Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher Leaving Cert error

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

When i was in school about 5 years ago our leaving cert engilish teach made a huge blooper. He taught us plow and the stars for a full term and then half way through 6th year realised that the plough and the stars wasn't on the course that year!!! So we weren't able to answer questions on it. However we did cover another play in time, although it was very rushed.

To be honest i don't think it made a huge impact on me personally as i never applied myself to much in english it wasnt my thing.(as you can probably tell from my horrendous spelling and grammer!) Nor do i hold it against the teacher to much either because he was relatively young unexpereienced teacher.

Anyways nothing was ever said to our parents or any senior teachers about it. Which i think is fair enough but i do think this teacher should have faced a slight slap on wrists from somewhere. Basically i'd just like to know what other people with more knowledge in the area think about the situation. And also does anyone know what would have happened if my whole class had answered a question on this topic in the leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

yeah.. I had a teacher like that for my junior cert english... spent about 3 months doing anne frank, but then decided it was "too dense" we had read the bloody thing at that stage..... idiot.. she spent most of the junior cycle knocked up and then to our horror we were landed with her for honours leaving cert french.. *shudders* she was a disaster..... (lets just say french wasnt my strongest result, and we didnt exactly have a great teacher-student relationship either...!)

at the moment im doing arts, English and history to be precise. my career goal is to become a better teacher than her.... heres hoping!!

anyways i hear she is pregnant again, just wondering which poor classes results she is going to F**k up this time...??

end rant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mcerc wrote: »
    Nor do i hold it against the teacher to much either because he was relatively young unexpereienced teacher.

No excuse really.
    The syllabus is easily accessible and surely he wasn't the only English teacher in the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just last year my teacher did how many miles to Babylon when it wasn't on the course for 2009. I don't mind because we got our third comparative done with plenty of time to spare, but if we hadn't I would have kicked up such a fuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

"spent about 3 months doing anne frank, but then decided it was "too dense" we had read the bloody thing at that stage..... idiot.. she spent most of the junior cycle knocked up"

Are you sure it was Anne Frank that she said was "too dense"??? And the cheek of the woman to get pregnant during YOUR Junior Cert, surely you are more important than a mere teacher's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

mcerc wrote: »
    And also does anyone know what would have happened if my whole class had answered a question on this topic in the leaving cert?

This has happened in the past. One student tried to sue the DES, lost a year of her life over it and lost the case. (She would've been as well off repeating). The school was informed. If you come across a whole class that do this, you're obliged to inform the State Exams Commission.

In fairness, it was five years ago, it didn't affect you, he realised his mistake and rectified it, so what's the problem?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

After studying the Theme or Issue mode for the comparative my English teacher went backwards and started revising Macbeth with us "in time for the mocks" (1 week away).

When asked when we'd be doing one of the other modes, he seemed surprised and said he didn't need to do another one. What an incompetent plank. Hate that man. If we hadn't said anything, we would have had a 1 in 3 chance of not having a f*cking clue what we were doing for the actual June Comparative Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

cautioner wrote: »
    After studying the Theme or Issue mode for the comparative my English teacher went backwards and started revising Macbeth with us "in time for the mocks" (1 week away).

When asked when we'd be doing one of the other modes, he seemed surprised and said he didn't need to do another one. What an incompetent plank. Hate that man. If we hadn't said anything, we would have had a 1 in 3 chance of not having a f*cking clue what we were doing for the actual June Comparative Q.
    i guess i shouldnt complaing about how boring my English teacher is, it seems like such a petty complaint!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Some of my teachers aren't...too...good at the subjects they're teaching. Nothing as bad as teaching us the wrong course or anything though, thank God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

^Yeah, similar to your original post- Someone asked my teacher what "protagonist" meant and he said with that trademark self-satisfied smirk that it meant "your opposite".

"Sir, is it not like, the main character?"
    "No no, you're getting it mixed up with something else altogether there...", still with that smirk... wanker :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I can beat all of ye !!!!

So i had this french teacher, not naming names, or schools..or places

But in second year she got pregnant, left, we had this like male teacher as a replacement...all we did was right out the future tense of faire again and again for a week, he last 2 weeks

Then we had this female teacher, can't remember her name or what she was like, lasted a week

Then we had this actual french woman as a teacher, lovely person, completely insane, never thought us a thing, lasted a month

Then we had the vice principal's daughter, who wasn't qualified in anything teaching us french :\ she lasted 2 weeks and just spent the whole talking about how she was going on a trip around the world

But then thank god we got this REAL french teacher and she was pretty damn amazing =p

That was second year....but in SIXTH year :)

She dissapeared for a month and a half and we got this HORRENDOUS teacher who couldn't speak the language properly and spent all her time fixated on getting the class orderly.....

Then when the real teacher came back she left about a week before the orals :\ and we had this what seemed to be a good teacher, until it turned out she was a thundering bitch, and on the last night before our frenche exam i discovered that all the notes she gave us and claimed were hers, were actually copied from Rapid Revision - French except she put in spelling mistakes everywhere......She got fired anyway =p

But that english teacher was a freakin disgrace !! How stupid could someone be to spend all that time teaching a book that wasn't even on the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I had a great English teacher. Instilled a love of all things literary and encouraged curious minds to pursue interests. Lucky I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Martinog

"spent about 3 months doing anne frank, but then decided it was "too dense" we had read the bloody thing at that stage..... idiot.. she spent most of the junior cycle knocked up"

Are you sure it was Anne Frank that she said was "too dense"??? And the cheek of the woman to get pregnant during YOUR Junior Cert, surely you are more important than a mere teacher's family.

Silly women having kids why can't they just wait until they retire?:rolleyes:
    naw but it does disrupt classes alot as you usually get a terrible sub who doesn't care

Advertisement