Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names of Limerick Companies supplying Dell and who may be at risk

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Can anyone name companies based in or around Limerick, or slightly further afield who are supplying Dell Limerick and who, as a result of the redundancies are now most probably going to be in trouble financially and may end up making staff redundant also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Can anyone name companies based in or around Limerick, or slightly further afield who are supplying Dell Limerick and who, as a result of the redundancies are now most probably going to be in trouble financially and may end up making staff redundant also?

Go get your story somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You're asking for a lot of names there unfortunately. Some of the big ones though include Banta, RR Donnelly, Sercom, Iretex, and of course an unknown amount of local business which will suffer. Something like this damages the wider economy, so its too early yet to know how bad the ripple effect will be. One thing is for certain, 2009 is going to be a very gloomy year for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Itsdacraic wrote: »

We'll have less of that. Read the charter in relation to requests for help/information.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Interlink - Now DPD
    Noonans Cleaners
    Sodexho Catering
    Group 4 Security
    Martins Coachs
    EMS Facility Services
    Banta Global Turnkey
    PR Donnelly
    Sercom Solutions
    Iretex Packaging

who will be directly affected. Feel free to take this list and add to it in your replies.

Those indirectly(or directly) affected are

MANY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 logical

I work for Noonans in Dell and my only hope is that I get a good reference to transfer to another county that has not been hit yet. At least Noonans has a lot of other contracts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

May seem petty in the overall scheme of things but two of my building projects have been cancelled as a result of layoffs.
    One was a house extension.
    The other a shop and apartment building.
    Both clients worked for Dell.

I expect many others throughout region will have similar knock on effects.

Berty wrote: »
    Interlink - Now DPD
    Noonans Cleaners
    Sodexho Catering
    Group 4 Security
    Martins Coachs
    EMS Facility Services
    Banta Global Turnkey
    PR Donnelly
    Sercom Solutions
    Iretex Packaging

who will be directly affected. Feel free to take this list and add to it in your replies.

Those indirectly(or directly) affected are

MANY

Noonans, sodexho group 4 and martins will survive as Dell is not their only contract.

Ire Tex has been gone since march 2007 when it went into liquidation. not sure who took over their contracts. think it was a company called Marian Foam

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Noonans, sodexho group 4 and martins will survive as Dell is not their only contract.

They may survive alright but not before letting alot of staff go who were specifically hired to service Dell.

We'll have less of that. Read the charter in relation to requests for help/information.

Ya no probs. I just find it odd thwe type of information requested by a 1st time poster. Seems to me like a lazy journo who wants us to write the story for them.

You could probably add that aeroboard factory out in foynes to that list too.

Ya no probs. I just find it odd thwe type of information requested by a 1st time poster. Seems to me like a lazy journo who wants us to write the story for them.

You could probably add that aeroboard factory out in foynes to that list too.

You mean the Aeroboard facility in Askeaton? They won't be out of business because of Dell, there are plenty more contracts to keep them afloat.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    You mean the Aeroboard facility in Askeaton? They won't be out of business because of Dell, there are plenty more contracts to keep them afloat.

Sorry I meant Askeaton. A serious amount of there business comes from Dell, I'd def say in excess of 50%, I heard this from a fella working there.

Sorry I meant Askeaton. A serious amount of there business comes from Dell, I'd def say in excess of 50%, I heard this from a fella working there.

Dell didn't get their claws into Aeroboard enough to sink it. It was only around 5 years ago they got the contract to supply Dell, and were doing quite well before it so I'm sure they will weather this storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Limerick.mcgrat

Not a journo. Just someone looking to help. Can't help if I don't know who needs it.

Not a journo. Just someone looking to help. Can't help if I don't know who needs it.

What kind of help?

What kind of help?

Help that I am able to provide. unfortuntaly only something that provides short term help.

What type of short term help would people affected need? Such help would be private to the person receiving it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Help that I am able to provide. unfortuntaly only something that provides short term help.

What type of short term help would people affected need? Such help would be private to the person receiving it anyway.

I may or may not lose my job as a result of Dells closeure and as such I may be in need of some short term help. Can you furnish details?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i used to make those little silver dell badges that they stick on the front of the laptops.

nobody else is gonna buy them now :(

concussion wrote: »
    I may or may not lose my job as a result of Dells closeure and as such I may be in need of some short term help. Can you furnish details?

Not yet.

why not?!? seriously, whats with the vagueness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Not yet.

Seriously though, I may have to leave the country as a result. I would like to see what my options are, even in the short term as I would have to leave my young children behind (they're already established in school, I don't want to have to disrupt them)

• Advertisement

Seriously though, I may have to leave the country as a result. I would like to see what my options are, even in the short term as I would have to leave my young children behind (they're already established in school, I don't want to have to disrupt them)

I dont think anybody should try to enlist the help of a noobie on the internet. If this vaugeness is evident then it may continue. Best avoided possibly.

zuroph wrote: »
    why not?!? seriously, whats with the vagueness?

When one is too open about one's plans someone else can ruin them very quickly. It's all about the depth of the pocket and we see how deep Dell's are this week the way they can just up sticks like that. People do not have such deep pockets so plans should be kept quiet until being ready to roll.

Being honest concussion your not the only one. I know someone working in 8 week stints in contintal Europe already who is a builder (not developer and there is a difference) with a young child. There are professionals (accountants/solicitors etc) out of work also you know so don't think your the only one. Many of them ordinary employees like you and me.
    I dont think anybody should try to enlist the help of a noobie on the internet. If this vaugeness is evident then it may continue. Best avoided possibly.

Berty,

What's a noobie? And whatever it is (sounds like an insult) I am not one. I am just looking for info before I try to put plans to help into action. Information is power as they say and without it one cannot plan so hold onto your seat.

sounds like a load of balls to me. prove me wrong.

Berty,

What's a noobie? And whatever it is (sounds like an insult) I am not one. I am just looking for info before I try to put plans to help into action. Information is power as they say and without it one cannot plan so hold onto your seat.

Its certainly not an insult as knowledge is power you should enlist the power of the Google knowledge centre to find out what it means.

Im sceptical of you because I believe you are another poster who was told to stop posting in a similar thread.

Its certainly not an insult as knowledge is power you should enlist the power of the Google knowledge centre to find out what it means.

Im sceptical of you because I believe you are another poster who was told to stop posting in a similar thread.

Be sceptical all you like. I have never used Boards.ie before believe what you like. I am genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Ire Tex has been gone since march 2007 when it went into liquidation. not sure who took over their contracts. think it was a company called Marian Foam

Connaught Packaging in Raheen Ind.Estate took over from Ire-Tex.

I'm not comfortable with someone "offering help" over the internet and being so vague about it.

Therefore this thread is now locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement