Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking router to work with fixed wireless BB

Options
  • 09-01-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just found out that my brother has signed up to broadband with a small Wireless provider down the country. I have'nt seen the setup yet but from what I understand this is whats in place...

Some sort of radio receiver on his roof, then it sounds like an ethernet cable run straight from that into his living room. Ethernet cable has some sort of device on it where it enters the room that needs to be plugged in so I'm assuming thats power over ethernet for the Radio unit on the roof.

So then just a RJ45 plug on the end of this cable to plug into his laptop.

Now he's hoping to be able to use the broadband with another PC and in other rooms so I'm thinking it's just a wireless access point he needs?

If thats correct is there any particular one you guys would recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any what they call 'cable' wireless router should do that is a router without a modem for dsl.

Linksys wrt54gl would be the standard recommendation on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Thanks dub!

Advertisement