Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

studying abroad / homesick/ transfer

Options
  • 09-01-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have been away studying primary teaching for almost two years now only across the water in wales.I wish I genuinley felt that way about it. To cut a long story short Im .....quite homesick I would have trained at home only I fell short of the pointss required.
    I found it difficult when I first came and even after making some great friends, taking up other interests and looking after myself in general. I am frankly sick an physically tired of it. I gave it a chance ,embraced the experience because I want to be positive about it.
    I feel I given it a shot and If there was a way of transfering home optional then I think I would take it . I am doing very well in my course. I am happy to get on and make the most of the rest of the year. I havn't had any bad experiences here and there is nothing tremendous going on at home. I talk myself round every evening with this but I wake up the next morning with a cloud over me and talk myself round again.

I have to either get on with it or do something to change it.
    So recommended to me by a respected ex principle and director on the board, I did. During the summer I mailed a course director in an irish training college to see if I could transfer into 2nd year of the course at home. They had never come across this query before and were keen to look into it. I have honours irish and a year of my course completed with above average results. It was possible to catch up on the amount of gaelacht weeks. Between a few other people and myself research was looking positive untill the final answer came back. It would be possible to transfer, if I obtained the cao points for that the year of entry for that year group as that would be fair to other students who applied in that year.I was greatful for the support in looking into my case but gutted.

However I am now 23 and so considered a mature student. I believe mature students are exempt from the fickle points system. I will have two years behind me and 10 weeks teaching practise. I really don't want to come across annoyingly persistentafter their help but I feel that their numbers in the year group may have dropped as there are always people who decide teaching is not for them. Im not taking anyone's place who could potentially get on the course just replacing someone. I've made the inniative to train elsewhere in the meantime if the stupid points system is getting in the way when it isn't relative, its a shame and I feel quite strongly about that.
    Do I have a case or am I going to get a 2nd kick in the teeth by setting myself up to ask again?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi ak6879.
    Firstly, Welcome to boards.ie, I hope you enjoy the site!

I'm sorry to hear about your plight and I can understand your frustration.. I wish I could help but I don't really know how to answer your question.
    I can however point you in the direction of the 'edu' section here where I'm sure users will have a lot more info on the specifics of what you are asking.
    Link here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    Just pick the forum you think is most relevant and post your question there.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.:)

Advertisement