Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happens if you fail an exam

• 09-01-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Guys just wounderin what happens if you fail one of your January exams? I hope it wouldn be me, but its just out of interest. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Woods Girl

It depends what department your exam is in. I know in the the economics department we had to get 25%+ not to repeat an exam and an average of 40% in all the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭raviravi

The results you will get after your January exams are only provisional and you wont get your "real" results until after the exam boards sits in June after the May exams. If you do get a mark below 39.1 or 391/1000 you will have passed that module ad if it is not a required module you can still pass it if you get over 25 and have enough marks in your other modules to allow you compensate. You should check the exams office web page and check out the Marks and Standards or call into the Advisory Office and they will go through it with you. If you do fail i.e. get below 25 if you cannot compensate or get below 39 if it is a required module you should have the opportunity to repeat in the August exams provided it is offered as a repeat, if you check out your handbook for the subject you will be know if it is offered as a repeat or not.

I hope the above helps and is not too long winded but hopefully you wont be concerned with repeating and good luck with your exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You die. Sorry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Haha.

If you fail one exam you will have to repeat it in the August Repeat Exams.

Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

jayj224 wrote: »
    Hi Guys just wounderin what happens if you fail one of your January exams? I hope it wouldn be me, but its just out of interest. Thanks

you repeat in August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yo.

It depends. If you get less then 25% then you must repeat it in august.

If you got 26% to 39%, but you average mark from all exams taken in this exam period (i.e. Christmas) then you 'pass by compensation'

However, you can't pass an exam by compensation with exams from another period (i.e. summer), so if you got 39% in all you christmas exams but get 100% in all your summer exams, you still have to repeat the christmas exams.

Failing an exam is no big deal :)

All students should go to the Marks & Standards section of the exams webpage and should also check their relevant handbooks.

The only modules you cannot compensate are required modules you must get 40% in these modules to allow you progress. you cannot compensate between subjects only within a subject.

You can compensate within a subject in both sittings of the exams, that means if you get 25 in a module at christmas and 55 in a module in the same subject in the summer and have passed all your other modules in that subject you can compensate, you must have a 40 average in the subject to compensate

There are some modules that are not on offer to repeat in the autumn exams and again these are listed in your handbooks

If you have any queries re your exams you should talk to the Academic Advisory Office and they should be able to confirm any queries you may have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Yep, i remember in first year I compensated for one exam but I failed to reach the 50% minimum to progress in a particular subject, it was 45% or something. So I thought, ''sure I did nothing for that i'll ace it in the repeats''. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me do repeats in Autumn but I had the option of repeating externally the following year. So I got to waste a year of my life doing nothing for no apparent reason whatsoever or drop the subject .That rule is still there for some reason.

I dropped the subject naturally despite kind of liking it. Anyway four years later I have a degree and am doing a postgrad in the same department but a different college.The module in question, I now tutor people in.
    And to this day, I still don't know why that rule is there and what can possibly be accomplished by not giving someone a second chance, particularly a first year. Lets face it, anything can happen in first year.I mean if I had repeated I definitely would have gotten a first.I'll do the exam now!Just give me two days notice. It still pisses me off, it's there on my academic transcript.It's so retarded.

Anyway that was my first year failing exam story and it really pissed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

raviravi wrote: »
    you cannot compensate between subjects only within a subject.
    Not always the case, as in my course I was able to compensate my Computer Science modules with Maths modules but that is because my course takes them as one subject.

that is what i said you can only compensate within subjects!

see extract from marks and standards

"Subject
    These are the subjects, as listed in the University prospectus, which may be studied as part of a programme. Some programmes (such as CSSE and Electronic Engineering) are single subject programmes. Each subject is divided into subcomponents called modules and the mark obtained in the subject is compiled from an aggregate of the marks obtained in the modules of that discipline."

Here is the link for marks and standards section of NUIM where it is all explained!

http://examinations.nuim.ie/documents/Marks_and_standards_2007_2008.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

How does the CSSE system work ?? If I fail one of my extra science subjects but I get higher than 25% can I still pass the year ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nuim

hi all.... does any one know how much it is to repeat a year in maynooth? if not, how would i find out?

nuim wrote: »
    hi all.... does any one know how much it is to repeat a year in maynooth? if not, how would i find out?

It works out at approx 100euro per credit plus registration and student levy, if you are doing it as an internal repeat if you are allowed do it as an external repeat it costs 60 euro per module up to a max of 240 euro. You should call into the academic advisory office and they will give you a good picture of what is involved and the costs

Or just use the college website perhaps???

thanks raviravi...id be doing the whole year again like attending lectures an repeating whole year. At the min a year costs 1000 (well 970) including everyting ......so im jus wondering the rough cost ?? wouls it be more then 2,000 euro as Iv heard different?? would appreciate it if any repeat students out there know? thanks

Contact the fees office. They will tell you exactly how much it will cost. Hearsay off the internet wont tell you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

depends on the subject. a science subject, i would imagine, would be significantly more expensive than an arts subject. finding fees for non-national students on the nuim.ie site will give you an idea.

I can't stree this next point enough.

GO SEE ROSE IN ACADEMIC ADVISORY.

She will sort you out. Her office is in the annexe of the Arts Block, beside the language labs. She is a lovely woman and will do anything she can to help you, just be friendly.

Also, you have all of summer to repeat... Repeating the whole year might be a waste of time. Do the repeats in August, and don't make the same mistakes next year.

thanks for the replies... i am in 3rd yr nw at the min so nothing is definite yet.... i just want to get a rough idea of the cost before i go into the office as I wont be back in the college now only for exams. There is nothing on the maynooth website thats why im throwing it u on few boards

thanks raviravi...id be doing the whole year again like attending lectures an repeating whole year. At the min a year costs 1000 (well 970) including everyting ......so im jus wondering the rough cost ?? wouls it be more then 2,000 euro as Iv heard different?? would appreciate it if any repeat students out there know? thanks

the 970 you pay is a registration fee and not tuition fees, if you look at the fees and grants webpage you will see that the tuition fee for science is approx 5800 plus registration fee and as you do 60 credits per year it is almost 100 euro per credit so if you are repeating everything next year then you will be paying 5800 approx plus the reg fee for next year 1500 and the student levy of 72 but from experience if you have passed any modules you do not have to repeat those so if you have passed some modules in january then pass more in may and maybe in the repeats in august you are reducing the fees you would be liable for sorry for long sentence but comma key not working on laptop!!!! ps if you are on a grant then you do not get it when you are repeating unless you are repeating on medical grounds then you can make a case

thanks for the replies... i am in 3rd yr nw at the min so nothing is definite yet.... i just want to get a rough idea of the cost before i go into the office as I wont be back in the college now only for exams. There is nothing on the maynooth website thats why im throwing it u on few boards

all of the offices are open in maynooth when the students are off, the secretaries offices only close for their hols and some times they have cover in so you should always be able to get info from them so maybe you should go in to the office when you have finished your exam

• Advertisement

Look here. These are the people you want to contact, either in person or by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IAMKAET

Hi guys, i'm actually curious. If in one semester in the one subject (irish) i fail 2 subjects by about 10 percent each and passed 2 subjects by over 10 percent each, can i pass that semester by compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

Can anyone tell me, if you fail a compulsory module but pass the rest can you get a compensatory fail? Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

The only way to know that *for sure* is to check with your department.

Generally speaking, though, a compulsory module is one which you must take, but not necessarily pass. A required module is one you must pass.
    But in order to compensate, you'll still need 25% or more in your compulsory module.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If you fail an exam (in final year if that matters) and repeat and pass, is there a note of that made anywhere, could and employer find out?

If you pass your degree but repeat for better results do you graduate as ususal or in October?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

GarIT wrote: »
    If you fail an exam (in final year if that matters) and repeat and pass, is there a note of that made anywhere, could and employer find out?

If you pass your degree but repeat for better results do you graduate as ususal or in October?

Your employer could find out if they asked for your exam transcripts.

You graduate in August OCTOBER if you repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Your employer could find out if they asked for your exam transcripts.

You graduate in August if you repeat.

Thanks, did you mean October though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

GarIT wrote: »
    Thanks, did you mean October though?

Sorry, yea I did! My head was too concentrated on the date of the actual repeats! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Resolute16

Hi there,
    Just wondering is it the same (does the 25% apply) if you fail an exam (organic chemistry) in 2nd year but are dropping that module in 3rd year??

• Advertisement
Advertisement