Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

D reg

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Have to say I loved the rumours that the one and only Veyron in the country was registered outside of the Pale.

And its true, as far as i know its a "G" reg and it was sold out of a Galway Dealer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Yup! Tis true, the Veyron was bought and sold in Gaillimh, got a G reg all the way.

G-g-g-g-galway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

lightening wrote: »
    You shouldn't be surprised, plenty of money outside Dublin. I know someone with a ferrari in Kilkenny.

I know that, just seemed delicious that the Veyron had to be D reg according to previous threads and the guy goes and registered it in Galway, brilliant.

Theres a TN reg DB9 somewhere in the "Heres What I Saw Today" thread, have seen a C reg R8 at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I know that, just seemed delicious that the Veyron had to be D reg according to previous threads and the guy goes and registered it in Galway, brilliant.

Whatever rocks your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Healyc wrote: »
    And its true, as far as i know its a "G" reg and it was sold out of a Galway Dealer!
    Money to be made in kitchens alright. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Many people in rural ireland use their car for 5 minute journeys and then leave it parked up for hours.

ok, help me out. What part of rural gets you anywhere in 5 minutes ?:)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yup! Tis true, the Veyron was bought and sold in Gaillimh, got a G reg all the way.

G-g-g-g-galway! :pac:

Er, not afaik. Car was never registered here...........was exported to his 'other' address, and wears ESP plates.

Would you cough up VRT on a Veyron, when you don't have to ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

sk8board wrote: »
    ah come on; just how much cheaper would the CN be as opposed to the D? Not a whole lot I would reckon. And even if the CN is cheaper, surely that proves the point.
    you'd be surprised. Don't you think 1k would be better in your pocket ?
    You still need to flog the CN on the other side. At least the D gives you a fighting chance. ...... If I'm going to spend big bucks on a car, I want to maximisae the chance of getting half-decent resale value, and your D merc gives you just that little bit more chance than the CN (apologies for picking on CN btw!).

ah, but that's actually a different issue. Some people buy cars for transport, and your example is fine for that.

Others, buy them for more........esoteric reasons. Not cars themselves, as we all need them, but their individual choice is guided by more esoteric motives. (otherwise, for example, no-one else would buy Alfa's, etc.). For those (and I'm one of those, btw), I don't buy on the premise of what I might get for it, a few years down the road. I buy it because I want/like it. The resale is...........whatever the resale is. Mathematically, I write all my cars down to zero value at end-of-life (in my ownership). It's only a fool's game, especially in the current climate, to even attempt to justify buying anything with an eye to resale values. You will never be anything but disappointed, if you do..........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

galwaytt wrote: »
    Mathematically, I write all my cars down to zero value at end-of-life (in my ownership). It's only a fool's game, especially in the current climate, to even attempt to justify buying anything with an eye to resale values. You will never be anything but disappointed, if you do..........
    I thought I was the only one who did that! :) I never consider resale value. I buy the car I want regardless of it's value when I'm finished with it. I'm automatically 'quids up' then. I'm usually pleasantly surprised when the salesman values my trade-in (although, of course, I try to look disappointed).

I'll admit though that I'm a D plate snob but it has nothing to do with resale. It's the first question I'll ask on the phone. If pushed, I'd take a C or WW. Don't ask me why - I don't really know myself.

For those of you who say that they don't care what plate is on the car as long as it's the right car for you, what about colour? Would you buy it in candy pink? Surely it would have the same performance, economy, features etc. as any other colour? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

For those of you who say that they don't care what plate is on the car as long as it's the right car for you, what about colour? Would you buy it in candy pink? Surely it would have the same performance, economy, features etc. as any other colour? :D

Yes, because driving a pink car over a blue one and not caring about it is the same thing as driving a C reg over a D reg:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Hammertime wrote: »
    Bogger cars smell funny.
    Maybe they should bring out 2 new reg numbers

BR reg
    for bogger (as ye dubs call us nice country folk)
    SB reg
    for snobs who turn their noses up at any reg thats not D reg.
    Anyone that buys a car for its reg has to be stuck up their own ass

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Anyone that buys a car for its reg has to be stuck up their own ass
    If given a choice between one reg over another, and, as has been stated, there is a wide choice of the model available, many will choose the one with their preferred reg.

No one buys a car for the actual reg! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was most displeased to find that Fiat had already registered my current car on a D plate (a few days before I even expressed an interest, admittedly...) as I'd far prefer NOT to have one - despite working in Dublin and living five minutes outside the county.

Just for personal reasons, I don't care about the resale value of my car as it'll be some time before I sell it; I just don't identify in any way as "a Dub" despite what my passport says - had the car not been registered it would have been run through my Donegal address.

Advertisement