Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naval Reserve

• 09-01-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi, I'm interested in joining the Naval Reserve but have a few questions:

1.How strict is the eyesight medical? I have bad sight in one eye. Will this exclude me?

2. Im a bit confused about how it actually works. What is done on a weekly basis? Rathmines is closest to me and I see the Naval reserve have a HQ there. Would I go there on a weekly basis and train with people in the Army reserve or is it a totally separate thing?

3. What would a typical weekly session actually entail?

4.When and where does the sea survival/fire fighting and boat training take place?

5. I see fully trained NSR personnel can go to sea with the Naval service. What is involved in becoming fully trained and how numerous are the opportunities to go to sea? Is it a thing where you have to be picked/lucky or can you choose when to do it?

6.Would the Naval reserve and Army reserve attract different types of people or would it be a pretty similar demographic?

Loads of questions there I know but Id appreciate any bits of info people could give. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

1.How strict is the eyesight medical? I have bad sight in one eye. Will this exclude me?

You may have to wear an eye patch. Like so.

rustic_pirate.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Get your eyesight checked out now because they are very strict on it in the military in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

This has been done loads of times, search the forum. I'm a member in Rathmines and we're not parading untill the first Tuesday in Feb if you want to come up then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Yes military medical is very strict regarding eye conditions so best to get it checked out before you set foot on the path, if you do get in ive heard its a rewarding experience to say the least.

By the by, thats some serious layoff for you sluggies!!! we're back ground pounding this week.

Seriously though, im a grunt but its said that the "ooh sailor" boys get far more man-ly ;) hours and more serious integration than any other reserve unit - (maybe bar Air Defence Regiment's) and a lot of time at sea with active pdf units.

Wonder when will they let a reservist officer take command of a ship though?

What do you call 80 sailors setting off to sea?
    40 Couples :) lol

sorry lads, couldnt help it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Company Sgt

stay away from navy sailors r all queers !!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Morphéus wrote: »
    Yes military medical is very strict regarding eye conditions so best to get it checked out before you set foot on the path, if you do get in ive heard its a rewarding experience to say the least.
    !

Ah, I know I would definitely not get into the PDF with my eyesight but I thought the reserve might be more lenient (or just not care;).

Ah well, thanks anyway folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Hey,

little bump on this thread but couldnt find it anywhere else.....

How strict are they on the eyesight in the medical, i am short sighted, have to wear glasses driving but wouldnt wear them mostly all the same

How tough are they or do they have any bother with short sightedness? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 labratd22

I was in the NSR for 6 years and had bad enough eyesight( glasses the whole time) ,this was a while ago so might have changed since I was in.

Advertisement