Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheelchair for dogs?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all! I posted in the missing thread a few days ago as my dog had gone missing. He's been found, he was knocked down by a car and unfortunately it broke his back and is paralysed in his back legs. I'm heartbroken as I've had him since he was born and don't want to let him go without a fight. Apart from this injury he is himself, he tried to crawl out to me from his cage. He doesnt feel any pain in this injury. If he did feel pain i would never contemplate any other decision. This dog has been my best friend for the best part of 10 years and I dont want to just give up on him without exhausting all other options, he never gave up on me all the times i had a bad day crying, snuggling into him. So i'd like to know if anyone has got a wheelchair for their dog and how they got on with it? Might seem like a crazy idea but i think he deserves at least me looking into it.

Sorry for the long post! and Thank you if you've read this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

What exactly are his injuries? Did the vet do a scan/xray to determine where the spine has been severed?

It depends on the quality of life your dog will have when fitted with wheels. Is he able to pass feces without help and empty his bladder? All this has to be taken into consideration.

Have a look here:

http://www.dogmobile-online.com/?gclid=COWFj_W_gpgCFU4e3godsh5pCg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 codeblack

Thanks for the reply and the link Egar, the vet did an xray and his back is broken. He can use his head, neck and front (upper) body, lower body is paralysed. He can pass faeces and urine on his own, but will need to be cleaned etc. I understand a lot have to be taken into consideration, his quality of life is the most important. I'm just looking into things. And I just wanted to see if anyone had a similiar story to mine, and if a wheelchair worked for their dog or not in Ireland, to get some first hand experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I know of one person and that person is in Co. Clare too, I have PM'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

There was a tv programme on recently about disabled pets, and one dog got a wheelchair and seemed delighted with himself.

I'm sorry I'm not able to give any more useful information but I hope it works out for you. As long as the dog isn't suffering you are right to look into all the options.

When you say he can go to the toilet - is he able to control this or does it just happen to him whenever he needs to go? One of my friend's dogs is incontinent and is very distressed every time he has an accident. But I believe you can get pet "nappies" too so maybe that is another option.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The hardest thing is this situation is to try to forget your emotions & really think what is best for the dog. These decisions are never easy but your dog depends on you to make them. It's incredibly hard & I wish you all the luck in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

There is an amazing orthopaedic vet in Dublin, can't for the life of me remember his name now, he's in Sutton, Billy McCartney or McCarthy I think. Depending obviously on what the xrays etc came up with on your dog, maybe you could ask your vet whether surgery would be an option. One of my cats had her ribs smashed to pieces, nothing at all that my vet could do, but Billy did an amazing job on her and now she's good as new and you'd never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sorry to hear about your poor dog. It must be heartbraking. I have no experience with dogs and wheelchairs myself but any dog I have seen with one seemed really happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fatcat

Hi Floatingsmartie,

So sorry to hear about your dog. That must be very traumatic for you.

I was looking at a website a few days ago. They're based in Canada but may be able to help you?

www.twotuttlesfourpaws.com

The very best of luck with your decision.

Advertisement