Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

D reg

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Upon buying and trading motors over the years , may dealers have stated that D reg cars will sell better, also that if you were trading in a TS or CE reg car for example up the country e.g dublin that they find it harder to shift these "bogger" cars, anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

reg can almost if not be worse than marque in the dublin snob factor

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're living in Dublin, a CN or CE reg is a lot more conspicuous than a D or KE reg. My view on it is that if you have a county reg thats very far from where you live, then it's immediately noticable that you didn't buy the car new. there is also the perception that country cars get a harder life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

D reg cars may sell better up in Dublin, and for high end cars people generally like to have a D reg. I would consider a D reg a harder sale down here than an Lk reg etc for lower end cars because of the association with Hire drives, company cars etc. etc.

At the end of the day, and i think it's the case of everyone*, the very, very last thing that would worry someone is the one/two letters on the number plate.

*That everyone excludes reg snobs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Its more of a Dublin thing i think, id prefer a DL reg ideally but i wouldnt let the reg of a car put me off.

HJL wrote: »
    Its more of a Dublin thing i think, id prefer a DL reg ideally but i wouldnt let the reg of a car put me off.

What i find with DL regs is the increasing association with UK imports. Being so close to the border, such easy access to importing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

D reg all the way for me.

Might be weird, but I'd hate not having a Dublin reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What i find with DL regs is the increasing association with UK imports. Being so close to the border, such easy access to importing them.

There's a perception out there that Donegal cars get driven to within an inch of their lives.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There's a perception out there that Donegal cars get driven to within an inch of their lives.

Can't say i've heard that before lol...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

they find it harder to shift these "bogger" cars
    Whats a bogger car?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I'd never buy a D reg (And I'm from Dublin originally). Dublin traffic is all stop-start-stop-start, it wears out the clutch and gear box. I've always avoided buying them. A D reg is a total off-putter for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Pretty sure this has been flogged to death here before.

Dubs love D regs, everyone else hates D regs.

Mostly though people don't care all that much. That said I'd feel the need to festoon the car with Cork flags/hats/banners/headbands if I ever ended up with a D reg car.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I believe it does make a difference to resale, and that, in general, a D reg will sell better. I have noticed this when trading in a car, the D reg was certainly mentioned. Also, I've heard people saying different things about reg plates over the years, such as, avoid Kerry cars because the roads are so bad there etc. I'd imagine Donegal would be similar. Also, that Tipperary drivers (can't remember if TN or TS) are the worst, so best to avoid a car with a reg from there.
    From my own personal point of view, I'd say in general, far more crazy driving goes on around country roads, many of which are in a poor state, so I guess people would assume the D reg is a safer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Some people get the impression that a "lady owner" is a good thing too, but that's another arguement for another day.

My car is a KK , I live on OY, born bred and buttered in KE, and always in D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

bigkev49 wrote: »

And 1/3 of the country's population live in Dublin, so its a much bigger market. A no-brainer. Who wants a CN e-class merc in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i think i would be a reg-snob :)
    id either go for a D or a MH. be proud of your nationality (err countality?) !

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Went to a volkswagen dealer in Dublin and asked about trading in my KY reg golf. He politely told me that he would have difficulty shifting a car with that reg and declined doing a deal. thought it was quite funny at the time, I guess he was just being honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sk8board wrote: »
    And 1/3 of the country's population live in Dublin, so its a much bigger market. A no-brainer. Who wants a CN e-class merc in dublin?

well, if you have the money to fritter, or are incredibly vain, you'll buy the D. If you just want the car, you'll buy the CN.....and save money in the process.

...which would make you the smarter person...;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My current car is a TS reg and came with a full stamped service history and was well taken care of unlike some of local reg junk I was looking at the time.

So I tend to buy the car not the car's reg. Buying a car because it has the right reg is daft and no better than buying it because it has the right badge.

And as regards resale value, if the excuse of the reg could not be used to knock the trade-in price then something else will be, like the car's colour, etc. Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dublin traffic is all stop-start-stop-start, it wears out the clutch and gear box
    Thousands of us who live outside the city are rarely in stop-start traffic.

Many people in rural ireland use their car for 5 minute journeys and then leave it parked up for hours. Probably just as bad as stop-start driving.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Buying a car because it has the right reg is daft and no better than buying it because it has the right badge
    If one had the choice of buying a top end model with a D reg and a similar one with a LD reg, I'd make no apologies about the one I'd buy.

There is such a good choice out there now that it's not really an issue anyway. I'm sure Cork people can easily get what they want with a C plate.

(This has been done to death here anyway lads).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Bogger cars smell funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

I'd never buy a D reg (And I'm from Dublin originally). Dublin traffic is all stop-start-stop-start, it wears out the clutch and gear box. I've always avoided buying them. A D reg is a total off-putter for me.
    +1 thats what i would have thought, but to tbh the county on the reg would have no bearing on any car i was to purchase

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are so many people living 100 miles from Dublin but who drive up and sit in traffic every day that it makes no difference to me whats on the plate as long as the car itself is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I was trading my car in Galway (got the best price there) and the first thing the salesman asked me about my car was if it was a D reg. he was delighted it was. He told me certain cars will fetch more money if they are Dublin registered. A friend from Athlone has her car registered in a friends address in Dublin. The garage (in Athlone) said she would get more money for it when she goes to sell it.

So for whatever reason, seems the D reg cars fetch more money all over the country. Either that, or people just want other people to think they hail from the capital. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

actually that reminded me, i was lookig at a english import 05 celica in a dealer in liffey valley last year, and if bought would have been 1st registered owner in ireland, The dealer advised me seeing as i was from country that if i had mates in dublin to give their address as the address info on reg documents so as to get a D reg'd car!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

jonathan11 wrote: »
    Went to a volkswagen dealer in Dublin and asked about trading in my KY reg golf. He politely told me that he would have difficulty shifting a car with that reg and declined doing a deal. thought it was quite funny at the time, I guess he was just being honest..
    A friend of mine had the same trouble when trading his 99 fiesta in 2001 down in cork,took ages before a garage would take it,and thats only the next county over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

galwaytt wrote: »
    well, if you have the money to fritter, or are incredibly vain, you'll buy the D. If you just want the car, you'll buy the CN.....and save money in the process.

...which would make you the smarter person...;)

ah come on; just how much cheaper would the CN be as opposed to the D? Not a whole lot I would reckon. And even if the CN is cheaper, surely that proves the point.

You still need to flog the CN on the other side. At least the D gives you a fighting chance. There are lots of country buyers who register their merc's with a Dublin garage first, so they have a fighting chance when trying to sell it on.

I'm not a Dub btw, and drive a KK. If I'm going to spend big bucks on a car, I want to maximisae the chance of getting half-decent resale value, and your D merc gives you just that little bit more chance than the CN (apologies for picking on CN btw!).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So far I've had TN, KY, LK, WW, LH and SO reg vehicles and guess what ..they all drove perfectly fine. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

I think it's a snob factor, we sold a beautiful Alfa GTV about 2 years ago - all everybody was interested in was the reg, which was D, the car spent 1 year in Dublin, 2 years in Wexford, 2 years in Limerick and 3 in Tipp. Lots of bouncy roads there, not a rattle, bump or widget out of place on it and sold to first viewer :)

I have a DL reg car, which shows how brave I am !!!!

Also, country cars generally do bigger mileages, longer trips etc.. so I don't buy the 5 mins to the shop larky - old lady cars excepted ;)

Limerick-man is correct, D reg cars in the sticks are seen as company / rental cars - so have a stigma against them. Although if you're clever you can sometimes specify C or CE reg - depending on the lease company (Johnson & Perrott) was in my case, when I had such a luxury !!

Rule of thumb though if importing, get a D reg on it at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hammertime wrote:
    Bogger cars smell funny.

Dublin cars are full of heroine needles and pyjama wearing single mother skangers. :p Your shot!

Have to say I loved the rumours that the one and only Veyron in the country was registered outside of the Pale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Have to say I loved the rumours that the one and only Veyron in the country was registered outside of the Pale.

You shouldn't be surprised, plenty of money outside Dublin. I know someone with a ferrari in Kilkenny.

Advertisement