Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Hosting

Options
  • 10-01-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi guys/girls,

I am looking into moving my gaa club's website to our own server and hosting from there rather than the current service we use. A club member is developing a new site and would prefer this option for flexibility and control.

Can anyone tell me what sort of upload speed would be required on the broadband connection to make this feasible or am I thinking too simplistically.

Thanks for any advice,

ajk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ajk24 wrote: »
    Hi guys/girls,

I am looking into moving my gaa club's website to our own server and hosting from there rather than the current service we use. A club member is developing a new site and would prefer this option for flexibility and control.

Can anyone tell me what sort of upload speed would be required on the broadband connection to make this feasible or am I thinking too simplistically.

Thanks for any advice,

ajk

Does your ISP provide you with a static IP ?
    Hosting on a home connection is a really bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Have you any web stats running on the current site - to gauge what sort of traffic the site encounters? It's generally inadvisable unless your site attracts a tiny amount of traffic and you want to save money (Keep in mind that webhosting for such a site costs only a few euro per year these days)
    Also, do you have a static IP address?
    Oh, and you should check the T&C of your ISP contract to see whether hosting is permitted...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The receission can't be that bad. Hosting isn't that expensive for basic accounts. Lot less problems that way and you'd have it spent on electricity from having your PC on anyways.
    By the way have you thought about DNS, read ISP T&C as some don't allow you, static IP etc. So much to worry about when you could pay just a few euro a month for a proper host.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Karoma wrote: »
    Have you any web stats running on the current site - to gauge what sort of traffic the site encounters? It's generally inadvisable unless your site attracts a tiny amount of traffic and you want to save money (Keep in mind that webhosting for such a site costs only a few euro per year these days)
    Also, do you have a static IP address?
    Oh, and you should check the T&C of your ISP contract to see whether hosting is permitted...

As we are starting from scratch again I am just sussing out all options.
    The previous person tasked with setting up the website use Register.com and their online editing tool which is very restricted.

The guy doing the development now knows his stuff in terms of developing the site but has done all previous development for his company and has not had to deal with hosting.

We want the site to be easily editable by lots of people (each would be restricted to their own team/section).

I think the reason our developer was put off hosting services at first glance was being restricted to using certain tools (probably not the right term) - he is using jpublish, mysql and some other bits and pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Dude for such a website a hosting plan will save you a lot of time and hassle. Your talking maybe €50 a year for a hosting package. The tools available by hosting companies are merely there for people who don't know how to delelop a website and should have no impact on your decision to host or not. Basic hosting packages also come with as many Mysql databases as you like.

Having different sections updateable by different people will require a small bit of work but should be no problem for someone who knows what their doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hosting on your own dsl line, tbh for the price of webhosting these days its a waste of time/efford and money to host on your own dsl or cable connection

look at likes of blackknight.ie, godaddy.com etc etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My personal recommendation is to get the basic blacknight hosting package - i promise you will not be dissappointed. I've used many and always recommend them best

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I am going to assume this developer didnt suggest setting up a hosting server in the office or something, did he?! Madness! Hosting online is dirt cheap outside of Ireland but its cheap enough in Ireland also. We cant discuss or recommend hosting on Boards unfortuantely but look around.

Hopefully the money you are paying (if any) the developer will give you a decent looking website with a great and easy to use backend. The amount of people out there who say they can do it and charge 2k+ for something a child with no experience could do is shocking. The websites these guys create are shocking and often people dont realise it until its to late.

Advertisement