Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Know of any Lourdes Pilgrimages in Feb 2009?

• 09-01-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I'm looking for a pilgrimage to Lourdes in Feb 2009. I've found one originating in UK but would prefer something originating in Ireland. Do you know of any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

The whole "Apparition of the Virgin" at Lourdes is simply another example of how the Catholic Church "catholosized" an event that had little or nothing to do with the Catholic religion much in the same way pagan festivals were taken over and transformed into more acceptable "Christian" events.

During the winter of 1858 a young girl named Bernadette Soubirous from the Pyreneen region of South West France reported seeing "a tiny figure dressed in white" or as she described her in the dialect of French she spoke "uo petito damisela"

It is important to note that the word "damiseala" had a very specifc connotation in this and other parts of France at the time. "Damisealas" was the name given to mythical "forest fairies" who dressed in white and disappeared if anybody came too close. At no time did the young girl claim to have seen the Virgin Mary.

The Catholic Church in the area were in fact quite concerned about the buzz created by this sighting (and subsequent sightings) and saw it as a threat to their own religious authority. Thousands of pilgrims visiting a Pagan shrine was obviously not ideal.

So the Catholic Church did what only the Catholic Church can do in these situations and claimed the "petito damisela" for themselves under the new guise of "La Vierge" in an attempt to divert the religious fervour back to themselves. On 18 January 1860, the local bishop declared that it was in fact The Virgin Mary that appeared to Bernadette Soubirous. This was common practice in France at the time and the hundreds of Pagan stone formations with crude crosses hammered or carved into them scattered around France are a testament to this.

Source : Graham Robb,The discovery of France, Picadour, 2007 P113-117

I also lived in this area of France (1999-2000) for a year and had this explanation repeated to me on numerous occasions by amused locals delighted at seeing the hoards of visitors spending silly amounts of money in their town every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hi, I'm looking for a pilgrimage to Lourdes in Feb 2009. I've found one originating in UK but would prefer something originating in Ireland. Do you know of any?
    Hello FG, I have a particular fondness of Lourdes after 2 trips there. The first trip was a major turning point in my life.

You could try Joe Walshe tours - http://www.joewalshtours.ie/Pilgrimages/Lourdes/Lourdes_Introduction.html

After that I don't know.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Would a "forest fairy" call herself the "Immaculate Conception"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

would prefer something originating in Ireland.
    Personally, I'd recommend avoiding the place until the gastro-enteritis that's on the prowl there has cleared up permanently:

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=19025

Four people have died so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

branie wrote: »
    Would a "forest fairy" call herself the "Immaculate Conception"?

Would a worried Catholic church add a few "facts" to suit their aims ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Guys, the OP asked a simple question. Let's not drag this off topic. If you want discuss Lourdes and it's outbreaks of gastro-enteritis that's just fine, but do it in another thread.

Advertisement