Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business

Options
  • 09-01-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

How are people finding it? How do you study it? Has anybody got any pre papers I'd like to get as much practice as I can. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm doing it outside of school and I would describe Business as 'Tricky'. While there is nothing I can't understand in the book, the way the questions are phrased seems like a deliberate attempt to trick the student at times. There is a hell of a lot to learn also.

But very simple as I said to understand so revision should be grand.

I'm going to start learning all of the legislation out at the weekend.
    And mnemonics are very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Business! Where to start?! It's an easy subject but, in my opinion, it's very long and tedious to study for. I got a b2 in my xmas exam so am coping well with it but if I could drop it for something more interesting...I would.

What my teacher tells us to do is to take questions from the papers and write the headings. If you don't know the headings. Then that is what you need to study.

Hope that's some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

ok..

business is the only subject that i actually like
    what i am gonna to do is

know our ABQ units very well..that's like unit 1,2,3 in my book ( business today)know them well..

i think i am gonna avoid the EU Question at all cost -_-

i would go over the a/cs stuff
    like if they do come up they would be easy marks..

i am gonna go over the laws and these goverment agencies just right before the mocks, coz i wouldnt remember them otherwise

hope this helps

djcervi wrote: »
    Business! Where to start?! It's an easy subject but, in my opinion, it's very long and tedious to study for. I got a b2 in my xmas exam so am coping well with it but if I could drop it for something more interesting...I would.
    Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Ughhhhh, I hate business! It used to be one of my favourite subjects at JC, and the LC has butchered it. There's just waaaay too much stuff to learn, and the questions are awkward. Sometimes it seems that you could know every single thing possible from the book, give all the facts, but unless you put all the bull**** and jargon in, your answer in useless.

Also, we did our first ABQ on Thursday. The first one, three weeks before the mocks, and I'm finding them difficult, when I know most people think grand, guaranteed marks.

:mad:

Rant over! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

djcervi wrote: »

I agree with that part because it is worst subject to study for and it is very long. Also there is a very large amount of of writing involved because the long questions are a min. of 1/2 an A4 page and there is a few of them.

Ughhhhh, I hate business! It used to be one of my favourite subjects at JC, and the LC has butchered it. There's just waaaay too much stuff to learn, and the questions are awkward. Sometimes it seems that you could know every single thing possible from the book, give all the facts, but unless you put all the bull**** and jargon in, your answer in useless.

Also, we did our first ABQ on Thursday. The first one, three weeks before the mocks, and I'm finding them difficult, when I know most people think grand, guaranteed marks.

:mad:

Rant over! :D

Know Units 1,2 and 3 inside out and you should be grand. They are the easiest units you can have for the ABQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

unknown13 wrote: »
    I agree with that part because it is worst subject to study for and it is very long. Also there is a very large amount of of writing involved because the long questions are a min. of 1/2 an A4 page and there is a few of them.

Business isn't long at all... Have you seen the biology course?? It's way longer and harder.

I think bus. is pretty easy. You can jus bull**** so much, I have for the last 2 years and my average is a C1. With a bit of study this should move up toa B

Buy a Revise wise as it's helped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

Business is all about method. If you use the corrct method its not hard to do extremely well..

The first thing to remember is whenever you answer a question you STATE-EXPLAIN-EXAMPLE.

That is how the paper is marked. they look for definition then an explanation to see you understand it and then your own example.

If a question is worth 25 marksthey are usually looking for 5 points etc

Its really not a bad subject. All about timing and method

I took it up after christmas and got an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

I started Business this year, I like it. A lot of common sense and JC revision so it's good. Yes, the marking scheme threw me off a bit and I started to worry but now I see it's not as bad.

However, sometimes I find myself unable to find examples for simple questions! There was one question, something like "How would a business go about being more environmentally friendly?" I mean.. there are loads and I was sitting there - my mind a complete blank!

Looking for a ~B3/C1 in the LC. However, I believe I could get higher if I put in a lot of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Has anybody got any pre papers I'd like to get as much practice as I can. Thanks

try www.examinations.ie

the marking schemes are up there too so you can see what you actually get marks for and what ya dont....

Id recommend answering in point form as well and ALWAYS give examples!
    hope that helps a bit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Anybody got the marking scheme for 1999 by any chance? Just want to go over the ABQ part

I'm doing ABQs myself at the moment.

Just wondering when answering, should I use a similiar method to English? (Point, Quote, Explain)?

How much time should I spend on one? 80marks is a lot =/

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Gloom wrote: »
    I'm doing ABQs myself at the moment.

Just wondering when answering, should I use a similiar method to English? (Point, Quote, Explain)?

How much time should I spend on one? 80marks is a lot =/

Leave about ten minutes to read over at the end. 80/120 is a fifth, I'm not sure about how long the paper is! If it's 3 hours, I think it is, that's 36 minutes. So 35-40min as you will probably have some spare from the short Q's! And you make your point without an example, then give an example and quote from the text then. Also, answering in bullet points helps. Well it helps me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Gloom wrote: »

yes! it doesnt have to be a long quote just a few words, its essential! silly as it sounds not like you have to remember the info a lot of it is in front of you, but yeah thats the state exam commision for you! :D

Thanks a bunch, guys! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Don't forget to always give an example.;)

Don't forget to always give an example.;)

I guess it wouldn't be business without providing a lot of examples!

Advertisement