Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems copying from a table in an asp file to excel

Options
  • 09-01-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've created a table in an asp file, however when you copy and paste the contents into excel, everything appears in one cell. I know I can paste into notepad and replace the spaces with tab spaces and it should display but I need this to work for dummies :)

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>Total</td><td>2500</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

where are you copying from?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

try this .. haven't got excel so couldn't try it myself ...

http://www.mrkent.com/tools/converter/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Thanks for the link brian but that doesn't work for me, all the data still gets dumped into one cell??

Found out how to do it easily
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010450851033.aspx
    "Within Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer (version 5.0 or higher) includes two ways for you to create a Web query in Excel from within Internet Explorer. These methods are described below.

Using the shortcut menu You can now export tabular data that you find on a Web page to Excel using the shortcut menu. Right-click on the data and choose Export to Microsoft Excel. This feature allows you to start the process of creating a Web query right from within Internet Explorer.

Using the Edit button Another way to get tabular data from a Web page into an Excel workbook is to use the Edit button in Internet Explorer. This button includes Excel as a valid editor for all Web pages. When you find data that you would like to export to Excel, click the down arrow next to the Edit button and click Edit with Microsoft Excel."

Doesn't work in FF though, but the person that needs to do this is using IE so all sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

That actually used to annoy me too. I have that kinda application when i copy from my bank details online to excel.

try hitting ctrl a on the page, or select the text outside of the table aswell as the table itself.
    Its messy, espicially if there are images on the page since they are copied into excel too.

let me know if you get what i mean

• Advertisement

Copying outside the table seems to work too, thanks samhail

Advertisement