Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting NTL Broadband.

Options
  • 09-01-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

I'm really irritated by this and I have to vent. Sorry if it doesn't belong here.
    Basically I know a bunch of people, all with NTL. A mate of mine got 20 meg BB last month and then another mate got it only at the beginning of this week. All of them without a hitch. I'm after moving into a new place and I'm really missing having the net so I ring NTL and everything is going fine and then they request a copy of photo ID and a utilities bill in my name. (We only have the ESB and that's in my roommates name.)
    So we're setting it up in my roommates name and it turns out he's lost his passport (his only photo ID) so we leave it.
    I talk to a few people and not one of them had been requested to give a copy of bill or ID. This really rankled me. I called again and the guy on the phone (different guy) was much more agreeable. He set me up with an account and took my bank details after telling me that Direct Debit was the only way to pay. He then set up an instalation date. Then today I get a call off some girl telling me I have to send in a copy of a bill (or letter from landlord) along with a copy of ID or they'll cancel the installation. That's the situation so far.
    No one I have spoken out of close to a dozen people with NTL have ever had to do this which is why it's getting to me. It feels like someone is pulling the piss. I won't be able to get a letter from the landlord on time for the installation. The friend that got NTL at the start of the week also told me that he isn't paying direct debit but is getting a bill sent to him. What the Hell. It's just all dragging on. Does anybody in there have a clue what they're at?
    Now that I finish writing this I realise it's probably going in the wrong forum, it being but a rant. Mods feel free to move.
    PS. I really want the freakin' internet already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

surely you have a driver licence/ passport / garda ID / college ID and can get a bill off the landlord?

Whats the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

had similar problem recently regards, copy of passport etc, absolute pain in the hole, typical NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm speaking from experience here:

DON'T F*****G TOUCH NTL! They are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I've only heard of it once - where a friend moved into an apartment previously rented by someone who did a legger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There is already a box in the place. If it were true of the previous tennants it's still no reason to screw about with us! Bah.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tell them you just moved in. You have no utilities in your name yet because you've just stared to rent the place. Provide an ID, passport or drivers licence, and you should have it installed in a week. Know the right things to say man. If you start giving out to them on the phone, they're not exactly going to bend over for you......:D

I didn't give out at all. I was very reasonable. They didn't budge. I think maybe I should have argued. I'll get the net sorted eventually. It just annoys me that I'm being treated unfairly.
    It seems it's happened to one or two others. What was the situation with you guys respectively? Get everything in shape eventually?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Iirc correctly wasn't somebody complaining on here recently about UPC insisting on them faxing in a passport photo or equivalent.

At least they haven't started looking for deposits yet!! :rolleyes: (or have they?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

It's almost definitely because that address has a previous unpaid account.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

As previous credit control ar5ehole in 2 telephone companies, I can assure you that they have the previous guys details. The new account should be opened, and the other account forwarded to debt collectors immediately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If you have multiple people renting a house, you could just ring up and give another flatmates name and say you just moved in and don't know anything about previous bills.

That's why they want a current bill.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Its cos you are getting a new installation they want all that, not cos you want the broadband. My mate just bought a house off someone and was asked for all that crap too cos they said it was a brand new installation in his name, he had just bought the place so we had no bills and they ended up taking a solicitors letter begrudgingly along with a copy of his passport. Its standard these days with any contract you setup to request a bill from you though, shur even xtra vision ask for one just to open an account.

Well I just got an automated message from NTL to confirm installation. I'm just going to wait and see if the guy comes out or not.
    I really regret giving these people bank details. I really truely regret it. I'll be keeping an eye out for unjustified direct debit for a while, especially if they end up not installing BB! :eek:

Advertisement