Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car just broken into

Options
  • 09-01-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

A work colleague of mine has just had the driver side door window put in on his 07 BMW 318i M Sport. His sat nav was stolen as well. Normally he'd have it in the glove box, but occasionally forgot to put it away. Obviously paid the price for it this time. He's not going to bother ringing the guards I reckon, and looks as if he is just going to suffer the cost himself.

Where would the best place be in Limerick to get this issue sorted ASAP. He bought it through Keoghs, but would he be better off going elsewhere?

Also, do ye reckon he is better off paying this off, instead of going through his insurance. Take into account he paid about 300 euro for his SAT Nav a year ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's his NCB like?
    It is the sat nav and a side window? Anything else missing/broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

biko wrote: »
    What's his NCB like?
    It is the sat nav and a side window? Anything else missing/broken?

His NCB is 5+ years anyway. Nothing else of note has been taken anyway so its the Sat Nav and driver side window thats gone.

He just rang Keoghs there to get a quote. They said 200 for the window and installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

He can claim for glass without affecting his NCB in any case, details will be with his policy.

Anan1 wrote: »
    He can claim for glass without affecting his NCB in any case, details will be with his policy.

Well he is fully comp alright. He is giving the insurance a ring in a bit anyway.

The fact that the sat nav was stolen while it was in full view, would he be better off not disclosing this info to them? Would it be looked upon as being careless and would there be a possibility of them not paying out?

That I don't know. TBH, if it were me i'd probably forget about the nav - there'll be an excess, its present value is small, and only glass claims don't count as 'real' claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ring autoglass, they out in clondrinagh(sp??) they come out to the house, hoover up the mess and put in the window for ya.

If he is with hibernian, they deal with them too and it shouldnt affect his ncb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If he is fully comp his insurance will normally cover all glass breakages without affecting the no claims bonus. For the Sat Nav he will have to pay the excess, probably €250 at a minimum and will lose the no claims bonus as a result. He's better off putting the glass throught the insurance and forking out the for sat nav himself.

cronin_j wrote: »
    Ring autoglass, they out in clondrinagh(sp??) they come out to the house, hoover up the mess and put in the window for ya.

If he is with hibernian, they deal with them too and it shouldnt affect his ncb

Cheers, just got the number for him there. They said they are going to put in a perspex this evening, and put in the glass on Monday when they have the part. Goes through his insurance too. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

And this for the replacement sat nav. Have one and they are great value.

Bluetooth, European mapping and widescreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

say u could get cheaper that keogh's, but would reckon glass is covered under fully comp by most providers and would not affect no claims, also sat navs have really come down in price and some jan sales may still be had around the place, even tesco have fairly cheap tom toms i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Think he should chalk up the nav to experience and claim glass as mentioned above.

biko wrote: »
    Think he should chalk up the nav to experience and claim glass as mentioned above.

+1 - all the same some scummers around the place - where did it happen by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

With many rare/desirable cars going missing nowadays he should be very wary of where he parks his car. Don't mean to scare you but there was a similar incident with a Subaru Impreza documented in a thread here not so long ago. Got its drivers window smashed and nicked a week later after repair.

The thief might've be just swiping the satnav as a decoy to pop the bonnet/get chassis num to clone a key.

If I was your friend I'd be installing an alarm/steering lock etc rather than rushing out to replace a satnav. You can't be too careful nowadays..

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

you'd want to be careful if the gps had home set on it, all the thief has to do is press home and gps will lead him right to the house! Hopefully he'd a PIN set on it...

victor1 wrote: »
    +1 - all the same some scummers around the place - where did it happen by the way?

To be honest I was pretty surprised at the location. I work out in offices Ballycummin Village, far from being known as a dodgy area. There is always little fcukers playing ball in the car park around the back of our offices. The same car park is right beside/in the middle of a residential estate. Its quite often that people are about, as there is a womens gym, houses and many other commercial offices about. To do something like this between 15.00 - 15.30 in broad daylight is crazy. Then again, scummers these days don't really care.

Some valid points made about the GPS however. I must ask him if he had a 'home' setting on it.

Unfortunately with the way things are going, I have a feeling that cases like this are going to become far more common place around the country.

Could have happened anywhere i guess, little F*&kers have no respect for others property

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

As other posters suggested tell him to get security for his car. This incident may be the start of what they really want a few weeks down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A friend of mine saw someone trying to take the dustcaps of his wheel a few days back, so it snooked up behind the scumbag and banged his face against the alloy. Priceless. Scumbag didn't know what hit him.

A friend of mine saw someone trying to take the dustcaps of his wheel a few days back, so it snooked up behind the scumbag and banged his face against the alloy. Priceless. Scumbag didn't know what hit him.
    Your friend sounds like a bit of a scumbag himself, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Many people would consider him fairly restrained. He (thief) is lucky it wasn't followed up with a proper hiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Anan1 wrote: »
    Your friend sounds like a bit of a scumbag himself, TBH.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Many people would consider him fairly restrained. He (thief) is lucky it wasn't followed up with a proper hiding.

More than one account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

More than one account?

Nope not same person if that's what you mean, but I can't help noticing the irony of your own account name. :D

Advertisement