Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Dog Pound in Dromiskin

Options
  • 09-01-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a rescue dog from the pound in Dromiskin. Has anyone taken a dog from this pound before. I've heard so many stories about other pounds - how they have a set of strict rules that you have to follow, like home visits every so often.
    I have a good home to offer a dog and it would be well looked after, but I don't want to feel like the dog doesn't belong to me if someone from the pound is going to keep checking up all the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Talula

You'll get all the info you need on
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/index.aspx?deptid=33&dpageid=0_dogs

No home visits(as far as I know), you have to give them a couple of quid but that covers your first years licence and they give your a voucher to get the dog neutered(if you wish). I nearly got a dog from the pound this year, it had been rehomed when I got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

I have this site myself and I look at it everyday. It's not that I would mind a home visit, but not all the time. I just want to feel that the dog I get is mine and I don't think it would feel that way if I knew they were going to keep doing home visits all the time. But maybe that isn't the case with the pound in Dromiskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 morobar

I got a dog from the pound in Dromiskin 2 yrs ago and I've never got a home visit or the idea was never raised... things might have changed since then, but I doubt it. They micro-chip each dog, so I think they're happy that they can keep track of the dog that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

No home visits, my sis got a dog there a few years ago and they have never checked. Fair play, pity there weren,t more like you.
    rescue dog,s --the only way to go!!:)

My own dog died last year, he was nearly 15 yrs. He was spoilt rotten. I would like to offer a rescue dog a home as I really miss having one in the house.
    Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement

Just forgot to ask this - do the people in the pound check that the dog is friendly. I'd hate to get one that I couldn't trust. I watch these animal programmes on tv and all the dogs are usually tested for different things - being friendly etc. Just wondered if the pound would do the same type of tests as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 delgany

Home checks don't mean that the dog will be taken off you, especially if you are looking after the dog, which you sound like you really are.

Try http://petsireland.invisionzone.com There are lots of people on there trying to get dogs out of pounds and into good homes, including someone working from Dundalk pound

Good Luck with it. I have two rescue dogs and love them to bits. They give us so much in affection and company.

Graceland, about the dog being friendly - the pounds will not release dogs that have shown aggression. Also, check out the petsireland website, as many organisations on there offer you the chance to foster a dog to see if it suits you. We fostered our second dog while a home was being found for him, but we decided to keep him as he suited us and got on with our other dog.

Thanks for that site, I will have a look at it now. I'd love to get a dog soon and a rescue dog seems the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

You want a dog but your afraid of the home visits????

You're not Korean by any chance? :)

on a serious note, there's also a cat and dog home in Collon that is run by a very nice English couple. I would also suggest the younger dog you get the better. Good luck.

You want a dog but your afraid of the home visits????

You're not Korean by any chance? :)

on a serious note, there's also a cat and dog home in Collon that is run by a very nice English couple. I would also suggest the younger dog you get the better. Good luck.

I have no problem with home visits, but someone told me that there are certain pounds that will do home visits all the time, for as long as you have the dog. I don't want that because I wouldn't feel that the dog belonged to me, I would feel like he always belonged to the pound if that was the case. I don't mind one or two visits, but not all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement