Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hifi with DAB

• 09-01-2009 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hello...

Is it worth getting a hifi system with DAB built in??

I mean will digital radio be available across ireland in the foreseeable future? and will we be able to recieve UK station??

Thx P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I love(d) listening to my dab radio before phantom got removed.

IMO, I use it for Lyric now, otherwise I listened to phantom. Digital makes no difference to Radio1 content IMO.

DAB does not have UK radio, for obvious reasons, but if you want to inform yourself, try the broadcasting section of boards or digitalradio.ie.

If you have UPC you get most of the english radio stations on that in Digital quality (as well as the irish ones) which is how I listen now through my hifi. Sky might do this too, I just don't know for sure.

DAB will kick back off at some point, the last couple of years was a trial which has now ended.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

nereid wrote: »
    I love(d) listening to my dab radio before phantom got removed.

IMO, I use it for Lyric now, otherwise I listened to phantom. Digital makes no difference to Radio1 content IMO.

DAB does not have UK radio, for obvious reasons, but if you want to inform yourself, try the broadcasting section of boards or digitalradio.ie.

If you have UPC you get most of the english radio stations on that in Digital quality (as well as the irish ones) which is how I listen now through my hifi. Sky might do this too, I just don't know for sure.

DAB will kick back off at some point, the last couple of years was a trial which has now ended.

L.

An analogue fm signal will always be of higher quality than a digital signal unless the bit rate is increased of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The DAB stations in Ireland broadcast at a 128k bit rate. Sounds ok on a kitchen radio but not sure if it would scale up to a high end audio system. Plus it only has the RTE stations on it at the moment.

Advertisement