Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rory Gallagher-esque

• 09-01-2009 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭

can anyone recommend some blues albums along the same lines as rory gallaghers acoustic material?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Have n't heard much of Gallagher's acoustic music, but an album I like a lot is "Eric Clapton Unplugged".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tullahorse

anyone out there know the name of the RG track used at the end of MTusa show used be on Sunday for 3 hours in the 80s...please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭dasdog

tullahorse wrote: »
    anyone out there know the name of the RG track used at the end of MTusa show used be on Sunday for 3 hours in the 80s...please.

I think its "Follow Me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tullahorse

thats it...thanks a mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rigsby wrote: »
    Eric Clapton Unplugged

Yeah he sounds better when he's unplugged alright :D

You really cant go wrong with Bert Jansch when your talkin about acoustic music. Now he aint very like Rory but he's amazing (imo of course)

• Advertisement

Yeah he sounds better when he's unplugged alright :D

I much prefer the acoustic version of "Layla" on that album, than the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

thers a guy called rainer who does some very good acoutic blues type stuff, all slide though I think. I only have 1 album and most of it is good.

You could always go back to the roots and get a Robert Johnson album. Most of his stuff is acoustic.

I much prefer the acoustic version of "Layla" on that album, than the original.

I enjoyed his Cream era work but Clapton solo just puts me asleep, then again im into heavier/meatier blues than what he does so maybe im not one to judge
    You could always go back to the roots and get a Robert Johnson album. Most of his stuff is acoustic.

+1

then again im into heavier/meatier blues

I'm curious to know which artists you like. :confused:

I think Clapton's popularity has waned in recent years. Though in the early days the slogan "Clapton is God" rang true. Once he left "Cream" I did n't buy much of his music 'till "From the Cradle" and "Unplugged". IMO some of his best playing is to be heard on the "Beano" album with the "Bluesbreakers". Their version of "Hideaway" from that album is a lot heavier than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

+1

A lot of the old delta blues is incredible.

Sean_K wrote: »

A lot of the old delta blues is incredible.

Indeed it is !

OP : If you decide to go this route (root ! :D ), then other names to watch out for would be Son House and Elmore James (he did some electric too).

I'm curious to know which artists you like

Massively into george thorogood and Rory but Stevie Ray Vaughan gotta be the number one, dont think anybody comes close to SRV.
    in the early days the slogan "Clapton is God" rang true

The thing is, there wasn't much there before clapton/cream came along and he got found out eventually. Blackmore/Gallagher/Hendrix/Page all blew clapton out of the water.
    IMO some of his best playing is to be heard on the "Beano" album with the "Bluesbreakers".

Definatly but he's gone so far away from the work he did with john mayall and with cream.

Massively into george thorogood and Rory but Stevie Ray Vaughan gotta be the number one, dont think anybody comes close to SRV.

The thing is, there wasn't much there before clapton/cream came along and he got found out eventually. Blackmore/Gallagher/Hendrix/Page all blew clapton out of the water.

Definatly but he's gone so far away from the work he did with john mayall and with cream.

Yeah, SRV was a great artist/performer. Another of mine is Buddy Guy.

It's not necessarily true that there was nothing there before Clapton/Cream came along. There was a lot going on, but we did not know about it on this side of the Atlantic 'till it became popular in Britian in the 60's. Admittedly Cream were unique at the time. By his own admission Clapton was heavily influenced by Freddy King who was doing something similiar before Clapton. BTW, the same goes for SRV with Albert King ( A.King was SRV's teacher and mentor ). Clapton was seminal, in that he took the music and made his own mark on it, making it popular (for blues !! ) in the process, with no small help from John Mayall, Alexis Korner ect. in the 60's blues explosion in Britain. While he has strayed away form "the roots" down the years, he does return to them from time to time.

As for the other guitarists you quote : disagree 100% with regards to Page.

Clapton was seminal, in that he took the music and made his own mark on it, making it popular (for blues !! )

thats exactly what i was tryin to get at. well said.
    As for the other guitarists you quote : disagree 100% with regards to Page.

How come? I thought he took music to an altogether new level

There's that whole plagiarism thing that he's accused of, Im pretty sure there was only 2 - 3 original songs on their first album

How come? I thought he took music to an altogether new level

Cant really put my finger on an exact reason. He just never communicated with me the way other blues guitarists do. For that matter neither does BB King, :eek: :D legend and genius that he is. So who am I to judge.

He just never communicated with me the way other blues guitarists do

a Communication Breakdown was it? sorry i'll get my coat............

a Communication Breakdown was it?

Is n't that what musicians are supposed to do through their music ???

Or maybe you'd prefer "he never floated my boat" ? :D

There's no "communications breakdown" here though. ;)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=cXE8u_HRpls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

B.B. King and John Lee Hooker are what i can think off...
    Not exactly Rory but still good blues music... Been listening to lot of John Lee Hooker lately, he's got such a voice...i'm in the moooood!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Early Fleetwood Mac 1967-1970.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Jimi Hendrix is a little like Rory too... but Jimi is more rock n roll while Rory is more blues, but they've got a similar style...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 acousticer

nice choice.....Rory was such a legend yet he is still so under-rated!

well some of his acoustic stuff would be
    Out on the western plane
    Barley and grape rag
    Pistol slapper blues
    Secret agent
    Too much alcohol
    Going to my hometown
    As the Crow flies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭hypnosisdublin

If you like Rory, you'll probably like Gwyn Ashton a lot.

http://ie.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=gwyn+ashton&aq=0&oq=gwyn+

Advertisement