Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gort and Oranmore Railway Stations progress

Options
  • 09-01-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

http://www.galwaynews.ie/6142-gort-s...ridor-progress

GORT SECTION OF WESTERN RAIL CORRIDOR TO PROGRESS
    Thu 8th January 2009
    An appeal which threatened the Gort stop off on the Western Rail Corridor has been withdrawn.

In a statement to Galway Bay fm News, it's been confirmed that Coen Holdings Limited and Iarnrod Eireann have "reached agreement on the matter".

The Belfast owned company, based in Gort, appealed the decision by County Planners to allow Iarnród Eireann develop the station as part of the re-opening of the Limerick to Galway railway line.

The planned works include two new 90 metre platforms, an 80 bay car park, pedestrian bridge and access roads

According to this article, a new railway station in Oranmore will be opened in Garraun:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/6876

Galway Advertiser, January 08, 2009.
    By Martina Nee

The Gort railway station is “one of the most significant stages” of the Western Rail Corridor, that’s according to the chairman of the Oireachtas Transport Committee, Frank Fahey, who welcomed the news that an objection lodged with An Bord Pleanála has now been withdrawn.

The new station at Gort forms Phase 1 of the Western Rail Corridor and trackwork began on the section in October 2007. The Ennis to Athenry line will link the towns of Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell, Oranmore, Athenry, and Galway.

Welcoming the news local Fianna Fail TD Frank Fahey said yesterday: “This is one of the most significant stages of the development of the Western Rail Corridor and I am delighted that it will now be in a position to move forward.

“In addition, I have also been informed that Garraun has been located for the Oranmore station as the level crossing at the old station site was not suitable for use. In order to progress matters as soon as possible, I have sought a meeting with Dr John Lynch of CIE concerning the station at Gort as well as the station at Oranmore,” he concluded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

Good news. Opening without Gort would have made very little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Can't wait! Gonna be great for coming home from college at the weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

Is there much interest from people in Gort in using the railway station once it re-opens?

I'm not from Gort but I have family there so it is gonna be really handy when we go visiting them on a Sunday and I have to go to college. Just hop on a train and 40 mins later, Limerick!!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/7176-galway-have-six-western-rail-corridor-stops-open-end-summer

GALWAY TO HAVE SIX WESTERN RAIL CORRIDOR STOPS OPEN BY THE END OF THE SUMMER
    Tue 14th April 2009
    There will be six train stops in Galway ready in time for the reopening of the first phase of the Western Rail Corridor at the end of the summer.

Iarnród Éireann has confirmed direct rail services from Galway to Limerick are expected to begin in late August via stations in Oranmore, Athenry, Craughwell, Ardrahan and Gort.

The trains will continue via Sixmilebridge and Ennis to Limerick upon completion of the 107 million euro redevelopment.

The project involved the upgrading of several stations in south Galway, the latest of which is Gort, which ran into planning difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Is it logical that they didn't go via Shannon Airport?

galwayrush wrote: »

There's enough buses doing that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

galwayrush wrote: »

The railway line predates the airport by a few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So the Oranmore station is going to be on a green field site, understandable as traffic would be a nightmare at the old spot if trains stopped there.
    I've seen Ardrahan station pretty much set up and ready, it appears to be on the site of the old station.
    What about the other stations in Gort and Craughwell? Are they to go up on their original stations (Craughwell was converted into private residence ISTR) or are they being moved?

flazio wrote: »
    So the Oranmore station is going to be on a green field site, understandable as traffic would be a nightmare at the old spot if trains stopped there.
    I've seen Ardrahan station pretty much set up and ready, it appears to be on the site of the old station.
    What about the other stations in Gort and Craughwell? Are they to go up on their original stations (Craughwell was converted into private residence ISTR) or are they being moved?

Gort railway station will be where the original station was, not sure about Craughwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

flazio wrote: »

While I don't know the answer to your question, I know that in at least one case (Dunboyne) a former station that was converted to a private house was bought back again by IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

In relation to stations houses, I know the Ardrahan station house is a private dwelling and is going to remain so.

The Platform has been extended further down the line and it will only have a shelter and a ticket vending machine. All the internal road areas have been tarmaced but there is still a pile of stones and rubble where the car park will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Does anyone know if there will be a shuttlebus operating from Oranmore to bring people into work around the Parkmore area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andybertson

anyone know exactly where the station is in Gort, had a look on google maps but probably pics taken before it was built, is it near the bridge by aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

anyone know exactly where the station is in Gort, had a look on google maps but probably pics taken before it was built, is it near the bridge by aldi?

Yes, there is a sign there, pointing the way.

Advertisement