Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

discounts now?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭

A friend was looking for a new car and I said dont bother "I've heard" second hand values are collapsing anyway they go around a few garages and werent seeing much in the way of discounts.
    Do you have to go to auctions? is it just the high end cars? are people buying second hand cars insead of new ones so supporting the prices?

What is anyones experience , I 've told her to hang on as prices have to come down if new cars are piling up at the docks.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Reason they are not giving her a discount is she is trading something in and they can't shift there current stock of 2nd hand cars, if she arrived with cash she would get a nice discount I would imagine. Cars at the docks will no go down in value just because they are unsold, they can easily be put on the return boat to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Discounts are there as dealers can't shift second hand stocks. They need to shift this stock in order to be able to trade new vehicles. But while most dealers are now prepared to take losses on used vehicles, they won't give them away either as they will be doing their best to limit losses. You'll get a deal if you haggle, but you won't get thousands of the listed price - the ticketed price has probably been discounted several times at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

crosstownk wrote: »
    Discounts are there as dealers can't shift second hand stocks. They need to shift this stock in order to be able to trade new vehicles. But while most dealers are now prepared to take losses on used vehicles, they won't give them away either as they will be doing their best to limit losses. You'll get a deal if you haggle, but you won't get thousands of the listed price - the ticketed price has probably been discounted several times at this stage.

yup id agree plenty of cars have already been dropped in price to get rid of them (+second hand stock) although as a lot of people here will say its better to sell the current car privately then use cash to get discounts at the dealers,i wouldnt touch a new car even if i had the money,what about a year old or so it would literally save thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Is there any chance that Irish dealers will end up exporting their excess stock, like the way German dealers offload their stock in Poland? Can't see how they're going to shift it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is there any chance that Irish dealers will end up exporting their excess stock, like the way German dealers offload their stock in Poland? Can't see how they're going to shift it otherwise.

I doubt it. Just look at the sterling exchange rate at the moment. It's falling (approx 89.5p=€1) but importing from a British perspective is too damn expensive. Exporting to Europe is not really a runner as our cars were heavily weighted when we initially imported them due to VRT. I'd say we're stuck with our fleet of used vehicles. Dealers & owners will have to absorb it. A marginal few may get exported but that's about the height of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Right hand drive limits options & exchange rate would not make it attractive to UK customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

McSpud wrote: »
    Right hand drive limits options & exchange rate would not make it attractive to UK customers.

Good point - hadn't thought of the RHD issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

There is a case in Belguim where an exporter has won the right to get VRT refund on cars exported out of the country. There is an ongoing case in Europe in regards to Irish exports.

Can you imagine the ramifications if this succeeds.

I will be buying every 06 S Class because the VRT clowns would have to reimburse €30k when you export an S.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There is a case in Belguim where an exporter has won the right to get VRT refund on cars exported out of the country. There is an ongoing case in Europe in regards to Irish exports.

Can you imagine the ramifications if this succeeds.

I will be buying every 06 S Class because the VRT clowns would have to reimburse €30k when you export an S.
    It'd be pro rata, i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It has happened in the past that irish cars have been shipped cars off to malta. I'm not sure what kind of prices cars fetch over there now but they're in the euro since last year and there'd always be a better deal to be done by shipping cars there from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not to mention that Irish cars are less well equipped than the equivalent model in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

Unlikely that Irish cars will be exported to the UK -VOSA regulations state that the KMH speedo on any vehicle imported into the UK is changed to MPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

tweaf wrote: »
    Unlikely that Irish cars will be exported to the UK -VOSA regulations state that the KMH speedo on any vehicle imported into the UK is changed to MPH.

But they are mostly Km/h primary with secondary Mph or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tweaf

On vehicles supplied in Ireland since 05 it's KMH only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

tweaf wrote: »

I can see this being brought in over here by the dept of transport to stem the flow of imported cars coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

silverharp wrote: »
    A friend was looking for a new car and I said dont bother "I've heard" second hand values are collapsing anyway they go around a few garages and werent seeing much in the way of discounts.
    Do you have to go to auctions? is it just the high end cars? are people buying second hand cars insead of new ones so supporting the prices?

What is anyones experience , I 've told her to hang on as prices have to come down if new cars are piling up at the docks.

their not actually...

its quite quiet over their, only containers comming in... all the cars have gone to their new home....

though theres always some sitting up

and no , if you need a bargin, you've a better chance of winning the lotto, even in this depression

Advertisement