Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I repressurise the boiler

Options
  • 09-01-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, we came home from work today to find that the house was cold. The boiler pressure has dropped to zero, and can't figure out how to repressurise it. Its Potterton Ultra 2. The house is about 10-11 years old so I imagine so is the boiler. Yesterday it was working fine. All the rads were hot and today nothing... no heat no hot water.

Have been checking the web for help as we have no manual. Cannot find the silver tube that some mention. I think it is probably for the Combi version.

Any hints on repressurising will help, otherwise we will have a freezing weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Fill it back up with water.
    Ours has a leak in the basement and every few weeks I have to pump it up a bit.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

In my hot press there is a black knob that you turn to let water into the system (obviously it should be closed to start off with). Might be something similar with yours. You just need someone to watch the pressure gauge on the boiler as you let the water in. I think the ideal pressure is 1bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sth wrote: »
    Any hints on repressurising will help, otherwise we will have a freezing weekend.
    You don't live in East Meath by any chance?

You can get an attic based pump. We had similar problems and had to connect our freshwater supply into the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sth

we live in South Dublin.

Have checked all the knobs in hot press all are wide open and all the valves on the pipes in and out of the boiler in the kitchen are open too (brass valves on pipes are all vertical).

Cannot see a pump anywhere will check the attic...

Will let you know if that helps

One valve somewhere must be closed otherwise the mains water would be constanty pumping through the system. With mine I actually have to open two valves to get the water pumping.

• Advertisement

Checked the attic. There is no pump there, just two connected cold water tanks. Both have water and no leaks anywhere.

Do not understand what has changed from yesterday to today that is stopping the water from getting to the boiler.

kildara,

how do you pump up your system? I am thinking that ours is inside the boiler casing. I can hear it trying to go a soft whirring noise but not the usual noise that comes when it is succeeding to pump the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

If you have a pressurised system you have to have some sort of valve connected to the mains somewhere to let water into the system, It could be in the hotpress, possibley in the boiler or even in the attic but there should be something somewere. Mine is a little clock type pressure gauge with a black knob underneath which I have to turn to let water in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

No6 wrote: »
    If you have a pressurised system you have to have some sort of valve connected to the mains somewhere to let water into the system, It could be in the hotpress, possibley in the boiler or even in the attic but there should be something somewere. Mine is a little clock type pressure gauge with a black knob underneath which I have to turn to let water in.

Agreed, It's got to be somewhere. Look for a dial that has numbers from 0 to 3 or more. Th valve may be close to that.
    Jim.

sth wrote: »
    kildara,

how do you pump up your system? I am thinking that ours is inside the boiler casing. I can hear it trying to go a soft whirring noise but not the usual noise that comes when it is succeeding to pump the water.

I open two valves to pump mains water into the system. The valves I use are located right under the boiler.

• Advertisement

Well it turned out that the fan had stopped and pressure was just a red herring. The Bord Gais man came out, checked the valves, unscrewed the casing and sprayed some oil on the fan to make it go. Apparently it is on its way out and will need replacing (something always needs replacing with boilers and it is always expensive; how exactly can a fan cost 500quid?) He did it so quickly I didn't see where the fan was but I at least have some clue as to what to do if the if stops again.

I guess the system is gravity fed then as the pressure is still at 0 but rads are warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you have two tanks in the attic then you have an atmospheric system. It will top itself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

ART6 wrote: »
    If you have two tanks in the attic then you have an atmospheric system. It will top itself up.

unless it has a non return valve.... Then that would have to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

HI
    I had the same problem with the fan , it is a common problem.
    Here is the manual on line.

http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2250/I04-2250/I04-2250.htm#zfan

The fan is held on by a couple of screws at the top.

I had to oil mine as well and was thinking about a new fan from this crowd
    http://www.keeptheheaton.co.uk but instead replaced the boiler as it was having other problems.

Advertisement