Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car swap

Options
  • 09-01-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all, Im looking to trade or swap my car in. its a 1.6 Mitsubishi carisma, with nice alloys also. very clean 2002 car. I got quoted a hell of a lot on the insurance, so i need a smaller engine size to suit my income.. anyone got any ideas as to wat I should do.????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Shop around for your insurance a bit more. a Carisma is hardly a high risk car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dympns

thanx 4 the comment but the truth is im only back on the rd from an endorsement. I got quoted 3,000 on the carisma. so ill have get a smaller car...

jeekers. have you had any quotes on 1.0 cars, will it actually make enough of a difference to justify changing down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Carismas are nice reliable cars, but not at all desirable.You'd be lucky to get 2000e for it.

I would keep it, as they are a fine car.Call into a few brokers and check the differences between costs of engine sizes.

thx lads, yeah I should shop around with insurances on the carisma. just to see wat the difference is. I got a quote a couple of months ago on a 1.0 litre wolkwagen polo, that was from champion sparrow, they did the shopping around 4 me. They got a quote of 1,600 4 the polo. The 1,600 I can live with. But the thing is I dont have a polo I bloody well have a carisma which quinn direct have quoted me way 2 much. However now I need my own insurance as u knw, it needs to be back in ur own name 4 the insurance to go down. Im taking it to a few garages today. Will let ye knw wat they offer, if they offer any....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

dympns wrote: »
    thx lads, yeah I should shop around with insurances on the carisma. just to see wat the difference is. I got a quote a couple of months ago on a 1.0 litre wolkwagen polo, that was from champion sparrow, they did the shopping around 4 me. They got a quote of 1,600 4 the polo. The 1,600 I can live with. But the thing is I dont have a polo I bloody well have a carisma which quinn direct have quoted me way 2 much. However now I need my own insurance as u knw, it needs to be back in ur own name 4 the insurance to go down. Im taking it to a few garages today. Will let ye knw wat they offer, if they offer any....
    I'll swap ya a 96 Micra for it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

you could try www.carforecourt.ie, just put up what your looking for and what your trading and it emails your car to garages for you, might save you looking around.

Try XS direct. I normally shy away from these guys, but they could save you money. do a couple of searches for them and it'll give you an idea how they operate.

no thanx Graham, I may be in a bit of a rush to get driving but not for a 96 nissan mirca.. :eek:

cbyrne wrote: »
    you could try www.carforecourt.ie, just put up what your looking for and what your trading and it emails your car to garages for you, might save you looking around.
    Cheers CByrne will do that.. thanx

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Try XS direct. I normally shy away from these guys, but they could save you money. do a couple of searches for them and it'll give you an idea how they operate.
    Cheers Colm will give them lads a ring tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

dympns wrote: »
    Cheers Colm will give them lads a ring tomorrow...
    Yeah XS give good rates. If I were you I'd keep the head down for the year with those guys, don't do anything stupid. If you need to claim it'll cost you well more than the difference between them and Quinn. (Huge policy excess). What age are you and did you get 12 points or a ban?? Brokers are your best bet. Also are you looking for 3rd party F&T or Comp?

Yeah XS give good rates. If I were you I'd keep the head down for the year with those guys, don't do anything stupid. If you need to claim it'll cost you well more than the difference between them and Quinn. (Huge policy excess). What age are you and did you get 12 points or a ban?? Brokers are your best bet. Also are you looking for 3rd party F&T or Comp?
    I got endorsement , just got my licence bk in July, age 32. just looking 4 3rd party I suppose...

It should be noted that an XS direct policy on a cheap car effectively gives you less benefits than 3rd party as you have to pay a large excess if a claim is made.

The Carisma is worth very little anyhow, so it's a route I'd recommend you try, they give you the option of reducing the excess to a more reasonable amount for a bit extra, again something you should weigh up.

Advertisement