Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too many chiefs not enough indians

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

im new to this forum and the one thing that stands out straight away is just how arrogant the moderators are. unbelievably sad situation going on here

do these people have no lives or what?

example thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055457607

look at all the mods come on and throw there weight around before the regular joe soaps express there opinions

one actually locks the thread to not allow anyone else get there word in until the other mods get there to flame
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As far as I could see the thread was locked under suspicion of it being a troll, designed to irritate all the girls in the fitness forum. Good call, if you ask me, given all the pink and glittery ptaking.

Turns out it wasnt trolling, and the thread has continued ok since.

If you want to make your point, choose a better example than that one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It appears to me that the OP of that thread was just trying to troll TBH.

Sincerely,
    Big Chief Bollocko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

chances are the person who started the thread doesnt even know what trolling is. if the mods are gonna be offended why not just delete the thread rather than locking it and flaming her

seems to me if a mod doesnt agree with someone they lock a thread or ban the person

why not just delete it and pm the poster?

would that not stop people getting the impression that mods just love throwing there weight around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I don't expect anybody to give a flying fock what I think as I don't frequent the Fitness forum but I think if I was the OP I wouldn't have bothered my ass coming back.

Boards Cliqueyness at its worst. Like being at girls school all over again. I hate when I see this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Peared wrote: »
    I don't expect anybody to give a flying fock what I think as I don't frequent the Fitness forum but I think if I was the OP I wouldn't have bothered my ass coming back.

Boards Cliqueyness at its worst. Like being at girls school all over again. I hate when I see this.

You have to understand that the thread appeared to be nothing more than a fitness forum troll designed to piss the women who frequent there off when the clique bit I think you are referring to happened. OK It may now be some sort of misunderstanding in this case but if I saw post one of that thread as a mod I would think that that thread is only going one way, badly. Speaking as one who has trolled the fitness forum in the past I don't really see a problem with a bit of light hearted banter rather than people rising to the bait which is what could have happened. It read to me that that was a bloke calling out women saying they cant lift weights. The OP used language that indicated same and did not say that she was, in fact, a she until after the whole thing. It's a misunderstanding. Lets leave it at that.

mods are very quick to gang up on people but when they realise there mistakes they will never admit it. thats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To me, it initially appeared to be someone looking to cause aggro - and I assumed it was a guy (I know, despite the avatar :o) trying to piss women off (it has been known to happen :D). The tone is quite antagonistic, and when someone is a new member and behaving antagonistically... alarm bells sound, as that is a classic troll sign.

However, that is me speaking as someone who has been a member here for three and a half years, and moderating for a year. So, putting myself in your shoes OP, I can see where you're coming from. On the face of it, I can understand how, to a newbie, it would look more like the aggression is coming from the moderators' side rather than that of the person who started the thread.

But smashey and g'em are actually great people so there was no mod cliquey carry-on, I assure you - no "haha! Let's belittle the newbie!" shenanigans. They just took the OP up the wrong way. And non Fitness moderators, well they're members like anyone else because they don't moderate Fitness. I moderate one of the music forums. If I trolled or insulted someone on After Hours I would get my ass banned so fast (in fact I got banned from there a couple of weeks ago but it was all a horrible mistake - boo hiss Terry! :mad: :(). And I used to moderate After Hours too.

The Fitness thread was locked because it was felt it was a troll and possibly not worth keeping open, but then it was decided to reopen it when g'em came online, as she is a competitive lifter.

I don't think it's fair of you to say the mods are arrogant. There are several mods - three hundred I think - don't tar all of them with the same brush. And they're certainly not all singing from the same hymn-sheet.

Also, when you're on Boards a long time, you get to know others (both moderators and members) and your perspectives of them change - so if someone whom you don't know seems like an asshole, you could get to know them six months down the line and discover they're fantastic, and what once appeared like asshole behaviour by them was actually reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, I can understand why this post:
    Just wondering, is there any females in Ireland who actually lift weights heavier than 3kgs??? Everytime im in the gym i see girls doing endless bicep curls with 3 or 4kgs, is there any girls out there who like to challenge themselves?

from a completely new poster might have led to a suspicion that this was someone trolling / just trying to annoy the women who post in that forum and are heavily into their fitness.

Looking at the OP's later posts, it becomes fairly clear that that wasn't the intent, and it's really just a choice of words that could be interpreted in 2 different ways. That's the problem with the net ... no body language etc. to help elucidate meaning / intent.

Smashey locked it temporarily when the first post was the only one available to judge by until someone more expert in womens fitness (i.e. g'em) got to it, and was able to respond more knowledgably ... partly I presume to prevent trolling if that was what it was, but by doing so also preventing the OP being flamed by others in the meantime.

G'em got to it a few minutes later, things were clarified and discussion has continued in a friendly and light-hearted manner.

A bit over-cautious? Perhaps, as it turned out, but there really are an inordinate amount of trolls on the web, and people WILL still insist on rising to the bait and getting into flame-wars, though they should really have more sense.

The end of the world as we know it? A thread locked for exactly 15 minutes? Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Dudess wrote: »
    Also, when you're on Boards a long time, you get to know others (both moderators and members) and your perspectives of them change - so if someone whom you don't know seems like an asshole, you could get to know them six months down the line and discover they're fantastic, and what once appeared like asshole behaviour by them was actually reasonable.

Sounds a lot like Stockholm syndrome:pac:

-As randy says perhaps a bit over-cautious but hopefully well intended and the op wasn't put off continuing to post.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Even if the thread was going to be locked, there's a polite way of approaching the poster.

I think the OP was definitely ganged up on.

It just looks bad, but at least she's still here.

there should be a process put in place. if threads are thought to be trolling they should be moved to a hidden moderators section and the poster should be private messaged.

ill say it once again

start looking at it from the point of view of people who arent 2000 posters or mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

To me, it initially appeared to be someone looking to cause aggro - and I assumed it was a guy (I know, despite the avatar :o) trying to piss women off (it has been known to happen :D). The tone is quite antagonistic, and when someone is a new member and behaving antagonistically... alarm bells sound, as that is a classic troll sign.

However, that is me speaking as someone who has been a member here for three and a half years, and moderating for a year. So, putting myself in your shoes OP, I can see where you're coming from. On the face of it, I can understand how, to a newbie, it would look more like the aggression is coming from the moderators' side rather than that of the person who started the thread.

But smashey and g'em are actually great people so there was no mod cliquey carry-on, I assure you - no "haha! Let's belittle the newbie!" shenanigans. They just took the OP up the wrong way. And non Fitness moderators, well they're members like anyone else because they don't moderate Fitness. I moderate one of the music forums. If I trolled or insulted someone on After Hours I would get my ass banned so fast (in fact I got banned from there a couple of weeks ago but it was all a horrible mistake - boo hiss Terry! :mad: :(). And I used to moderate After Hours too.

The Fitness thread was locked because it was felt it was a troll and possibly not worth keeping open, but then it was decided to reopen it when g'em came online, as she is a competitive lifter.

I don't think it's fair of you to say the mods are arrogant. There are several mods - three hundred I think - don't tar all of them with the same brush. And they're certainly not all singing from the same hymn-sheet.

:D wow...you have opinions on everything don't ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

chrism2007 wrote: »
    im new to this forum and the one thing that stands out straight away is just how arrogant the moderators are. unbelievably sad situation going on here

do these people have no lives or what?

IF you have an issue with a post then use the report post function.

Mods are just posters outside of the forums they mod and they are not perfect or paragons of virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Even if the thread was going to be locked, there's a polite way of approaching the poster.

I think the OP was definitely ganged up on.

It just looks bad, but at least she's still here.

Flamebait* attracted flaming. Gentle, light-hearted flaming at that. Shocker. Read all about it.

Even then, the OP rolled with it (Maybe it's a general fitness freak clique?!!11!). It's up to bleeding hearts unrelated to the thread to take offence and take up arms.

* Ignorance - check. Asinine assumption(s) - check. Borderline boasting build-up - check.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Boards clique me bollix.

Break the rules and you get banned.
    I don't give a flying fúck if you own the site. In those cases, I can't actually ban you, but I'll tell you not to post in my forums and delete your posts if you do.

Yeah, I lifted Dudesses ban, but that was after she explained her post to me via PM and I ralised I was wrong.

Yeah, there are some mods in little cliques, but there are users in little cliques too.

I know who they are (mostly) and I don't care if they like me or not. I treat everyone the same.
    Most moderators do the same thing.

If you think someone is involved in cliquish behaviour, then take it up in the help desk and the Smods (who are impartial) will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

there should be a process put in place. if threads are thought to be trolling they should be moved to a hidden moderators section and the poster should be private messaged.
    Your suggestion has its merit, but I think you underestimate the size of the site. PMing every suspected troll would take up an inordinate amount of voluntary time for the moderators. The vast majority of threads which are believed to be trolls, are in fact trolls. The ones which aren't, like the one you quoted, will be resolved quickly and reopened for discussion.

I personally wouldn't have seen any reason to lock the thread in question, but then I don't really frequent the Fitness forum all that much, so threads making fun of women weightlifters might appear all the time.

When you see a moderator action which you think looks a little iffy, don't be afraid to PM the mod and ask (nicely!) why they did it. There will be a back story behind the action which you're not aware of.

There is no problem with people being vigilant about moderator's actions, in fact given the scale of the site, I would say that kind of checking is now essential. No moderator will ban you or otherwise take action against you for asking them a simple question in a friendly manner. If they do, you have someone you can complain to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Like being at girls school all over again.
    I wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

look at all the mods come on and throw there weight around before the regular joe soaps express there opinions
    I don't see anyone throw their weight around. I see a dodgy OP full of sweeping statements and generalisations of the nature that are absolutely sure to annoy the average Fitness Forum-er and people responding with understandable cynicism, but no weight throwing.
    So you hate it when you see a situation you know nothing about in a forum you don't frequent and you have no understanding of what goes on in or how things or normally dealt with?

I feel suitably chastised.
    mods are very quick to gang up on people but when they realise there mistakes they will never admit it. thats the problem
    I'll be the first to admit when I'm mistaken and have no problem whatsoever apologising when I've done wrong by someone. In this case I don't feel I have any need to say sorry or admit any wrongdoing.

It's the 9th of January. The gyms are full to bursting. The Fitness forum is awash with threads asking for advice on fat loss, weight gain, dietary improvement and howtogetmusclezwithoutgettingtoobig. We have an amazing cohort of posters who takes a lot of time out of their day to answer these queries in great detail and with a lot of patience. They do this for no other reason than to help out another person looking to achieve their goals - it's a benevolence shared on many fora across boards.ie, but on a personal level I believe that it's particularly strong in the Fitness forum.

But we also attract the trolls and people who have nothing better to do with their time than to stir Sh!t. The OP of that thread reeked of poop. It was the second thread today that questioned or made fun of the ability of women to lift weights and we were cautious about it. If the OP feels that she was ganged up on then I absolutely apologise for that - I'm always delighted to see girls posting on the forum and even more so when they share my love of lifting.

Having said that from reading later posts from the OP within that thread I think she can see how what she posted was perhaps easy to misinterpret. I do hope she sticks around and becomes another member of our ever-growing community.

To the OP of this thread: if you're going to preach about manners and people throwing their weight around, would it have been too much to ask for you to contact us directly instead of coming here to bemoan and criticise us without first knowing anything about what was actually happening in the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Mods posting in thread mentioned = 2
    People posting in thread = 18

Percentage of posters who are mods = 11.(1)̇%

Posts by mods = 5
    Posts by everyone = 42

Percentage of posts by mods = 11.(904761)%

You fail at basic maths.

me_513.jpg
    fail-math-woman.jpg
    calculus-fail.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I read the forum gem, I just don't post in it.

And I am as entitled to an opinion as your good self.

Talliesin wrote: »
    Mods posting in thread mentioned = 2
    People posting in thread = 18

Percentage of posters who are mods = 11.(1)̇%

Posts by mods = 5
    Posts by everyone = 42

Percentage of posts by mods = 11.(904761)%

You fail at basic maths.

rediculous reply. how many people replied when i started this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I read the forum gem, I just don't post in it.

And I am as entitled to an opinion as your good self.

You are indeed, but if the opinion was an informed one it would be fairer to everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

rediculous reply. how many people replied when i started this thread?
    Yes. Clearly at that time the 2 moderators were totally ganging up on the other 12 posters :D

LOL. I was joking the first time, but you really do fail at basic maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

As a member who reads loads more fora than I post in - and I certainly dont read or post in Fitness ( one of the few places I post in is moderated by Smashey) -I have no doubt that he was right to temp-close the thread . The OP of the linked thread reads as antagonistic and the thread could have gone badly wrong . Instead it became a light-hearted yet constructive discussion which the OP seemed happy to be involved in . How can that be bad moderation ? I'd say both mods did well to turn it into a positive .
    As regards cliqueness (is that even a word?) my experience of Smashey is he doesnt buy into it - quite the opposite . I cant comment on g'em other than the above as I dont post where she mods . Doubtless there are boards where mods get things wrong and refuse to be corrected but there's a lot of mod-bashing going on lately and it seems more like bullying/bandwagon stuff - the more a mod replies on feedback the more derision they seem to get .

Maybe I'm the lucky boardsie who only gets what he deserves !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can see where the OP is coming from and others. I see the reason for caution but at the same time you have to consider the eventuallaty its not a troll. Sometimes people come across the wrong way without meaning it.

All thats needed here is to be a bit more friendly and relaxed when approaching without the piss taking/laughing until the OP feels more comfortable in his/her suroundings.

Temp locking was fine, I don't think hiding it would have done any good bar confused the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Thaedydal wrote: »
    IF you have an issue with a post then use the report post function.

Mods are just posters outside of the forums they mod and they are not perfect or paragons of virtue.

So why didn't you do that initially when you assumed the poster was a troll instead of ripping them to shreds with fatmammycat?

I thought it was very bitchy and definitely purposely making fun of the OP. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    So why didn't you do that initially when you assumed the poster was a troll instead of ripping them to shreds with fatmammycat?

Actually I reported the post and THEN replied to it, the fact I DID report the post meant both smashey and g'em got to it. Sure I poked fun but that is far from ripping someone to shreds, trust me if I had of done that I would have been banned from the fitness forum and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Lil Kitten wrote: »

I think it never went much further than a gentle ribbing. Good natured banter goes on all the time. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the moment and read malice into a situation that was never there. Remember nuances and tone of voice do not come across very well in print so something intended as tongue in cheek can easily be misinterpreted.

In my humble opinion it was innocent fun that got taken up wrong.

My 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

270915344_f59e4ecbfd.jpg

Advertisement