Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone help me move my website to another hosting company

Options
  • 09-01-2009 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have an account with Blacknight and i need to move my site accross and havent got a clue how. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

I have an account with Blacknight and i need to move my site accross and havent got a clue how. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Where u moving to? it will be a matter of logging into your old site and copying over all the files and folders, then registering your domain name for your new IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Download the entire site including the DB if any to your local computer.
    make sure you have everything.

Setup the new account over with the new hosting company.
    They should be able to give you a temporary url to access your website.
    Upload all files and make sure everything is OK, then change the DNS to reflect the new IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

sorry shane . I mean that i am with another hosting provider and i am moving the site to blacknight as i have an account with them.
    I have downloaded the site with filezilla but i dont know how to do anything with the blacknight stuff.
    I have the site on disc but cant find how to get it onto blacknights server

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This thread might be of help;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055453095

If you downloaded all files via Filezilla from your old server then use the same application to connect to your FTP account on Blacknight and upload the files into the public_html folder. If you dont know your FTP details for Blacknight - check your welcome email from them or contact their support team.

Once this is done you can then update your domain name to point to Blacknights name servers. I assume your domain name is already assigned to Blacknight under your account?

If your not familar with Filezilla let me know and ill give you the link to a tutorial I created (I just need to update it to remove some private info as it was for a client who wanted to use it and not a CMS).

If your going ahead with a redesign - you could get the designers to do it for you :)

Advertisement