Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with a shot

• 09-01-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I know this is not the digital dark room but I am hoping as I need this soon and it is special circumstances that an exception might be made.

My sister in laws mother passed away only a few weeks ago and just before she died they had their picture taken together on a mobile phone. Now my sister in law would love to frame this picture, can anyone tell me recommendations of how to improve it. I have scaled it up a few times by resizing by 10%. I have used curves to darken it as it is blown out but I am not sure if it is a great improvement. If anyone thinks they can offer some recommendation or even possibly do a better job than me I would be eternally grateful. I will attach the original.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

how big ya printing? prob doesnt need enlarging, might cause more damage than good. bw conversion and some noise reduction...maybe slight diffuse glow to even out the edges???

just off the noggin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd like to print 8 x 10 although that is a bit optimistic so 6x4 at least

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

humm 8x10 could well be alot to ask for, tho bw does give ya a bit more to play round with i thinks, printing isnt something i know a whole lot about tho

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

May work better as a B&W & try to reduce the background clutter.

I may give it a go after the weekend if I gat a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

What about getting a digital photoframe they only need 72 dpi. I'll also have a go this weekend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Digital photo frame and b & w are both really good ideas.. Try b & w first to see how it converts.. Also, ststc should be able to give you a better idea on printing if you give him a pm..

shepthedog wrote: »
    Digital photo frame and b & w are both really good ideas.. Try b & w first to see how it converts.. Also, ststc should be able to give you a better idea on printing if you give him a pm..

My resizing is actually one of the first things ststc ever said to me about printing. I have tried black and white and I agree it does look better, do you guys think this is as good as it is going to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not sure how it's done but can't bokeh be added using photoshop?

Could help remove the clutter from the background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Hope you don't mind but I think it looks much better with a darkened background

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

first of all
    sorry for yer loss
    i cant attempt anything tonight - i'm pished

but maybe tomorrow if i amy, i'll take a look

thanks
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

Hope you don't mind me having a go.

I removed some noise and blurred the background a bit.

I've also uploaded a blown up 300 DPI version at 3210 x 2400 which will crop to a 10x8 for print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Me__mammy.jpg

Softened with gaussian blur then slightly sharpened. Removed some of the pink hue and lightened.

Portrait takes away the emphasis from the kitcken stuff in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

70359.jpg

Hi here is my effort

Thanks guys for the help.

I'm placing a print order so I will download those and send them all for print then let her choose which is best.

You are very good for helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Here are my two attempts for you.

Advertisement