Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCAS- Interviewing before the closing date??

• 09-01-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

I just sent off my application through UCAS yesterday. I was having a look at some UK university forums and a lot of people made their application and have received conditional offers or interviews. How come? The closing date for applications isn't until 15th January. As I sent my application yesterday does that put me at a disadvantage? :confused: I'm applying as a mature student if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

some students get conditional offers early, it just depends on the university and course, i didnt get my conditional offers to very late and i had applied before christmas and i got a conditional offer for all my choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

My application went in on the 3rd October and I got my 5th offer on the 23rd Dec.

Interviews and auditions have been happening since the first few applications went in, i know of a girl who went for an audition in London around the start of November.

It won't affect your chances, most of the offers are only conditional, after all.

Where are you applying to?

I've only applied to Queens Belfast and University of Ulster (Magee), the Magee courses has decisions back within about 2 weeks, Queens took a little longer, its usually 6-8 weeks. UU Jordanstown and Coleraine were out about the same time as the Magee offers. It does also depend on the courses as to when you get the offer, some faculties release their decisions first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Like everyone else said, nothing to worry about. The closer it gets to the deadline the slower it gets (everyone scrambling to put their apps in) but some of the earlier apps do get early decisions. If it's TSR you're looking at I wouldn't read too much into what they're saying...I've been modding there for years and it's full of BSers who are trying to one-up on the Oxbridgers.

To misslt...what courses at UUM & QUB? I went to both (well went to UUM, at QUB now) :)

At Magee, Drama with Irish and Accountancy and Human Resource Management, At QUB Accountancy, Mathematics and Actuarial Studies.

But I really want to go to Dublin. (I'm living in the North so Belfast/Derry doesn't hold that much attraction for me :))

What courses have you done/are doing?

Dublin is pretty fab isn't it :D Though Belfast has its charms too....

I did History & Politics at UUM, Politics at QUB. I'm thinking about Limerick or Dublin after here but I'll miss it terribly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thanks for the replies. Still a bit :eek: about people already getting offers.

I've applied to Uni. of Ulster, Liverpool, Cardiff, King's College and University of East London.

All bar UU are backups if I don't get in any courses in the south. The more I speak to people about Jordanstown the more I want to go there!!

Nice one, yeah I love Dublin, always have!

Larianne I really wouldn't worry about it, I mean I probably won't meet the conditions for half my offers, neither will a lot of people.

If it comes to one place between you and someone else, and you both meet the conditions, it won't matter who got their offer first, they won't get the place automatically because they got their offer first.

misslt wrote: »
    Nice one, yeah I love Dublin, always have!

Larianne I really wouldn't worry about it, I mean I probably won't meet the conditions for half my offers, neither will a lot of people.

If it comes to one place between you and someone else, and you both meet the conditions, it won't matter who got their offer first, they won't get the place automatically because they got their offer first.

Oh right, cheers for that. Bit of a relief! Other thing now worrying me is I can't log onto track? Maybe it's too early for my account to be ready?

You should be able to, it would just say we have received your application or whatever, can you not log in at all?

No, I think it's because I applied last year and at the log-in page it keeps going back to last years log in details. I just have to figure out how to get rid of them. I've just got an email giving me the track log in details so I'll figure it out.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Still a bit :eek: about people already getting offers.

I've applied to Uni. of Ulster, Liverpool, Cardiff, King's College and University of East London.

All bar UU are backups if I don't get in any courses in the south. The more I speak to people about Jordanstown the more I want to go there!!

jordanstown is a great campus youll love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pintohead

I just sent off my application through UCAS yesterday. I was having a look at some UK university forums and a lot of people made their application and have received conditional offers or interviews. How come? The closing date for applications isn't until 15th January. As I sent my application yesterday does that put me at a disadvantage? :confused: I'm applying as a mature student if that makes any difference.

Hey i am in the process of sending off my UCAS. I know the deadline was the 15th,but i rang the uni today and they said i will still will be considered but as a late applicant.I'm applying as a mature student also :D but i am having a bit of difficulty in the application.Im applying as an individual and when im filling out my educational backround there is no facility for me to list my leaving cert subjects and results.just enquiring had you experienced this or am i doing it wrong :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

pintohead wrote: »
    Hey i am in the process of sending off my UCAS. I know the deadline was the 15th,but i rang the uni today and they said i will still will be considered but as a late applicant.I'm applying as a mature student also :D but i am having a bit of difficulty in the application.Im applying as an individual and when im filling out my educational backround there is no facility for me to list my leaving cert subjects and results.just enquiring had you experienced this or am i doing it wrong :confused:

Hi
    first you must add a school/college then you have to add all your leaving Cert subjects as seperate qualifications but at the same college.
    Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Is University Ulster hard to get into ??? I applied for Psychology but no offers yet :( from them

I believe so. I've the HPAT to do on Saturday. :eek:

Brooke01 wrote: »
    Is University Ulster hard to get into ??? I applied for Psychology but no offers yet :( from them

Generally not but it depends on the course I guess. If you go there you'll notice how everyone thinks you only went there because QUB wouldn't have you :rolleyes: There's a lot of snobbery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Generally not but it depends on the course I guess. If you go there you'll notice how everyone thinks you only went there because QUB wouldn't have you :rolleyes: There's a lot of snobbery!

or every other college in Ireland?

markok84 wrote: »
    or every other college in Ireland?

As you know yourself Mark, the majority of students at UU/QUB are from the 6 counties/Donegal. Of course there are plenty of people who aren't, but most are...and go there to stay closer to home.

As your course is more niche than say History or Law it'd probably be slightly more different for you.

As you know yourself Mark, the majority of students at UU/QUB are from the 6 counties/Donegal. Of course there are plenty of people who aren't, but most are...and go there to stay closer to home.

As your course is more niche than say History or Law it'd probably be slightly more different for you.

Ahh touché........... BT4???? did you move?

Yeah, to get away from you and your sickness! No, always BT4. Hop, skip and jump from the Ormeau though :D

Iirc you owe me a call about this whole America thing....sick person.

• Advertisement

Yeah, to get away from you and your sickness! No, always BT4. Hop, skip and jump from the Ormeau though :D

Iirc you owe me a call about this whole America thing....sick person.

Shur call up and we can discuss the whole issue over tea and marylands.

markok84 wrote: »
    Shur call up and we can discuss the whole issue over tea and marylands.

Haha. Marylands were half price in Sainsburys last time I saw them!! Don't recall seeing you out there filling your basket with them though. It's a date.

the majority of students at UU/QUB are from the 6 counties/Donegal.

oh no! :D

Got the HPAT in Jordanstown this Saturday. :eek:

;) Good luck, I'm sure it will go grand! Are you staying up or just coming for the day?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

i got a OFFER i was accepted its Conditional !!!!!! i'm so happy

Congrats!! :)

i got a OFFER i was accepted its Conditional !!!!!! i'm so happy

well done, i hope ya get what ya need for it now

oh no! :D

Got the HPAT in Jordanstown this Saturday. :eek:

best of luck tomorrow.

The test was pretty tough I have to say. Just about answered everything in the time given. I didn't realise there was so many questions in each section.

It was my first time up at the campus. I like that it's beside the sea and so near Belfast so I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to go there. :)

• Advertisement

The test was pretty tough I have to say. Just about answered everything in the time given. I didn't realise there was so many questions in each section.

It was my first time up at the campus. I like that it's beside the sea and so near Belfast so I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to go there. :)

ya no ya want to go there? im sure youll be alrite when do ya hear back

I'm applying as a Mature student so I think my chances are less. :(

I'm now starting to look into grants etc. What type of accommodation is available around Jordanstown? I saw the student residences on the way in. What are they like? Is there much accommodation around the town?

I'm applying as a Mature student so I think my chances are less. :(

I'm now starting to look into grants etc. What type of accommodation is available around Jordanstown? I saw the student residences on the way in. What are they like? Is there much accommodation around the town?

basically first thing ya need to learn jordanstown as a town itself is basically the university of ulster.

the student residences are class but there very expensive something like 80-90 stg a week

courtyard is also great accomadation and comes at a much cheaper price of 60 or so pounds stg.

the majority of mature students would be located in the the courtyard but it doesnt really matter. there is also off campus accomadation which is also good qualtiy but is alot cheaper, i take it the reason for this is that its roughly 20-25 minute walk tothe closest one from the campus. but thats not that bad. the off campus accomadtion is either glendun or glenwhirry i think.

alot of students from jordanstown decide to locate themseloves in belfast like i have done. its very handy as there is busses every 10-15 minutes. approx time on the bus is 30 min.

thats basically it, any other questions dont be afriad to ask

Ha, all the oldies held in one area!

I was thinking about maybe staying in Belfast city. Is the accommodation cheaper or more expensive there? What areas are nice etc.?

Thanks for the info.

all and all accomadation would be more expensive here? cause accomadtion in jtown is all inclusive i.e. all bills incuded in the rent. but im still so glad i moved into belfast. its brilliant, areas in belfast are, stranmillis for the more quietier area ( thats were i live) holylands is the more party area and then theres other place like lisburn road ormeau road that attract everybody, and theres also were meanie boots lives but i cant remember were that is? somewhere near ryans meanie?

I may be going up to Belfast in 2 weeks time so I can check it out.

• Advertisement

I may be going up to Belfast in 2 weeks time so I can check it out.

yeah thats what ya need to do

some estate agents up here are very good for student houses

they main ones that i can remember are

piney which is on the stranmillis roadm in stranmillis

mc gettigan i think it is which is on lisburn

theres more on the stranmillis road just cant remembe what there called

www.propertynews.com is good if you're looking to rent by yourself/with people you already know. If you're looking for house-shares try gumtree and www.spareroom.co.uk (both free).

I don't live near Ryans regob....everyone I know does though!

oops sorry

regob wrote: »
    yeah thats what ya need to do

some estate agents up here are very good for student houses

they main ones that i can remember are

piney which is on the stranmillis roadm in stranmillis

mc gettigan i think it is which is on lisburn

theres more on the stranmillis road just cant remembe what there called

well was to actually go on the piss.. and maybe have a look around areas too. :D

Cheers for the info guys. I sort derailled my own thread.

oh bot

• Advertisement

Conditional offers for both Uni of Ulster and Uni of East London. WhooooOOoo.

Conditional offers for both Uni of Ulster and Uni of East London. WhooooOOoo.

congradulations well done, do ya not mean unconditional?

No conditional, once I get 70% in my exams for Ulster and 80% for UEL. I'm hoping that's doable since I'm taking the next 2 weeks off work to study!

No conditional, once I get 70% in my exams for Ulster and 80% for UEL. I'm hoping that's doable since I'm taking the next 2 weeks off work to study!

i thought u already sat the exams, im confused

Yeah I sat the HPAT but I'm currently doing an access course which they want me to get 70% in all the exams. But I've received an offer from Trinity so I'm 98% certain I'm gonna take their offer.

Yeah I sat the HPAT but I'm currently doing an access course which they want me to get 70% in all the exams. But I've received an offer from Trinity so I'm 98% certain I'm gonna take their offer.

thats cool

Advertisement