Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tattoo today, but have to attend a night out

• 09-01-2009 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

OK so I got a tattoo today (number 3) and had forgotten about my cousins 21st which I thought would be tomorrow. Now there is no real way for me to get out of this, but I am worried that the pub will be irritating for the tattoo. I remember with my second that I went out a few days later and it was OK, but not on the same day. Do you guys think it will be OK or is it a stupid move. I mean I assume people go back to work/go out after getting tattoos, but I hate having to cover a tattoo over with a jumper (it is on my forearm) and it is hard to apply ointment in a bar. What measures should I take to avoid harming it? Or am I stressing needlessly because I am bored!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Don't drink. That'll thin the blood and make it bleed more. Hmm, my opinion would be to get some bephanten on it and cover with cling film? But I'm sure mods/other BM'ers will have other (proper) ideas! But congratulations on the new addition. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Oh not drinking...damnit! Well I'm applying bephanten at the moment and am generally confident about how to make a tattoo heal correctly. Not so sure about clingfilm over it as this will not allow the tattoo to breathe, but would be a kind of protection. Bit of a catch-22!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I went to see flogging molly a few hours after my last sitting... talk about bad timing :eek:

I washed it off with aniti bacterial soap, applied bepanthen and covered in cling film.... and kept out of the mosh pit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I went straight to the pub after getting tattoo on me arm and had no bother at all. Had the clingfilm on for a bit then just took it off to leave it breathe. Had t-shirt on so it was grand. No worries with bleeding after a feed of pints for me anyways. Didnt have a drop of blood getting the tatt.

Thats the problem, I'll need to wear a jumper over it due to it being cold, but maybe when I get it I can try taking it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

scop wrote: »
    Oh not drinking...damnit! Well I'm applying bephanten at the moment and am generally confident about how to make a tattoo heal correctly. Not so sure about clingfilm over it as this will not allow the tattoo to breathe, but would be a kind of protection. Bit of a catch-22!

Leave it off for as long as possible to let it breathe :) Another time I went straight out after a tattoo :rolleyes: and left the same cling film on it, it went really gooey and some of the colour fell out.

Tis up to you but I really wouldnt drink. Apart from it thinning your blood. if youre drunk/tipsy youre more likely to bash the tatt off stuff/scratch or pull at it/let others touch it/fall over etc etc

I would also wash/bepanthen/cover right before heading out, but thats just me ;)

Thanks for the advice people :)

I think my plan is to not place it under clingfilm, but right before I go out put some bephanten on it right before I head out, and then just be careful whilst I'm out. I'll only stay for an two hours or so and avoid drink (or have one maybe) and that way it'd be the same as if I was staying in more or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I would say to cover it, as you're going to be in a warm/hot environment, where people are likely to bump into you etc... and it's only freshly done. So I'd say let it breathe as long as you can while you're at home, then before you go out, give it a clean, pat it dry, apply Bepanthen (you don't want to be able to see the Bepanthen by the way, so just use enough to moisturise the area well, and the skin is a little shiny after you rub it in, and none left sitting on the skin) then cover it with a layer of cling film.

I went out immediately after getting a tattoo done, and I didn't realize that the clingfilm had gotten peeled off when I was putting my top back on... so I ended up with a shirt with the back soaked with blood... nice eh? :pac:

And I'd recommend keeping off the drink totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kiwibelle

to long after you get it done. I would be seriously concerned if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

you can drink all you are able for after a tattoo.

I am a little disturb by the idea of taking the cling film off *in* the bar, and then sitting there in a t-shirt, with your new forearm tattoo one the tabble. That's stupid - its an open wound. you are risking your heath, and other peoples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I got twisted after my first sitting in order to numb the burning pain on my forearm, I had no problems with the blood. What I would advise though is not to end up balming out on the bed/couch/floor after a night on the beer and potentially hurting your tattoo.

Advertisement