Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity college Lgbt soc,sports teams

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey i just started college in trinity im an eighteen year old girl. iwas jst wondering what the lgbt soc is like? im only out to one friend and no one else.
    i would really like to joing the lgbt soc to meet other girls but my sister is in college wiht me and if she finds out so does the rest of my family and i am not ready for that!
    i was wondering if there are many lesbians on the hockey or football teams? (sorry im not stereotyping ...ironically they are the two sports i play...i know im a bit of a cliche!) cuz i was thinking of joining one of them out of desperation!!

or if anyone knows when the lgbt soc go out clubbing or anything? sorry for being so awkward its just...im kinda stuck in a corner here!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey i just started college in trinity im an eighteen year old girl. iwas jst wondering what the lgbt soc is like? im only out to one friend and no one else.
    i would really like to joing the lgbt soc to meet other girls but my sister is in college wiht me and if she finds out so does the rest of my family and i am not ready for that!
    i was wondering if there are many lesbians on the hockey or football teams? (sorry im not stereotyping ...ironically they are the two sports i play...i know im a bit of a cliche!) cuz i was thinking of joining one of them out of desperation!!

or if anyone knows when the lgbt soc go out clubbing or anything? sorry for being so awkward its just...im kinda stuck in a corner here!

thanks
    The people in Trinity's LGBT are the nicest, friendliest people you will meet. They usually go out on Wednesday to Pantibar for student night. Rainbow week is the one after rag week so there will be plenty of nights out then too. Your sister doesn't have to know if you're not comfortable with coming out yet. When you join you don't get a stamp on your forehead with 'lesbian' written on it LOL. Their common room is in house six in room 27 I think and there are usually people there in the afternoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hi, I'm in trinity and a member of the LGBT, if you PM me your email address I can ensure you're added to the mailing list alternatively you could email info 'at' TrinityLGBT.com and contact the committee directly. Its unlikely that your sister will discover that you're a member of the LGBT soc unless she herself joins.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks boston1 i emailed bostontrinity@ho... so u hav my email now!
    thats brill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm an ex-committee member for LGBT. Memberships are held in the strictest of confidence, and it would be considered a serious breach if such details were released.

If you email them (info @ trinitylgbt.com), then you can meet up with just one member on a one-on-one basis, talk for a bit, and wander up to the committee room where there will be other people to get chatting to. They organise weekly events which you would be welcome to go to. Such events usually result in hitting some club or other.

The one consideration I would make is if your sister is a member of the graduate students union, or the orchestral society, as these are the two societies next to the LGBT room, and you would be walking past their (possibly open) doors to access the LGBT room.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Looniatic

Hey!
    You shouldnt worry about joining the lgbt soc or not! If you want to then just do it! Sure who cares if your sister finds out! Just say you joint it for a laugh! Or one of your new college friends wanted to join, so you joined it with her/him. I know alot of people who are in LGBT who are straight, but have lots of lgbt friends. Its just like another way of meeting new people!
    You're probably feeling paranoid because this is all so new to you, but really, alot more people than you think are in the same position as you. But like i said, do what you want to do, dont let what other people MIGHT think affect you. It's college! We're open to everything, anyone and new experiences!! :)
    So i say get out there and enjoy yourself!
    Hope that helps! :)

• Advertisement

She cares what her sister thinks. Telling her to lie about why she joined or not to care is counter productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Looniatic

I do wonder who you are....Boston.

Anywho, my bad. I completely forgot about the main point.

Ask around the soc room, someone will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Hey,

I used to be in Trinity (and now in UCD lol) but the LGBT there is really good and they're very nice. Like when I was there I had only just come out and found it great meeting other LGBT people and it's done in confidence and they always do events every week and there are trips to go on and stuff. There are many other LGBT groups in the Outhouse located on the top of Capel Street also like the Labybirds and Ladies Night which are both aimed at lesbian and bisexual females. If you're interested here's a link. http://www.outhouse.ie/

Take care ;)

Advertisement