Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

I see the word troll being used a bit around Boards and I'm just wondering what it means. I have a fair idea but not a full understanding.

I browse the forum a good bit and post where something might interest me.
    Does that make me a troll?

Sorry if its a stupid question but I'm still trying to understand a good bit of the lingo that's used.

Thanks

Damo
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    O_o cheeky. Banned.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

try spelling the word question correctly and you might get some respect

otherwise

go blow yourself

Lol I guess i have just got my definition!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Absolutely perfect example!

otherwise

go blow yourself
    Are you an expert in weather, climate etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

otherwise

go blow yourself
    Meh, if he could do that he wouldn't need respect.

He'd be able to feast off the jealousy ... :pac:
    Damo9090 wrote: »
    Lol I guess i have just got my definition!

:D

+100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

a troll is someone who posts an opinion that other people disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

a troll is someone who posts an opinion that other people disagree with.
    OP, here's another good example of a troll post.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, here's another good example of a troll post.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

:rolleyes:

OP, here's another good example of a troll.

TBH it might be a good idea to lock this thread before every troll muppet finds it because I'm getting a feeling that we will have many more troll demonstrations!

Stop ganging up on me.

Damo9090 - you started the thread; a thread founded on ignorance. Now you want it locked because it hasn't turned out the way you wanted.

Life doesn't work that way.

Thanks for the life coaching Brian.

The thread has served its purpose. That's why i suggest it should be locked!

Brian's post makes absolutely no sense - I think you can add that to your list of examples, Damo. :)

Brian's post makes absolutely no sense - I think you can add that to your list of examples, Damo. :)

The list is growing fairly quickly. I think i will be an expert troll detector in another few posts!

Damo9090 wrote: »
    I think i will be an expert troll detector in another few posts!
    Well Boards.ie has a recruitment drive going on at the moment - and I hear on the grapevine that that's exactly the latest position it's hiring for. Get cracking on the CV!

Stop ganging up on me.

Damo9090 - you started the thread; a thread founded on ignorance. Now you want it locked because it hasn't turned out the way you wanted.

Life doesn't work that way.

Well the first sentence is in response to people labelling my posts as those of a troll when clearly they are not.

The thread is founded on ignorance because Damo9090 did not know what a troll was and did not bother to do his own research - wikipedia has tons of material on trolls, falseflags, sockpuppets etc.

Then he started complaining that it would attract trolls - i.e didn't turn out the way he wanted it.

The last sentence basically means that life doesn't always work out in your favour.

Well Boards.ie has a recruitment drive going on at the moment - and I hear on the grapevine that that's exactly the latest position it's hiring for. Get cracking on the CV!

If only! I would love to be paid to post on Boards all day! :)

• Advertisement

Then he started complaining that it would attract trolls - i.e didn't turn out the way he wanted it.

The last sentence basically means that life doesn't always work out in your favour.

Actualy it worked very well for me. Helpful people posted some links and some foolish people posted examples for me.

So how did it not work out for me?? :confused:

Well the first sentence is in response to people labelling my posts as those of a troll when clearly they are not.
    "Clearly"? You gave a definition of a troll: "someone who posts an opinion that others disagree with". Now that to me looks like a thinly veiled dig at moderators for banning people for trolling and the offenders feeling they were only banned because the moderators had a difference of opinion to them - doesn't happen. It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it - i.e. no personal abuse, no racist/homophobic generalisations.
    The thread is founded on ignorance because Damo9090 did not know what a troll was and did not bother to do his own research - wikipedia has tons of material on trolls, falseflags, sockpuppets etc.
    Trolling is also trying to find something to argue about - for the sake of arguing. Why would you give a **** about the above? Yeah he could use those other internet resources, but Boards.ie is also an internet resource, and it's more personable.
    LOL - please don't insult my and others' intelligence by saying you're not trolling. That sentence is, again, an example of nit-picking, twisting things in order to start an argument. How the hell did it not turn out the way he wanted to? He asked his questions, got his answers, then made the point there was no need to continue the thread seeing as his curiosity was satisfied... and jokingly added it was attracting trolls.
    Actually I shouldn't be discussing it with you as that's what you're looking for.
    LOL - ok, I really should stop feeding...

Advertisement