Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics exibitioned in Dublin

Options
  • 09-01-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Ever been to a ****ty art exhibition were the only people that show up are -as the cliche goes- the artist's students and neighbours? Well, i was at one yesterday, and should have stayed home with the telly, a bit disappointing.

Anyway, more interesting was the fact that the gallery lists artist, paper rad, of flashy neon homepage fame and abstract comic creators, as associated. Was very surprised to even see a picturebox book on the shelves, first time i've ever had one of their books in my hand which had i had any money i would have immediately bought. Anyone know what the story is, have they exhibited gallery comics before, there appears to have been a show in 2006, some photo's from the blog. Far as i can tell the gallery is a front for "architectural" furniture.

This and a very random exihibition by Citroen of BD artists drawing cars (i've got the catologue somewhere) in the eighties are as far as i know the only exibit of comics in ireland. There must have been more, right?

Edit: eh anyone know how to correct the thread title, that ****s embarrasing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

For those who don't want to navigate the home page this is the comic page (caution flashy neon), and this is one of the better comics.

These are the artist that cartoonists like DAsh Shaw and Chris Ware strip mine for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

magwea wrote: »
    For those who don't want to navigate the home page this is the comic page (caution flashy neon), and this is one of the better comics.

I'm finding it really hard to look at any of webpages due to the flashing and neon, its really painful in some places.
    magwea wrote: »
    These are the artist that cartoonists like DAsh Shaw and Chris Ware strip mine for ideas.

I'm not sure what you mean by that - are saying that Dash and Chris Ware steal comic ideas from these kind of artists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

ztoical wrote: »
    I'm finding it really hard to look at any of webpages due to the flashing and neon, its really painful in some places.

Yeah, suppose that's the charm of paper rad.
    ztoical wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by that - are saying that Dash and Chris Ware steal comic ideas from these kind of artists?

Well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, lets say they are mining from the same seam as Paper Rad who themselves steal everything from forgotten popular culture and antiquated technology.

Where guys like Michel Allred are influenced by the surface style of PopArt Paper Rad make fundamentally PopArt art, or dogma 98 or whatever they call it. Still, Paper Rad are very derivative. Plenty of what i've seen is uninteresting, but when its good its stratospheric. The comics i like, the installations are not my sort of thing.

Advertisement