Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german oral exam

• 09-01-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

i have trouble remembering the german oral stuff (picture sequences and role plays) so i was wondering if anyone has any techniques that would help me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 madnesspersues

just learn them! lol put the time in and you'll be rewarded! learn small sentences that are easy to remember and always use the cards(roleplays and pictures) to help you. most of the language needed for the roleplays is on the card all you need to do is change the language around eg. Sie habt ihre pass verloren == i habe meine Pass verloren. and so on so forth look at the card;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mrs.vandoorn

Wir mu(umnaut)ssen eine Lo(umnaut)sung finden !

Wir mussen eine Losung finden!

means "we must find a solution"

works for loads of things in the oral exam roleplays,pic sequences, talkin bout drugs,social problems and alcohol etc.

lifesaver 4 my whole class last june :D
    got myself a b1 in higher level after failin my mocks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You don't have to have them completely learned off by heart, you'll be able to look at the card during the exam so keywords on it and your instructions should be able to prompt you if you get a bit of a blank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Priscilla Duck

For the picture sequences, try to memorise some of the vocab that is clearly visible in each picture - for example, in "Vorsicht beim Rauchen!" you should be able to memorise Sommerjob, Bauern, Kuh, Scheune (barn), Pause, abwerfen (throw away), Feuerloescher (fire extinguisher) etc. Test yourself each night that you can name all the different objects and actions in each picture. Then, just say what you see. If you can put together sentences and make a decent story fluently, the examiner will go easy on you over grammar.

The role plays are more difficult. Get a partner - someone with at least as good German as you, and practice the role play as often as possible. You cannot learn this on your own - you have to be able to interact with someone and react to the questions that they ask you, not the ones you think they have asked. Get a few different people in your class to take 10 mins of lunch break and practise this - the role play shouldnt take any longer than 5 mins. Have as many different versions of the possible questions prepared so that you dont fall into the trap of not being able to answer because the examiner doesnt ask tha specific form of the question that you have learned. Remember, the examiner is expecting to have a real conversation, not have you recite a set format of questions by rote.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Wir mu(umnaut)ssen eine Lo(umnaut)sung finden !
    Instead of (umlaut)ing it, you can just use e :P Like Loesung. Same diff.

And I find that the picture sequences are alright to learn off since they can't really interrupt you, but if you're struggling with the role plays just learn verbs and vocab instead of whole sentences and string it together depending on what they ask you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I am awful at german, I failed at christmas, but I got B2 in my pre oral just by being extremely comfortable at using all the vocab on the roleplay sheets thats given to you, like having the half scentences written down trigger a phrase scentence in your mind. I get extremely nervous doing things like orals so I found that having all the vocab there as triggers helped me from blanking. Same with the bildergeschichtungen. Whenever you practice reciting them ALWAYS be looking intently at the sheet and it helps you along. I'm aware its pretty obvious advice but it worked wonders for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Have you tried learning them in a different way rather than just re-writing or rota-learning? I know people who record their versions for the roleplay/pic sequence on their phones or even onto cds and onto their ipods. Then they listen to them on the bus and stuff and they can remember them better. This might help... its also really good for Shakepear quotes and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

the role plays are evil, i have tryed to do the who ans on the card thing....not a hope and my mam was like why not see if theres any german rolepays u can download and listen to, i cant find any, and i dont have any recording stuff to put onto my ipod:(

has anyone found any??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 byrne-himself

i like the roleplays and picture stories auf deutsch, just make your own notes and as i have been told many times, ''its not ick its i-ch'' same as some irish pronounciations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im wondering what is the percentage of da exam is it 20% or 25%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Im wondering what is the percentage of da exam is it 20% or 25%?

20% and 25% for listening test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'm pretty crap at the written german but manage to pick up marks in the oral.

Just learn off the stuff. Its hard, it takes a long time but just learn em all off.

Thankies cos i got my mock oral today...and it my 18th today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thankies cos i got my mock oral today...and it my 18th today

Happy birthday!

Thanks, Back from the oral and im am so SURPRISED!

My general convo went grand...My speech(project) was good at the start but then i just went blank! But i manage to get some stuff out. My roleplay went really well and i didnt study them only had a quick look over it and was really happy with that i got arbeit in irland.

I got 83 overall so i guess thats like 15%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I got 83 overall so i guess thats like 15%

They gave you your result after it, we didn't get our result after ours.

unknown13 wrote: »
    They gave you your result after it, we didn't get our result after ours.
    Yea cos it was the mock

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pirate_queen16

Could anyone tell me where I can find the picture sequence and role play online for leaving cert 2014 please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could anyone tell me where I can find the picture sequence and role play online for leaving cert 2014 please

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ox
    Scroll down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cornelsen1

Hi,

If you could not find the role plays, send me a short message. I have them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement