Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security - Re: Safe and alarm

Options
  • 09-01-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I am looking for advice on:
    1) How to best fix a safe to a solid block wall

2) What would be considered a good alarm system?? I want to install it myself. I have done a basic electronic course and lots of DIY. I have heard HKC is the best. Is this true?? Do I need a phone line???

3) Sensor lights, a good make.

4) Driveway detection system. IE When someone drives in I want to know in advance.

It is easy to wire anything at this stage.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

sig226 wrote: »
    I am looking for advice on:
    Depends on size a lot.
    Ideally cemented & bolted into a concrete wall
    2) What would be considered a good alarm system?? I want to install it myself. I have done a basic electronic course and lots of DIY. I have heard HKC is the best. Is this true?? Do I need a phone line???
    If you are installing yourself The Astec Fusion is ideal as it combines global configurations which you would have covered on your course with the simplicity of the Astec 2 wire system. If you have a phone line you can have monitoring or text notification
    If you want to go one better the SigNet 300 give you IP & connects directly to your router. This gives you full access from any web browser including your mobile. The Panel is a couple of hundred €s dearer though.
    3) Sensor lights, a good make.
    Steinal are the best. In Dublin they are available from Reliable Security in Druncondra
    4) Driveway detection system. IE When someone drives in I want to know in advance.
    The above Steinal lights can incorporate this also
    It is easy to wire anything at this stage.
    That would depend on the site really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

12 or 14mm threaded rod chemical fixed (hilti) to the wall.
    I have heard HKC is the best
    It is a very good system. It will meet the requirements that you want.

I can see from your user name and your questions what you are looking for. Restricted firearms require special security measures to be taken that change from one garda district to another. I am a keen target shooter myself and have installed alarm systems for many people with restristed firearms. These systems are generally inspected by the local crime prevention officer and I know what they require. If you would like some assistance with this project PM me and I am sure we can meet up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are looking to secure guns sig, the safe will need to be alarmed & probobly on a 24hr zone & be monitored by a central station with garda response. This can only be done for you by a Licenced installer. Your local crime prevention officer will not accept work you do yourself or from anyone esle who is not licenced. These requirements will be strongly enforced especially after the incident in Tipperary on Friday morning.

the safe will need to be alarmed & probobly on a 24hr zone & be monitored by a central station with garda response.
    With restricted firearms there is a bit more to it than that. I have installed such systems many times now. References can be supplied.
    Your local crime prevention officer will not accept work you do yourself or from anyone esle who is not licenced
    Incorrect as can be demonstarated.

fishdog wrote: »
    Incorrect as can be demonstarated.
    Are you saying they will accept a system that is not monitored or not certified to en50131 ???
    Please do explain

• Advertisement

I am saying that I have installed systems that met the requirements of the crime prevention officers that inspected these installations. Following the inspections firearms certifiates were issued in all cases. The applicant had to meet many other requirements too, but the security is a vital one.

Standards have to exceed EN50131 which is considered too low and monitoring is a requirement.

Experience with firearms and knowing the people involved (it is a very small circle) is also a very important aspect of this kind of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

Your local crime prevention officer will not accept work you do yourself or from anyone esle who is not licenced
    I will be meeting him shortly for a chat.
    Experience with firearms and knowing the people involved (it is a very small circle) is also a very important aspect of this kind of work.
    I agree

fishdog PM sent

I am saying that I have installed systems that met the requirements of the crime prevention officers that inspected these installations.
    Emphises on have. All installations must now comply to EN50131 to be monitored & have Garda response. For a system to comply to EN50131 it must be installed by a licenced installer. It is illegal for a person to employ a non licenced installer . Are you going to hijack every thread with this same argument?
    This is the law now whether you agree with it or not.
    Standards have to exceed EN50131 which is considered too low and monitoring is a requirement.
    Not true. A certified system to EN50131 is acceptable

PM recieved thanks. Yes you can post the pictures after.

Advertisement