Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Massive problem Advice Needed

Options
  • 09-01-2009 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi gang,

i need your advice. The end of march last year I bought a 06 Focus van 1.6 diesel in a trade garage meaning they wouldn't give me a guarantee. It was driving fine until last October when i was driving down the M50 and the turbo blew. So i rang the garage where i bought it and they didn't want to know about it.

After a week of having no transport for work ect. i decided to bite the bullet and went to a well know Ford garage in Dublin and paid them to do it. The next day i drove it out the garage and i didnt get 2 km and it was again. this happened twice after that, leaving me at the side of the road in the middle of the country last at night on both occasions.

Anyway the last time I got it back, they told me they found steel shaving in the sump and they were blaming this for the reason why the turbo's kept going . This was the second week in November and she was driving like a train ........ until New Years Day.

After spending a great new years eve with the inlaws I was just pulling out the drive and (you guessed it) she went again.

So i got it up to the same garage, and now they tell me i need a new engine and it is goin to cost €4500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say i aint too happy.

Anybody have any advice?

Really dont know what to do.:(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Have you considered the possibility that there wasn't actually a problem with the turbo at all and the problem all along was that there was a problem with an engine cylinder being worn, burning excess oil and presenting a problem that could have been mistaken for a turbo seal problem???

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

If you do need to replace the engine then a secondhand one from a breaker's yard would be a helluva lot cheaper than 4500. The price will depend on demand but I'd be expecting 1000-1500. You would still have to get it fitted but this is a straightforward (if big) task and any independent mechanic worth his salt would be able to do for you. Not sure how easy it will be to get - there should be a lot of them scrapped, esp in the North, but I have heard of these engines giving some trouble in the past so you might find that demand is high.

Traynor's in Armagh would be a good place to start the search for one of these.

If you get the turbo on a secondhand engine then you would be starting again as if you had changed the van for another one (from an engine point of view), so should solve your problems, but not your bank balance.

If you bought it in a trade sale then you have no comeback but I assume you bought it at the right price anyway. AFAIK garages don't have to warranty a van, whereas by law they have to warranty a car.

Advertisement