Caballe, is one of the few songs to have appeared in identical format on two separate NOWs.

right - that's enough - i'll get me anorak!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

muso wrote: »
    Hi all, Does anybody still have a copy of Now Vol. 1?! Or what is your earliest recollection of it?![/B]:)
    I still have the vinyl copy that I got for xmas back in 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I got it on tape to go with me new red walkman. Think it had a pic of a chicken and a pig chatting on the back. :)

It must be up to something like #600 by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The Europe NOWS were released before the US NOWS I think so that must be why there are quite recent songs on that NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

stovelid wrote: »
    It must be up to something like #600 by now.
    They're not worth anything much as collectibles, a vinyl copy of the original can be got on ebay for a song, even one described as mint condition is going for 30 on amazon traders and that's optimistic.

Unless you meant number/volume 600, it's at 71:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

First one came out in 83, i got it on double cassette as a kid for a birthday. Could never find the tapes afterwards.

If I recall correctly, it did come out on two tapes and four vinyls, but was never released on CD before. After checking wikipedia to confirm the amount of vinyls it was on (and getting nothing confirmed), it's being released in January because it's the 25th anniversary (despite the fact that it didn't actually get released until December).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

+1, although I bought it in a second-hand shop at some stage. The first one I actually bought new was "Now 4".....and it bugged me that they had a "special dance mix" of "No More Lonely Nights"......LOVED the original but hated that version.

Actually, looking back, the percentage of decent vs rubbish / well-known vs obscure fillers on the earlier ones was a lot better than it is now.

Piggin' Great Music!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    and it bugged me that they had a "special dance mix" of "No More Lonely Nights"......LOVED the original but hated that version.

oh aye - that was a shocking thing to inflict on the ears of the listening public. Dave Gilmour playing guitar on the original, fact fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

man i think i came in at about Now 18 or 19. that would have been on casette tape, right ? 1992 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

First one I remember had Roll with it and Country House on it. A whole load of crap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're not worth anything much as collectibles, a vinyl copy of the original can be got on ebay for a song, even one described as mint condition is going for 30 on amazon traders and that's optimistic.

Unless you meant number/volume 600, it's at 71:)

Nah, I meant volumes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

I haven't checked recently, but a couple of years ago the first one released on CD, Now 4, was regularly selling for around 400 UKP because of its rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

SandStone wrote: »
    I haven't checked recently, but a couple of years ago the first one released on CD, Now 4, was regularly selling for around 400 UKP because of its rarity.

A very good reason as it's well out of print. 1 and 2 are due for release at the end of the month, and the rest will most likely follow suit.

The original CD version of 4 was only a 1 disc, with about half the songs the cassette and vinyl versions had. Now that a lot more can be stored on CD, the double version will be issued on CD in time, making the original even more of a collectors item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

... ...Heaven 17 - Temptation ... ...Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love... ...Culture Club - Karma Chameleon... ...WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR?!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

My girlfriend got a load of old 80's vinyl as a present last year so when cheesy party tracks are in order we break out Now Vol I - if you're pushing thirty there's a great nostalgia factor involved.

Ah the nostalgia.......the days before Basshunter-style rubbish, ringtones masquerading as songs, yo-yo pseudo rap and R&B, boybands, and the X-factor......

BRING BACK THE 80s!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes....there are so many songs out now that have no melody at all it's ridiculous.

I remember back in the 80s, I used to agonize over whether to get a Now tape or a Hits one. I could only afford to buy one. Then when double-decks came in, it was happy days. Talk nicely to your friend and they'd either loan or copy their copy. Home taping is killing music, folks.

Tuned in to i102-104 for a few mins around 9.30 and was full sure they'd connected their transmitter to their modem.......I'm NOT joking!!! Christ above! :P

The end result ? More nostaliga for the days when music was music..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

i remember buying it in golden discs in town for my birthday..god..i thought i was great cos i got these huge earphones that had an aerial on them that could play the radio..talk about technology !

Advertisement